erik_26

Serious discussion... get in here

It’s great to have so much choices in food, drink and motorcycles.  It’s also great that we can be snooty and say that our choices are right and others are wrong.

See ya at the Del Taco, amigos!  😂

Don Jose's! on El Cajon Blvd near Hover High! Best Mexican burrito in the universe! Oh wait....they closed after twenty five years of fine burrito offerings back in the eighties. This is not helpful in this serious burrito discussion. I guess my fallback is Jilberto's for their shredded beef burrito add the wonderful other stuff that you like. The one in Borrego only takes cash. 

7 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

Don Jose's! on El Cajon Blvd

Ah. 

Don Jose’s. 

I worked in the machine shop shop and on the parts counter of APS- Auto Parts Supply on El Cajon Blvd at Winona for a few years in the earliest of the ‘80s. 

Never had a burrito at Don Jose’s (to which we laughingly referred as DonJosie’s). The Guacamole Taco plate, however was a real standout. 

But there was no greater lunch than the Italian Torpedo from Nicolosi’s closer to 40th Street. 

Go to Rodeos meat market in El Cajon next to the Yogurt Mill, they cook actual mexican food in there and sell the best Carne Asada. It's for locals only though.

No drive up, no concrete tables, no higher plane.

Just lunch.

The Stone Fox on El Cajon Blvd.   near Hoover High had the real carne.

6 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

Don Jose's! on El Cajon. 

All this talk of the good old days (and the beautiful weather) enticed me to throw a leg over the Mighty 990 and go for a spin. 

Put myself on El Cajon Blvd and headed east to follow the Old Highway 80 route as close as possible- all the way to Jacumba. 

Stopped for a snack and cold one at Grand Ole in Flinn Springs  highly recommendable  

But, to the point: Don Jose’s is now 50% wireless store and 50% Clinica Familia. 

Las Cuatros Milpas at the base of  the Coronado bridge. Most authentic Mexican food you can find.

6 minutes ago, MotoDude said:

Las Cuatros Milpas at the base of  the Coronado bridge. Most authentic Mexican food you can find.

What does that mean? 

There are multiple regions in Mexico, each with their own unique style and flavor of cooking. The Authentic Mexican food in say, Sinaloa, will taste vastly different than the Authentic Mexican food in Tijuana. Is one more 'Authentic' than the other?

That is like saying the most Authentic American BBQ is X. You can start a fight with such a proclamation. Texas BBQ is different than, any other state. Each state takes their BBQ seriously and Texans are willing to fight over it. 

Are Doritos flavored taco shells authentic?  

1 hour ago, MotoDude said:

I have breakfast there (about) each Monday for the last 8 years. 

1 hour ago, erik_26 said:

The Authentic Mexican food in say, Sinaloa, will taste vastly different than the Authentic Mexican food in Tijuana. Is one more 'Authentic' than the other?

From what I read on the interweb Sinaloa is not really known for food.......

Sounds like maybe....... a quick moto trip into Baja for some tacos and discussing this in person is in order..?

14 hours ago, tntmo said:

Are Doritos flavored taco shells authentic?  

Tom, Tom, Tom.... what are we going to do with you? All your years of service in the United States Navy must have dulled your taste buds from eating slop and gruel. (Thank you for your service, BTW).

13 hours ago, simicrintz said:

From what I read on the interweb Sinaloa is not really known for food.......

Nor is Tijuana world renown for its cuisine.

2 hours ago, Riggerdan said:

Sounds like maybe....... a quick moto trip into Baja for some tacos and discussing this in person is in order..?

That sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, I will need to get my passport first.

1. I am going to second Super Sergios CAB on Convoy.  That is a regular stop for me and I don't get past the tire shop parking lot before I am all in. 

2. Nico's on Morena Blvd has a fantastic chicken burrito. 

3. My runner up is Gaulbertos #2 on 5447 Kearny Villa Rd, San Diego, CA 92123 near San Diego BMW Motorcycles and FBC.  You know when you go into a place and almost everybody in there is Hispanic that the food is good and that is Gaulbertos.  Killer breakfast burritos, too! 

6 minutes ago, Mikey777 said:

1. I am going to second Super Sergios CAB on Convoy. 

Obviously an individual of excellent taste.

Went to super Sergio's today extremely disappointed in carne asada burrito, it was like some gringos made it

Adalberto's on Rosecrans in Point Loma. It was my go to place for 5 years of Naval service and still my favorite.

El Fuente on Aero Drive is really good stuff. The new go to place at my house.

Super Sergio's -  It is just a couple miles from my house and I haven't been there in many years. I do remember going there the first time and enjoying it and making it my go to place for lunch way back when. Later I learned that all the Mexicans around the airport loved it. I'll have to try it again.

I used to stand by my allegiance the standard carne asada burrito until I had a California burrito and loved that too. Now I usually order a Cali burrito because I enjoy the steak and potato flavors together. Go figure. Baja Sonora makes a great California burrito that I get with carnitas, but they are in Long Beach. I worked up there for a year and now I'll stop in on my drives on 405.

Speaking of Sonora, they are known for seafood. I've also had some really good barbacoa in Obregon, Hermasillo, and Nogales (AZ). 

Having said that, I wasn't a big fan of Mex food and burritos until I moved to San Diego. Now I love it, but when I leave here I find things showing up in my rolled tortilla meals that have no place. The number one is beans. I like refried beans, but they destroy the flavor of a good burrito. The second is rice. Same reason as beans. Keep the sides on the side. 

You want authentic?  Taqueria Los Amigos . . . . . in Tecate.  Bonus - it comes with a built in awesome ride out the 94.

What could be better!?

I can't ride by it without stopping in.  Even if I just ate a couple hours beforehand.  Not to be missed in  my book.

And "NO", you don't need a passport to get back home.  

Have to try Mariscos in Tecate. 

They get a truck load of fresh shrimp from San Felipe every Saturday. Drive up and buy shrimp by the pound on the weekends. Can’t hardly find a seat sometimes.  Mostly all locals. 

B1C66081-459E-4109-8AEA-03198E6E0B73.jpeg

09020066-1453-41FB-B4B7-E67CFE9B147D.jpeg

Wonder what the 'regs' are for bringing 10 lbs of shrimp back across the border ? . . ? . . ?  I could see doing this for a huge strategy planning meeting in my back yard by the beer fridge.

Stop it right here,

Best Burrito for me is La Cochina in Ramona and Anza. Ramona location is on the Main / 7th street intersection across from Packards.

Anza is on the north side on 371 mid town.

On 5/21/2019 at 12:25 PM, Bp619 said:

Went to super Sergio's today extremely disappointed in carne asada burrito, it was like some gringos made it

It's not wise to vex nonspecifichigherpower.

What type of oil do you use in your bike and what tires do you run when on your quest to find the best burrito🤣🤣🤣 ?