erik_26

Destination questions

I am calling on the SDAR brain collective about to POIs.

Has anyone ridden to Goat Canyon Railroad Trestle? Is it legal to do so? How best to get there? What kind of bike? Looking at the pictures of this place there are two on google maps that show what appears to be an adventure bike on the tracks in the background.

The same exact questions for Rattlesnake Mountain.

I know someone who has ridden across the trestle (Illegal). I believe he accessed it by riding along the railroad tracks from the Nudist Camp in Jacumba. I have heard that the folks in the camp will tip off the railroad police when they see this and you can get a hefty fine. That said, if you find another way, I would be interested as well...

You can ride up there from the windmill area outside of Ocotillo. It's my understanding the trail is difficult, but people do it.

It's also my understanding that's private property, and has been alternatively enforced or ignored.

Yes, it's private property, yes it's illegal, yes guys ride there. I think it's a crap shoot.

6 hours ago, Oracle said:

Yes, it's private property, yes it's illegal, yes guys ride there. I think it's a crap shoot.

Yes I have riden my bicycle threw 3-4 times . Their are new rockfalls in front of a tunel. their is a bypass around. Latest is that they are gating some of the tunels. I saw pictuures . New owners say that they are going to open up the railway again. They have plenty of work to do.  My two cents is you better hurry up. Ride at your own risk. Take a few guys to lift bikes if need be . Be prepared for self resque. And a possible ticket. 

I have done it many times in the last few years and tried to go from the bottom up but could not as the new owners have installed steel gates on the tunnels and the route around would be trials bike material ,maybe. Don't know about the top though but would imagine it would be more of the same.

You guys like beating your bikes up on Railroad Ties. Personally, riding a trestle standing up with a 36 inch wire rail is not my cup of tea. A helicopter is the best way to see the area.

👀

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

You guys like beating your bikes up on Railroad Ties. Personally, riding a trestle standing up with a 36 inch wire rail is not my cup of tea. A helicopter is the best way to see the area.

That's how I feel about rocks 😳

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

A helicopter is the best way to see the area.

👀

Funny you mentioned that....

mluna-7326-2-nomarkings.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you guys. I don't want to break the law, as much as I would want to see it. Some of the pictures online make it look pretty epic. 

So what about Rattlesnake Mountain? Is that legally accessible? How difficult is that ride?

4 hours ago, Bagstr said:

👀

It’s not all bad...

1F9572C0-1659-43A4-B51B-BD488F8E8221.png

Cool Place to check out, and great history too!  The area is really interesting, worth reading about for sure. However, as others have made reference too, the ebb and flow of ownership, actual operation, legality, and functionality has made it a go and no go depending upon the year.  Before twisting the throttle, I have mountain biked it a bunch both up and down.  It is also a popular hiking spot for many of the local san diego Meetup hiking groups.  Among the many famous stories from the trail, I was always amazed at the mountain bike bill's clip of a fella who rode a tricky section quite unsuccessfully, but came away undamaged.  It might be at the bottom of this web page, but it may be able to be found elsewhere. I have ridden that section "no touch", but I wouldn't these days.  When I used to ride it a bunch, many of the tunnels weren't locked shut, they were caved in, so you had to go around on tight single track, which was pretty cool.

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/CarrizoGorge.htm

Miles Todd Crash Video

Hike to the Infamous Goat Canyon Trestle near Anza Borrego State Park - Meetup "take a hike"

• Like 1

You wouldn't be breaking the law, you would be trespassing, same as any railroad property.  I'm  not sure of the ownership structure, but ultimately it is owned by the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System.  Yes, private property owned by a public agency.  It was a marginal operation before they took it over, and just been a shitshow since and clearly not a priority for the MTS.  LE issues are primarily going to be with MTS police, and I suspect they don't sent anyone out on a regular basis.  If you have problems, you are just unlucky.

I've been wanting to go out to Goat Canyon Trestle for a while.

There used to be a dedicated Railway Police dept. to enforce these laws. https://www.usacops.com/ca/p91906/index.html  they may be defunct now not sure, but I can tell you it is currently not MTS and the Sheriff can cite for 602PC Tresspassing or 555PC, trespassing on industrial lands. I am sure there are codes specific to the railroad however. 

Well I remembered that thread and if anyone was thinking of visiting the historical area a friend told me today he saw a bigO locked gate in at least one of the tunnel that was open or not there before.. not one of the tunnel with a tight single track around it either. This was a bit north of trestle. Apparently.

IMG_20190519_082352.jpg

We hiked up there 20 years ago when the Tecate Train where still running. Today, I don't know.