erik_26

Serious discussion... get in here

My SDAR brothers and sisters,

Where is the best burrito in San Diego County (preferably close to Chula Vista, but I will travel for the best burrito in the county)? I am originally from Northern California and our Mexican food was different. I am not use to french fries in my burritos. I lived in California my whole life. I was 36 when I moved down here and never in my 36 years of living in California, had I ever heard of a California burrito.

I grew up with and I like, carne asada, beans, rice, salsa, cheese, and guac. Where does this exist down here?  

El azteca in la mesa, or saritas in lemon grove

3 hours ago, simicrintz said:

You haven't found a Roberto's yet?!  No fries in their stuff!

Where is Roberto's? 

• Haha 1

Any "Berto's", should have you covered, Umberto's, Roberto's, Aliberto's, Hiberto's, you get the idea.  They're everywhere, well at least they are up here in Escondido.  In Escondido there's no shortage of Mexican food eateries, I've got at least 3 within a 2 minute walk from my house.  I will however say if you're looking for good donuts in the CV area Sunny's Donuts off of H are good.  I use to commute from Julian down to CV every day for work 19+ years ago and stopped in there every day.  There should be a Berto's in that same area, but from a quick search the one with the high stars is at 444 Broadway, 271 reviews with an overall of 3.5 stars can't be that bad as my favorite in Escondido, Cocina Del Charro is in the same ratings level.  Hope this helps.

Hey Eric,

I grew up on carne asada burritos and rolled tacos with guacamole from Lolita’s. Original location was on Bonita Rd near Otay Lakes but they have multiple locations now. There’s also a great Roberto’s in old Chula Vista on Broadway. And I’ll personally take my fries with my burgers. You can keep them away from my burritos, thankyouverymuch ;)

Good luck!

6 hours ago, BSon2or4 said:

Any "Berto's", should have you covered, Umberto's, Roberto's, Aliberto's, Hiberto's, you get the idea.  They're everywhere, well at least they are up here in Escondido.  In Escondido there's no shortage of Mexican food eateries, I've got at least 3 within a 2 minute walk from my house.  I will however say if you're looking for good donuts in the CV area Sunny's Donuts off of H are good.  I use to commute from Julian down to CV every day for work 19+ years ago and stopped in there every day.  There should be a Berto's in that same area, but from a quick search the one with the high stars is at 444 Broadway, 271 reviews with an overall of 3.5 stars can't be that bad as my favorite in Escondido, Cocina Del Charro is in the same ratings level.  Hope this helps.

I see.....

I will have to look into the donut shop. I don't eat donuts very often. I have had Yum-Yum Donuts down here and they are pretty good, but I am not a donut aficionado.

It’s sort of interesting, I like the California burrito.  Even though I’m not a CA native I figured it was regional.  

Stuff like that gets around though, there were these amazing shawarma stands in the Middle East that I loved to eat at on deployment.  After a while, they started offering fries in the shawarma.  I’m sure a lot of San Diego military ate at the stands, heck of an influence!

1 hour ago, bradwill said:

Hey Eric,

I grew up on carne asada burritos and rolled tacos with guacamole from Lolita’s. Original location was on Bonita Rd near Otay Lakes but they have multiple locations now. There’s also a great Roberto’s in old Chula Vista on Broadway. And I’ll personally take my fries with my burgers. You can keep them away from my burritos, thankyouverymuch ;)

Good luck!

I know that Lolita's is very popular, but I don't care for the flavor of the meat. Their California Burrito isn't terrible, but it isn't the flavor I crave and the meat seasoning doesn't do it for me. Their monster burrito is probably close to what I am looking for, but again, their meat fails to deliver.

I too have several taco shops near by. I have a couple tacos places I like for just tacos. The best burrito down here has not been found.

Mrs. simicrintz just brought me a machaca burrito from Alberto's for breakfast; great way to start the day!

The finest Carne Asada burrito in the world is from Super Sergio's on Convoy near the car wash.

French fries, rice, lettuce, etc have no place on a burrito, yes, even the so-called "Mission Style" from that San Francisco. And who would go to San Francisco for a burrito, anyway?

With the possible exception of the carnitas burrito at Nico's on Morena Blvd (who unfortunately offers the blasphemy known as a "California Burrito"), the Carne Asada Burrito (or CAB) is the only acceptable form of a burrito as intended by nonspecifichigherpower. All the other fancy-pants concoctions are a slap in the face to nonspecifichigherpower, and consume them at your own risk and wallow in your own bad taste and disrespect for the religion.

Proper Super Sergio's CAB worship demands using the drive-thru lane (either side is acceptable), parking near the tire shop, and carefully "adjusting" both the paper wrapper and the bag in which the sacrament is delivered in a manner that allows the sacrament to be consumed, but not a single holy drop of it tumbles to the seats, the floor, nor the lap of one's vehicle or driver. Any deviation from partaking in this manner is strictly haram.

Be not tempted by the elegant concrete tables in the so-called "dining area" of Super Sergio's. This area is for the unwashed who might ask to spoil the sacrament with "fries" or other such nonsense. One must use the drive-thru (any side, west or east!) to properly worship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Please Define Carne.  

👀

My faith informs me the Carne in Super Sergio’s Carne Asada Burrito is a brunoise of Waygu Filet Mignon.  

Or equivalent.  

2 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

The finest Carne Asada burrito in the world is from Super Sergio's on Convoy near the car wash.

French fries, rice, lettuce, etc have no place on a burrito, yes, even the so-called "Mission Style" from that San Francisco. And who would go to San Francisco for a burrito, anyway?

With the possible exception of the carnitas burrito at Nico's on Morena Blvd (who unfortunately offers the blasphemy known as a "California Burrito"), the Carne Asada Burrito (or CAB) is the only acceptable form of a burrito as intended by nonspecifichigherpower. All the other fancy-pants concoctions are a slap in the face to nonspecifichigherpower, and consume them at your own risk and wallow in your own bad taste and disrespect for the religion.

Proper Super Sergio's CAB worship demands using the drive-thru lane (either side is acceptable), parking near the tire shop, and carefully "adjusting" both the paper wrapper and the bag in which the sacrament is delivered in a manner that allows the sacrament to be consumed, but not a single holy drop of it tumbles to the seats, the floor, nor the lap of one's vehicle or driver. Any deviation from partaking in this manner is strictly haram.

Be not tempted by the elegant concrete tables in the so-called "dining area" of Super Sergio's. This area is for the unwashed who might ask to spoil the sacrament with "fries" or other such nonsense. One must use the drive-thru (any side, west or east!) to properly worship.

No we are talking! The effort in your post and the passion in your inflection cement my trust in your recommendation. I will be visiting this place and reporting back in the near future.

Prefer Carne Asada Salsa Roja or Ranchero, substitute Side Salad w/ Cilantro Lime dressing for rice and B. Dos Equis Amber draft. 

Alternative for Hungry Man, would Carne Asada Tampiquena;  

1 hour ago, erik_26 said:

No[w] we are talking! The effort in your post and the passion in your inflection cement my trust in your recommendation. I will be visiting this place and reporting back in the near future.

Allow me to improve your appreciation: During your experience, please take a pause- a small fermata- and acknowledge the intentional disproportionate distribution of the guacamole inside the Envelope Of Excellent Taste. Like a painter or illustrator avoiding a boring execution of symmetry, the guacamole distribution elevates the experience to art- well above mere culinary science.

The Super Sergio's CAB- Thy Holy Hand Grenade of Flavor.

Six white guys were sitting around discussing where to get the best burrito........

51 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

Six white guys were sitting around discussing where to get the best burrito........

This is important stuff, simicrintz..... 1st world problems mustent be ignored. 

56 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

Says right in the title:

Serious discussion 

Have you tried Del Taco?  😂

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

My son (26 now) and I go there every Wednesday night.  Been doing that since his mom and I divorced when he was 8.......  We don't go for the food :)

Now back to our serious conversation......

10 hours ago, tntmo said:

Dude... really?

I have only had Del Taco one time in my life and it was only out of convenience based on proximity to my location and available time. It was in Simi Valley August of 2015.

What you did Tom, was like telling someone that is asking for a good beer suggestions, "Have you tried Pabst Blue Ribbon?"😝

• Haha 1