SoCalMule

For your health my friend!

I want you all to have as many fantastic Birthday rides as possible during your lifetime; just like the ride that I had today with Dave, Paul, Dan and Jim!! If one person takes this information to heart, then I am so grateful!

Blessings of good health to you all!

The Happy Mule!

• Like 2

Lost my Grandmother-In-Law in December; she suffered from diabetes for as long as I knew her.  Many friends also currently struggling with this; I will be sure to pass on-thank you!

13 hours ago, simicrintz said:

Lost my Grandmother-In-Law in December; she suffered from diabetes for as long as I knew her.  Many friends also currently struggling with this; I will be sure to pass on-thank you!

I'm sorry for your family's loss Bruce.

50% of "all Americans" are Insulin Resistant and or pre diabetic. It's the Standard American Diet (SAD) which focuses on Grains, Potatoes, and Sugar... these raise glucose within the body beyond its capability to process it, thus, storing any fats that we may consume. This reason is why there was/is a low fat food protocol. Humans burn fat storage as long as there is not a lot of glucose to burn first. Treating diabetes is a $225 Billion Dollar a year money maker; doing the math sets medical/food policy. This "low carb high fat protocol" not only treats diabetes but also treats...heart disease, inflammation, cancer, hypertension, high cholesterol, and many other diseases. 

This is a good message for all people to consider. Do your own research on the topic; this is for everybody's health. 

The Hopefully Helpful Mule

Thanks for checking in but I'm confused. So is it best low fat diet or low carb diet? Higher protein?  thanks

10 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

I'm sorry for your family's loss Bruce.

Thanks, Mark.  I went vegetarian for a couple of years after my Dad died (1995) but strayed after a few years.  I still try to eat relatively healthy (I am one year away from being as old as Dad was when he died, so I try to be sensible) and appreciate this kind of information!

8 hours ago, robertaccio said:

Thanks for checking in but I'm confused. So is it best low fat diet or low carb diet? Higher protein?  thanks

Robert, there’s a lot of info that " fat " is not the culprit that was once thought! When you combine bad fats with carbs is when it’s dangerous!  

In a nut shell, low carb, but not necessarily high protein. When someone is insulin resistant is when they should go really low carbs.

I did a low carb/keto way of eating which is high fat, good fat ( 75 % caloric intake ), moderate protein ( 20% caloric intake), and 5% carbs, eating good carbs with fiber, mostly vegetables and nuts. I stayed away from processed stuff almost completely.

I started last June, and today I’m down a little over 60lbs. from my heaviest. I’ve gained about 10 lbs back making poor eating choices, and I can really feel the difference in my mood, I feel more aches and pains, and my hands get noticeably more swollen when I eat sugar and carbs like bread. Prior to starting my diet change, my a1c was at 6, last time it was 4.9

My blood pressure prior was usually in the 130’s/80’s with a resting pulse in the 75-90 range! It was well below that last time, I think it was like 90/60 with a pulse at 60. 

Even if you are not insulin resistant, there’s a great benefit from being able to become fat adapted, meaning that your body is using fat as energy instead of glucose. When you’re creating energy from fat and you run out of caloric energy, you don’t crash like you would if your body is only used to using glucose as energy because it can now use your own fat as energy! There’s lots of athletes now becoming fat adapted, even the marathon runners have enough fat on their body to use as fuel in reserve.

Sorry if I rambled too much?

Mark, thanks for posting that video, it’s one of the videos I watched early on to help me change my ways of eating. I needed to see that to get me back on track!🙏🏻

9 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

Robert, there’s a lot of info that " fat " is not the culprit that was once thought! When you combine bad fats with carbs is when it’s dangerous!  

In a nut shell, low carb, but not necessarily high protein. When someone is insulin resistant is when they should go really low carbs.

I did a low carb/keto way of eating which is high fat, good fat ( 75 % caloric intake ), moderate protein ( 20% caloric intake), and 5% carbs, eating good carbs with fiber, mostly vegetables and nuts. I stayed away from processed stuff almost completely.

I started last June, and today I’m down a little over 60lbs. from my heaviest. I’ve gained about 10 lbs back making poor eating choices, and I can really feel the difference in my mood, I feel more aches and pains, and my hands get noticeably more swollen when I eat sugar and carbs like bread. Prior to starting my diet change, my a1c was at 6, last time it was 4.9

My blood pressure prior was usually in the 130’s/80’s with a resting pulse in the 75-90 range! It was well below that last time, I think it was like 90/60 with a pulse at 60. 

Even if you are not insulin resistant, there’s a great benefit from being able to become fat adapted, meaning that your body is using fat as energy instead of glucose. When you’re creating energy from fat and you run out of caloric energy, you don’t crash like you would if your body is only used to using glucose as energy because it can now use your own fat as energy! There’s lots of athletes now becoming fat adapted, even the marathon runners have enough fat on their body to use as fuel in reserve.

Sorry if I rambled too much?

Mark, thanks for posting that video, it’s one of the videos I watched early on to help me change my ways of eating. I needed to see that to get me back on track!🙏🏻

Jim you wrote every word perfectly!

Robert, I have/had a low back injury; L5 S1 nerve impingement. It was necessary for me to retire from the Coast Guard at 20 years due to being off of flight orders. 22 years ago I started the Atkins style of eating which was low carb high protein. This worked at the time to keep my weight down and my back pain to a minimum for years but I had issues with not receiving enough of the proper nutrients for overall health. In the past few years I have done many hours of research into the fat adaption Keto type diet that Jim mentions here, and adopted this lifestyle since. I've lost 60 pounds and have kept them off for over three years and as Jim said I don't feel sluggish, have more mental clarity, along with lower blood pressure, lower heart rate, along with perfect glucose/insulin rates during blood tests. This all translates into a better off road bike rider in many ways! I don't fatigue, I have to reset my sag on the bike to match my smaller human frame, Im more agile when the terain requires, and enjoy my Gram Jarvis abilities due to not lightening the bike with titanium bolts just keeping the weight off of my body which translates to" no back pain!" Sugar plus fat equals disaster in the human body! Good Fats like coconut, olive, avocado (no canola, vegetable, soybean, margarine etc) with 25-35 grams max of carbs per day provide amazing results, at least in my case, and the new science is backing this up. 

The more advanced protocol in all of this... is eating only during a six hour eating window. This allows the body to use up the glucose derived from food and then starts to use the stored fat (look at the belly) as fuel. I recommend small steps first. Keep carbs low... enjoy red meat and pork with low starch veggies, add a hunk of Dairy Gold butter or any of the other fats that I mentioned and don't cheat! Beef and butter (that's it) for a few days can reset your blood glucose level to lower inflammation and make your back feel great! Drink plenty of filtered water and watch how your back and joints feel! Amazing!

This takes commitment it is not for the meek! The family will need to be a little supportive. The governments food pyramid is upside down. So there will be some pushback till the science overwhelms and flips many minds like we are hoping happens here.

Cheers, The Lighter Healthier Mule

• Like 1

13 hours ago, simicrintz said:

Thanks, Mark.  I went vegetarian for a couple of years after my Dad died (1995) but strayed after a few years.  I still try to eat relatively healthy (I am one year away from being as old as Dad was when he died, so I try to be sensible) and appreciate this kind of information!

Glad to hear Bruce that you are concerned with healthy eating. Be careful as to what healthy eating truly translates to. One's healthy eating is another's...well you know what I mean.

10 minutes ago, 97xr400r said:

Yes! Johnny! Perfect addition to this conversation!

11 minutes ago, 97xr400r said:

Yes!

Hey family, I am considering (if there is enough interest) working with any SDAR member or their family members (for free) for one year as a guide, providing support in up-leveling the body to a way that supports a healthy, joy filled, grateful, life experience. I am a Holistic Life Coach with many years of experience and many clients with hugely positive outcomes in mind, body, spirit, balance and integration. I feel that right now is an important time for people to get off of the healthcare merry-go-round that is so profitable to everyone except to those that are currently riding it. I personally have demonstrated in my own life what to do to get healthy, stop the need for blood pressure medication, Statins, pain medication, GIRD Medication, anti inflammatory medications and allergy medications. Finding a way to live with cutting Grains, Potatoes, and Refined sugars from my food intake "without loosing" pizza and breads is awesome. It's all in the ingredients...no grains, no sugar etc.. I grew up in a baking family, I thought that there was no way that I could give up bread and pie, the grainless breads and rolls that Denise and I make are more flavorful and satisfying than any store bought bread out on the market and our bread has minimal effects to our insulin levels for which insulin is the fat storing hormone. 

If interested please PM me and I will start a list.

First off, I am not a doctor. I don't claim that I know everything about the body's physiology. Before starting any diet plan it is recommended that you contact your doctor prior to proceeding.

My idea is is this..and remember. this is Not a Diet program...Diets do not work. Yes, you heard me right! This is a holistic "Lifestyle Change" Not for the casual person thinking: I'll give it a couple of weeks".

Research information pertaining to the contestants for the tv show the biggest looser... not one of them have been able to keep the weight off they lost during that show. There are no reunion shows...guess why? Increasing exercise and cutting calories does not work. The body rejects this!  Having said this here is a rough sketch for what I would like to offer:

I will provide the opportunity to find out each person's perspective as to their current level of health, their goals, what they expect from this program, what they expect from me as a guide and this will be dynamic and adjusted as necessary. I will provide weekly contact with each person in a group setting or personal contact if requested. This can be completed via email, Skype, FaceTime, etc.. I will be sending out informative (science backed, medical doctor backed) video links, and research papers. I will provide some simple meal plans and recipes that can be easily adopted into any family's meal plan. I will answer any questions that the group or individual has to the best of my abilities and or forwarding contact info to those persons that may be able to answer a particular question better than I. 

I will provide a balanced way to approach life in which one can actually find their own ability to separate themselves from the drama(s) of life, to  have the ability to step back from any situation... breathe... and just observe the situation without becoming "part of" the drama. This "presence in the moment" helps the body's parasympathetic nervous system provide those happy endorphins; those "this too will pass" kind of feelings are now able to arise. This method gives those flight or flight hormones (cortisol) a rest. Check out what "adrenal fatigue" is and the affects on the human body are for having it. Many folks America have it! and there are many simple ways of putting it to rest (literally) permanently. 

I envision that within this group each participant can take personal ownership in creating a dynamic, supportive, caring experience... sharing in the groups successes, pushing through the rough patches... all the while sharing a caring heart for all in the group. 

Just putting this out there... I care, and that is my reward.

SCM

To add to this, fat satiates you too. It’s what triggers the hormone that tells your brain your full. Eating healthy organic fiber filled vegetables is also filling. There can be some concerns about eating this way,  so anyone interested should do their homework, especially if you’re taking any kind of heart meds or anything for high blood sugar. 

I had written this as you posted your last post, 

you’re awesome Mark, Mr Healthy Mule!

• Like 1