MacDuncan

65 ford pu electrical challenge and boat trailer story

Part 1 Ford PU,        Part 2, boat trailer.

Part 1

After reading Uncle Champ's story of his 68 pickup, and seeing TVScums restoration project, I thought I would walk out back and give my project some attention.  The bummer is that I can't quite figure it out.  My 65 ford, not a restore project, because I just want a ranch truck that can still be worked, throw rocks and dirt in it, but clean and ready to go at a moments notice, AND to haul moto on occasion.  The problem is that I didn't want the scifi style radio in there any more, so I took it out to put in a classic am/fm and now do not have an alternator light that will go on. It purred like a kitten a month ago after I fixed a bunch of stuff.  I will start buying misc. parts soon to replace and hope, but my tracing the electric flow with my tester hasn't shed any light,   haha.  I may need to find a mechanic who is legit to find the issue. 

SO, Does anyone know of a trusted mechanic who works on old fords (or other) that might effectively trace the fault?  If I have to, I will tow it there, or a mobile mechanic. Thanks

Part 2

My buddy called me a few months ago to say he knew of a guy at the Marina who had to move a boat trailer (maybe for a 16 foot boat), or start paying fees.  It sat in the Chula Vista Marina parking lot for years, but he didn't want it, meaning, "take it and it's yours".  He called me because he knew I wanted to fabricate a trailer for some long kayaks and didn't want to mess up my other trailers ( I know, who needs more than one trailer, haha). I drove down at dusk, rolled it across the parking lot and threw it on my truck).  seemed ok, but didn't really check it out.  Threw some money to the guy for a good gesture, even though it was free.  Looked spooky as it started bouncing around on the way home, but didn't want to work on it on the freeway at night, so cruised side streets to baby it home. In the morning, looked at the axle, it was rubbish. I waited to get notice that the paperwork was on it's way. When I was told it was on the way, I bought a new axle from FE trailer for $ 300, special order. Dang, all I got was a copy of an old registration, and that is all it looks like I will get, as all other paperwork is long lost. If I didn't buy the axle, I would be inclined to drop it back off at the marina. (or sell my new axle and still drop off the trailer at the marina - haha)

So, does anybody want to buy a boat trailer with no paper work, and a new $300 axle for a couple hundred bucks?  Maybe only for parts as it still needs tires and wheels too. Or any other thoughts for this scenario? I thought about cutting it to use as a front extender attached to another trailer, but that seems too funky.  Guess I need to cut my losses and clean up the side yard  :)  it was too good to be true. Thanks. 

So, the only reason you want to get rid of the trailer is because of the lack of title?? Because that's not a big deal as long as the trailer is not stolen. All you need to register it is what you have and a bill of sale from the guy you bought it from. And you can run the VIN on DMV website for back fees.

I am willing to help you take a look at the truck.  

As for the trailer, exactly what LB said....it’s easy to get paperwork for a trailer.  I may be looking for a cheap trailer later this summer.

Thanks fellas, I have tried to reach the guy for bill of sale and his approach is along the lines of, "trailer has been moved, I am done with it, don't bother me".  That is the grumpy part of the story and the reason for between rock and hard place. I laughed out loud when the guy at FE trailers (mostly boats) said it happens that way a lot of times. I will try another time, but am ready to move on regardless.

tntmo, I live near grossmont college, and would be happy to give you a super deal on the trailer and axle for a peek at the truck (also happy to help you even if you don't look at truck).  I am headed out back to pull out the seat for more work space and play under the dash a bit more on the truck. Regarding trailer, I will also look at registration tags (or DMV site as Oracle suggested), but hmmmmm , does the buyer really have to pay multi years of back non payments due to past owner not paying?  Heck, that might move me to start dismantling for pieces and parts and skip the whole reg process. I can always use some over priced metal beams around the yard - haha -and maybe make some "art Windmills" out of a smoothly spinning axle!   No worries tntmo, but PM me if there is ever a window of opportunity.  cheers, and thanks. 

Yes, the buyer will be responsible for paying any back fees. That is why I always check the DMV site before buying anything that needs to be registered. There is an actual link on the site to check "Fees due".

Trailer registration is the only fair deal in California.  I don’t remember the cost but it’s cheap and good for 10 years?  

I’m in Alaska for a bit, but I will take a look at your truck when I get back if you’d like.

Hey Champ, are you trying to make me "Cry Uncle"?  haha.

I had fixed the old ford to the point it started, nice, but I didn't think I had it right because the alt. light was significantly less bright, as in can't see it on.  I took it to a great electrician guy in El Cajon, thanks for the reference,  who said it was likely due to having an electric voltage regulator instead of an older mechanical one, and I needed an improved "ground".  I may buy a mech  reg on an old Ford web Site if possible.  But my old electrical one has been bright for 30 years, heck, maybe the connections are funky.  Regardless, I initially took the radio out because I thought it was the primary source of "Drain" over time (battery goes dead super quick).  However, I just went out to start it and the battery voltage was super low after just a couple weeks. I charged it up fully on 10amp in a couple hours though.... hmmm... must be something else that drains the battery when sitting stationary - I don't know how this can be checked, so I have some research to do....

I am over the boat trailer and would let someone take it...in fact I am about to take a sawzall to it and use pieces of it for projects around the house,  but I am still stuck with a $300 new axle and hubs.... but could let that go super duper cheap, or make a windmill for the back yard. Junk art, neighbors love it - haha.  I will look for a trailer again, one with the title available, but this time with a boat on it  :)  maybe a little aluminum or inflatable.  Although I am trying to clean up the yard and don't really need more stuff.  I have a couple canoes I will let go super cheap, and an OC1 canoe (Hawaiian style speed canoe, with an ama) for those who see themselves paddling across the bay, or from bay to bay!

Thanks Champ, Your support is appreciated!  Cheers. 

30 minutes ago, MacDuncan said:

or make a windmill for the back yard. Junk art, neighbors love it - haha. 

Windmill on windmill they would have no right to complain about it

Try Ford truck enthusiasts. com, also I have an electrical meter and wouldn't mind stopping by after work one day.

Measure amps on Neutral/Ground at battery. If you have current, you have a voltage to Grnd somewhere. Disconnect devices one at a time and see if current at battery evaporates or reduces. Your wiring insulation is crap at this age ( much like my muscle tone) . 

Had a 70s Stake- Bed with electronic distributor and the insulation failed. It is crap, deal with it.

If you can wait about 6-8 weeks there’s a fair chance I would be interested in the trailer.