SoCalMule

Could this bike be a glimpse as to Yamaha's "TRUE" intro into the Dual Sport Market?

WRs have been street legal in other countries for years just not in our over regulated land.

All the bikes that compete in the World Enduro Championship (enduro bikes) are street legal models and always have been . Yes all those full race edition team bikes have plates on them and are registered with local DMV (EU countries for the most part).

1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

WRs have been street legal in other countries for years just not in our over regulated land.

All the bikes that compete in the World Enduro Championship (enduro bikes) are street legal models and always have been . Yes all those full race edition team bikes have plates on them and are registered with local DMV (EU countries for the most part).

Yep, so true Robert!

I might be in the minority here...I enjoy the 450-500cc 4T's for the (primarily) desert riding that I do. I like the idea of having a "great dirtbike" that can be legally ridden on the street, only if to do so means that I don't have to dismount to push it across a road to continue on to the trail on the other side. I know that this is an extreme example; but if I wanted to ride 50% trail 50% road (true dual sporting), I would purchase a KTM 780 Adventure bike to do that... and it would be comfy smooth on the slab sections, but a real challenge in the tight technical stuff! That is why I like the small bikes best. I feel our sport can have it both ways with out searching for that elusive unicorn machine. Just depends where the ride will take us, and what bike will work best. 

I heard yesterday from my KTM Mechanic, that the CARB emissions folks along with the manufacturers plan (in the very near future) to "lock" the engine mapping on street legal trail bikes in a way that nobody (aftermarket) can adjust it from the stock factory settings. All this when bikes like the new WR can be map adjusted "on the trail" with a cell phone! Crazy dumb rules for the plated bikes IMHO. 

Here's to keeping your old bike in top mechanical condition! But hey, I road 400 plus hard miles in Baja this year on my 07 450 exc with a 50% plug of muffler packing at the end of the spark arrester and lived to tell about it, even smile about it 😎

Cheers, The Uncorked Mule

3 hours ago, Bagstr said:

https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/letter-of-the-week-dual-sport-disappointment/

Follow-On discussion on the subject of Dualsport Bikes and what it takes to be legal, plus what we really need.

Hey Bags, It's an interesting point that this letter brings up! Most people don't need the "extra ponies" that the extra dollars can get from these new CARB approved engines provide. Personally, I'm one of those riders that short shifts and limits wheel spin (most of the time) so that I'm smother and yes... a little faster due to traction.

A stock 2019 500 exc would have plenty of power for the style of riding that I do...but... that being said, having the ability (A Choice) to add a few high performance engine mods would be better! All to experience having my eyes pushed way back into my skull at speed... keeping my geriatric soul very young and very happy! 

Cheers! SCM

4 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

A stock 2019 500 exc would have plenty of power for the style of riding that I do..

Appears to me they're finally getting it worked out. In 2014, the 500EXC (the finest motorcycle ever conceived by nonspecifichigherpower) ran horribly in stock CA configuration- way lean, etc. 

I have no problem riding a smog-legal bike if the performance is intact. I'm old and remember the smog of the '70s, and am about as green as an old codger can be.

Ugh, I just don't trust a dirt bike that doesn't have a kickstarter. 

6 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

A stock 2019 500 exc would have plenty of power for the style of riding that I do.

I think you would be disappointed with this, Mark.  I am no speed demon, but I was pretty unimpressed with mine when I got it.  Removing the smog, end cap plug on the muffler, reed valve setup and installing the JD Tuner really did wake the bike up.  I've read that I probably picked up close to 15 HP by just doing these mods; that's pretty impressive if true and indicative of just how constipated these bikes really are.

Like most things, we get told "we're gonna do this next year and nobody will be able to unlock/jailbreak it then"!  Where there's a will there's a way.....

On 4/19/2019 at 10:06 AM, robertaccio said:

I thought the tpi bikes were being developed to meet stricter EU requirements.

16 hours ago, simicrintz said:

I think you would be disappointed with this, Mark.  I am no speed demon, but I was pretty unimpressed with mine when I got it.  Removing the smog, end cap plug on the muffler, reed valve setup and installing the JD Tuner really did wake the bike up.  I've read that I probably picked up close to 15 HP by just doing these mods; that's pretty impressive if true and indicative of just how constipated these bikes really are.

Like most things, we get told "we're gonna do this next year and nobody will be able to unlock/jailbreak it then"!  Where there's a will there's a way.....

I get it Bruce, just figure that between the "Turtle" and the "Hare" scenario, I could still have that stock KTM 500 waiting a few minutes at the turns 😉 Having said this, I still feel that the 2019 Yamaha WR (someday in legal trim) would be a great option to the 450L. The new WR "as is" plated somewhere other than CA would be pretty kickass! 

19 hours ago, Wintyfresh said:

Ugh, I just don't trust a dirt bike that doesn't have a kickstarter. 

Old school! I agree! 

1 minute ago, SoCalMule said:

Old school! I agree! 

Yeah!

And ignition points! And 3" of travel!
Two shocks on the back, as god intended.

4 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Yeah!

God rocked sandals, silly; dirt bikes weren't invented back then!

Just now, simicrintz said:

Thus the term "Dark Ages".

When SoCalMule was born.

9 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Thus the term "Dark Ages".

When SoCalMule was born.

Hey............

11 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

They had Mules! 

Just finished adjusting the valves on my 450 exc and now it starts without touching the throttle! Does this constitute as an HP engine mod?

2 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Yeah!

I'm no Luddite, just someone who has had to use (and been grateful for) the kickstarter on his electric start equipped WR450. 

2 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Yeah!

And French fries in our burritos.  Progress!

27 minutes ago, tntmo said:

And French fries in our burritos.  Progress!

Regression.

43 minutes ago, Wintyfresh said:

I'm no Luddite, just someone who has had to use (and been grateful for) the kickstarter on his electric start equipped WR450. 

Yeah, I'll give you the kickstarter.

I like mine.