Sign in to follow this  
isde97

RD400 restorod project

On 4/25/2019 at 8:59 AM, robertaccio said:

I think you are on the correct track the KISS method and keep her close to OEM with some mods and modern tech thrown in. Best Idea, value is even enhanced when she is more OEM than less. I just think its brilliant that you still have the RD from new. Also tell me why again you are not riding an off road 2T machine? Hahahaha

The two stroke seed got replanted last July when I bought a KX100 for Duncan.  In the meantime, he has grown like 6 inches, so we picked up a XC150.  That thing is so cool, it feels like it weighs half as much as my 250.  If we are going to be riding more, maybe it is time for a new bike for me?  We went out to Cahuilla Creek today for his first MX track experience.

On the topic of weight, we put the RD on the scale, sans carbs, to see where we are starting from.  334 pounds, which is a lot less than I remembered, and 182 of those is on the rear wheel, which helps explain a lot. Considering how much of this bike is steel (brake calipers, triple clamps), I don't think it is going to take much of a diet to bring it down a bit.

And since we had to start somewhere- first thing to fix is something that has annoyed me since I got them, the lame appearing 1/4-20 hex head screws holding the silencer on were replaced with stainless Button Heads.  These have the advantage of having a 5/32 socket, which is essentially 4mm, so is half metric.  I am starting to develop an affinity for Torx drive, though, especially in Button Head/ Pan Head applications, so these may end up replaced again.

Incidently, I'm not seeing a way to have comments in line with pictures, so all the pictures are at the end.  Somebody please let me know if I'm missing something.

We got the carbs popped off and disassembled.  Kids, this is what happens when you park your bike for a couple of days and get back to it 23 years later.  The floats were pretty firmly bonded to the bottom of the float bowl, and that sludge was pretty hard.  Everything is soaking in Pine Sol right now and already looks way better.

I think I should replace the air filters, and already have replacements.  For expedience sake, it is going to be just the individual pods that were on the bike when I got it, although I have read the cool setup is the factory Y boot with a single filter and no airbox.  I will have to figure out how to handle this with the (non stock) 30mm carbs.

Screws.jpg

carbs.jpg

Floats.jpg

Filters.jpg

Are you sure you don't want to try to reuse those air filters?  😀

It's amazing how gummed up a set of carbs can get, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to salvage them.  Keep up the good work, this is going to be a cool bike when it's done.