Uncle Champ

Baja no pinch

I just used my Baja No Pinch for the first time, oh my! You need one, everyone needs one. It made me want to change tires that didn't need changed just for fun.

By the way Poway Motorsports has Golden Fattys, cheaper than the internet or any where else I could find.

Dangerous place for people like me with credit cards though.

How hard is it to scratch the rim while using? Pretty nifty tool. Surprised I haven't seen them before.

3 hours ago, simicrintz said:

Any concern on the wheel bearings?

I have one if you want to try it out on your next tire change .

I dig on mine, using it here on vintage soft aluminum Akront rims to keep from making form tire irons. 

68DD49DD-CB90-49D7-8189-B5E9B4B0A517.png

I have one I keep on the trailer and use when out camping. It works well. I find at home where I have a changing stand I prefer to just use a couple of good spoons. Just for fun I did drag it out the other day when I was mounting a Shinko 505 Cheater. Found that it didn't work well with a soft compound tire (505 has a durometer of 50). The bead is just too soft for it to get a good grip and wants to roll the bead. In my previous experiences with harder compound tires it worked well.

9 hours ago, kkug said:

I have one if you want to try it out on your next tire change .

Thanks, Ken; I will keep you posted!  Appreciate the offer!!

Seems like a handy piece of Hardware

How much?

Where do you get?

1 hour ago, Riggerdan said:

Seems like a handy piece of Hardware

How much?

Where do you get?

http://www.bajanopinch.com

Worth noting- the tool was originally sold by some obscure Eastern European garage inventor. ADVRider guys were arranging group buys, etc. Then somebody copied the idea, rebranded it for Americans and we have the current version. I'm unaware of any licensing agreement or anything.

Suffice to say I have mixed views, both or neither are valid.

I agree with Paul.  I may try to contact original maker and see if they are still in business.

1 minute ago, ADV Bum said:

I agree with Paul.  I may try to contact original maker and see if they are still in business.

Yeah- I remain conflicted. I smell an appropriation, but I can't deny the US version is significantly improved.

The good news- I watched Arfy use it a few years ago in Baja and was not all that impressed- I think he could have fixed the tire more easily with a few spoons and some choice words. BUT! Last time I mounted two new tires on the 990, I had a helluva time, and would have enjoyed the utility.

I think in corporate world they call it "analysis paralysis" and try to assign blame ASAP.

I don't think the wheel bearings know its there, it slides into a sleeve that go's thru the rim first, I got it as a present so don't know from where or how much. I too struggled with the whole European guy invented it etc., did research contacted the people got lost in the details, and then bang my birthday came around.

Let me know if you would like to try it out, I'm in Santee every work day.

If I was a better operator it would not have touched the rim at all, but then my rims are no where near pristine.

Its valuable lesson on international patents. without, you are open to exact  copycats. With it you are still open to copycats that may make your invention look different. This is an exact replica knock off of the original. A very Chinese style knock off but done in the US. I have no game in this, use it buy it if you like it, just a history lesson.

Years ago I directly contacted the Estonian guy who invented it he wrote me that he was bummed to see the US knock off but the patent was cost prohibitive for the volume of his sales, so he ate crap on it, nothing he could do, just not worth it.

He has other stuff that he creates for tire mousse changer accessories, Kauritmoto is the company  www.tiremountingtool.com    he has incorporated the no-"pinche" tool into his TMT4 and 5 tire changer rigs.

He still markets the original TMT in his catalog

Thank You Robert for the review:

Seems to me....

That this is the perfect companion to your Kermit Chair on the next Death Valley Rally.  ( Being serious here ) If you have a big bike capable of carrying the load and tires that need the leverage, maybe a good idea.  I have CID do All my flat repairs on the trail. He is also happy to change out new tires on those long interstate rides. 

Wait,,  Don't you Adventure Guys run tubeless wheels that use a Plug for flat repair?

:dirol:

Who here used a Baja No Pinch? 

I tend to agree with @PbdBlue that it would be a useful tool at camp (and home) but possibly too much to carry on the trail.

Any big bike guys carrying one on big tours?

Nope. I do it the old fashion way....with a good set of spoons. I have no desire to carry that much bulk and weight with me when I'm out adventuring. The big rear tires on ADV bikes are easier than most people think....once you break the bead (the hardest part of the change). Just because the tire is bigger, doesn't means it's more difficult. 

I like it, but it’s an “at home” tool because it’s of zero use removing the tire, so you need to carry tire spoons as well.  

23 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Who here used a Baja No Pinch? 

I tend to agree with @PbdBlue that it would be a useful tool at camp (and home) but possibly too much to carry on the trail.

Any big bike guys carrying one on big tours?

No.