Ken S

New ride. My first big bike.

Picked up new 18 1090R at Moto World today. 

Bring on the suggestions for mods. 

How do you raise front fender. 

What exhaust are you running 

I want to stay as light as possible but need storage enough for weekend trips

Suspension 101 complete springs and revalve soon to come. 

C5DAFDA8-9DC8-4670-93B5-99EF097A2654.jpeg

663E58BD-DEFB-4DC7-8FA9-9D222BE8E932.jpeg

92238DD9-4605-445A-ABF2-7229BCD6A2B6.jpeg

51844933-A503-48F8-8BF1-12304A681A22.jpeg

• Like 1

Sweet, congrats. I'd really love to move up from my 950 Adventure.

Just ride it.  It really needs nothing...................    Of course that will never happen but seriously ride it !    Truly amazing bike.

Check out mosko Moto reckless bags.

Very capable stable Ken 

I'm a Black Dog fan for protection and Mosko for bags 

Broke mine in last year on the CDT - truly amazing machine 

My 990 had the front fender ripped off from Utah mud, I'll wait for that to happen again before I put the raised fender on 

good luck with it

2014_ROCKY_MOTO_145.png

1 hour ago, Riggerdan said:

My 990 had the front fender ripped off from Utah mud, I'll wait for that to happen again before I put the raised fender on 

:o:heh:

Congrats on the new ride!

Mosko Moto is having a meetup this afternoon in north park, you might want to check it out.

Wow! Nice Bike! Enjoy!

17 hours ago, Oracle said:

Sweet, congrats. I'd really love to move up from my 950 Adventure.

Really ?  In my opinion, the 950 is perfect.

Just curious why you'd want to move up ?

I will put you in contact with Fred, Andy, Steve , Steve and Tommy, those are (guaranteed) the most hardcore 1090 local guys, also they all have S101 suspension, George has the set ups in his data books for more A level hard riding of the beast.

Those guys all rip on their 1090s. I know you have seen them on the trail. They have hard adv set ups fairly dialed after all their hardcore trail and dirt road trips. Ken PM your email I don't think I have it , I will connect you. The 1090 is more sporty than the other 1 liter ADV bikes in the inventory. Check Motofred on Instagram for some fun viddies and fotos of FahQ MC 1090 action

17 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

Mainly because my near future plans include some significant road miles in with my adventure rides. The 950 is antiquated for the road, IMO. Braking is horrendous and suspension dive makes the 950 unstable on faster sections of roadway. I'm attracted to the ABS, traction control, 4 different power options, updated ergonomics, updated suspension, and overall more advanced features of the newer Adventure bikes. I want the ability to jump on the bike and shred up to San Fran via 1 / 101 for the weekend and feel a bit safer doing it. The 950 still has it's place, no doubt about that, but for road rides, that 1090r is a much better choice.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

Randy did you ever ride the newer KTM twins? They are so much different than the first generation ones. SMOOTH! 

Have ridden them all and I am still riding the 990.

After dial in the 1090R 1190R did surprise me as I did not expect them to be even close to the 990 off road.

They are good though.

Travel limited on the 1090R but still can be set up to haul ass off road as Ken will confirm.

I think the 950 is good because of a lack of electronics that can strand you. World travel definitely the 950 otherwise they are all a blast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

I want the ability to jump on the bike and shred up to San Fran via 1 / 101 for the weekend and feel a bit safer doing it. 

Ohhh...go up the middle.
1/101 is really not what you want- I can help you when you're ready.

1 hour ago, Suspenders said:

Have ridden them all and I am still riding the 990.

After dial in the 1090R 1190R did surprise me as I did not expect them to be even close to the 990 off road.

They are good though.

Travel limited on the 1090R but still can be set up to haul ass off road as Ken will confirm.

I think the 950 is good because of a lack of electronics that can strand you. World travel definitely the 950 otherwise they are all a blast.

That is why the 990 Baja is so good.  No ABS.  Just straight gigantic dirt bike with no electronic bs to work with.  I am surprised how well it rips on the road/canyons too.  I don't mind putting a knee out, moving up on the front of the bike to weight the front tire, and gettin' some into a corner with it when using a 60/40 tire.  LB does have a point.  It is not a sport touring bike, is divey on the brakes, and lacks some road finesse of newer bikes (traction control and all the other wizbang gizmos).

Just did my first ride. Viejas grade to Descanso. Slab to Lake Cuyamaca. Boulder Creek back to Descanso. Japatul Valley to Alpine. 

Im in love. 

It has a name already.

The mistress 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mikey777 said:

That is why the 990 Baja is so good.  No ABS.  Just straight gigantic dirt bike with no electronic bs to work with. 

Well..sorta?

True, the Baja has no ABS and that's fine- but ABS doesn't cause any issues I've ever heard about- especially when it's disabled.

Other than that, the Baja is identical to the other 990s (oh- stickers) with all the other electronic bs.

And that includes the White 2011 990, the finest motorcycle ever conceived by nonspecifichigherpower.