amgems

Static

4 hours ago, amgems said:

Attached

I'll also send you a PM with same attachment

Baofeng_UV-5R_jm_4_1_19.img

Got this to work on my UV-5R by changing to txt. But not receiving or hitting the Otay repeater as I usually can. Maybe I'll try my front yard.

2 hours ago, amgems said:

let's try this one. Changed .img to .txt

Sending Randy .img via pm

Baofeng_UV-5R_jm_4_1_19.txt

No worky for me. Says the img file you pm'd me is corrupted. Try saving it as a csv file and sending that. 

58 minutes ago, PbdBlue said:

No worky for me. Says the img file you pm'd me is corrupted. Try saving it as a csv file and sending that. 

I need to figure out how to use this file for my FP8HP....Randy, any ideas?

Yeah open the file in Chirp. Then import your current programming from the radio (FP8HP). Chirp will open another tab with the FP8HP programming. Copy and paste the entries from the tab with Amgens file into the FP8HP tab. Then write the edited tab back to the radio. At least that's the way it works in the Windows version.

I think you have to first download from the radio to the computer. Then modify the file and then upload to the radio

7 minutes ago, PbdBlue said:

Yeah open the file in Chirp. Then import your current programming from the radio (FP8HP). Chirp will open another tab with the FP8HP programming. Copy and paste the entries from the tab with Amgens file into the FP8HP tab. Then write the edited tab back to the radio. At least that's the way it works in the Windows version.

Success!

And I emailed you the .txt file that works for me.

Okay guys I got this figured out. I created an CSV file with the frequencies. Here's how to use it.

1) Download the csv file 

2) copy it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Chirp\stock_configs

3) Start Chirp

4) Download from your radio the existing programming.

5) Form the Radio Tab at the top of the screen select "Import from stock config"

6) A menu will appear and select SDAR Frequencies from the list.

7) A dialogue window will pop up guiding you through the process of importing the frequencies.

This will work with any radio Chirp supports (Baufeng, Yaesu, etc.) and not just the Baufeng.

This procedure is for Windows. The SDAR Frequencies will be listed in the stock config list for future sessions once you have copied it to the stock config folder.  I assume a Mac will be similar but I don't speak Mac so can't help you there. Not sure if the site will let you download a csv so somebody give it a try and feedback.

SDAR Frequencies.csv

2 minutes ago, PbdBlue said:

One more refinement. The squelch type for the repeaters should be Tone and not TSQL. I fixed the CSV file. New one is attached.

SDAR Frequencies.csv

AhHA!

That’s why my squelch is messed up!

1 minute ago, paulmbowers said:

AhHA!

That’s why my squelch is messed up!

yep

Here's some info on stock configurations. May be of help to the Mac guys.

What are "stock configurations"?

These are canned frequency plans, some of which are built into chirp. These include standard US calling frequencies, the channelized 60m frequencies, etc. They can easily be opened or imported into your radio from the File and Radio menus.

Can I add new stock configurations?

Yes! Adding your group's frequency plan to the stock configurations can make it very quick and easy to program new radios. Further, putting various configurations into the stock list can make switching your radio between multiple functions or geographical regions easy. Simply save a CSV file into the stock configurations directory and restart CHIRP to have it show up in the list. On windows, go to Start -> Run and type:

APPDATA\CHIRP\stock_configs

On MacOS or Linux, the path is:

~/.chirp/stock_configs

Probably won't be able to get this changed in time to talk thru repeater today. We can test simplex pl thanks randy will still go on air at 10 may be able to rx

13 minutes ago, amgems said:

Probably won't be able to get this changed in time to talk thru repeater today. We can test simplex pl thanks randy

Ok, so no schedule repeater test?

15 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

One more refinement. The squelch type for the repeaters should be Tone and not TSQL. I fixed the CSV file. New one is attached.

SDAR Frequencies.csv

I did this, and it resolved the issue I was having on the repeaters- BUT! I think I also changed the SDART frrq to tone as well- was that a mistake?

And- the Laguna repeater seems really noisy- breaks the squelch with just static- is it just me?

Sorry Paul. I editing the post Wednesday morning but it must have been after you replied. O'dark Thirty, 1/2 a cup of coffee, blah, blah, blah.

Tested the new Chirp settings yesterday. Even with the repeater tone set to TSQL I was able to transmit and receive with RLAG and RMON. I'm guessing they transmit with a tone so the TSQL worked with them. I will change repeaters to TONE in case not all repeaters act this way. We were way down by the windmills that are east of Ocotillo. It was pretty much line of sight to Monument Peak. But a good fur piece away. I did not make any contacts with RLAG, but was able to hear the repeater send out it's Morse Code ID. So, I think I woke it up.  I did make contact with a Ham on the RMON repeater. He was using an 80 watt radio and was in La Mesa. I could hear his audio pretty good, but he was having a difficult time hearing me. We were able to talk a bit after I moved to a spot just a few feet from where initial contact was made (8 watts might have made it better). So, I'm calling the test a success. At least with those repeaters. With the tone settings changed to TONE we should be good.

We tested the simplex PL tone too. That worked as hoped. Bags and myself had 2 radios with PL tone. Mark had 1 without. Bags and I could talk to each other. Mark could hear us, but we could not hear him when he transmitted. So, that is set up correctly.

We had zero interference issues down south yesterday, unlike the ride up north with all the static. We were using straight simplex with out PL tone the whole ride.

I didn't upload to anybodies radio yesterday. Didn't want to brick any radios. Maybe one more test with new settings (TONE vs TSQL) and we should be good to go.

5 hours ago, amgems said:

Sorry Paul. I editing the post Wednesday morning but it must have been after you replied. O'dark Thirty, 1/2 a cup of coffee, blah, blah, blah.

Tested the new Chirp settings yesterday. Even with the repeater tone set to TSQL I was able to transmit and receive with RLAG and RMON. I'm guessing they transmit with a tone so the TSQL worked with them. I will change repeaters to TONE in case not all repeaters act this way. We were way down by the windmills that are east of Ocotillo. It was pretty much line of sight to Monument Peak. But a good fur piece away. I did not make any contacts with RLAG, but was able to hear the repeater send out it's Morse Code ID. So, I think I woke it up.  I did make contact with a Ham on the RMON repeater. He was using an 80 watt radio and was in La Mesa. I could hear his audio pretty good, but he was having a difficult time hearing me. We were able to talk a bit after I moved to a spot just a few feet from where initial contact was made (8 watts might have made it better). So, I'm calling the test a success. At least with those repeaters. With the tone settings changed to TONE we should be good.

We tested the simplex PL tone too. That worked as hoped. Bags and myself had 2 radios with PL tone. Mark had 1 without. Bags and I could talk to each other. Mark could hear us, but we could not hear him when he transmitted. So, that is set up correctly.

We had zero interference issues down south yesterday, unlike the ride up north with all the static. We were using straight simplex with out PL tone the whole ride.

I didn't upload to anybodies radio yesterday. Didn't want to brick any radios. Maybe one more test with new settings (TONE vs TSQL) and we should be good to go.

For repeaters Tone instead TSQL is the safe bet. Also I would add 147.120 (Black Mtn) into the list. As I mentioned earlier it's linked to 147.240 but over on the east side of Glamis and even some areas of Ocotillo Wells\Borrego Springs it's got better reception than 147.240. 

We will test again just to be sure, but I think we are good.

Ch 1: SDAR freq without PL tone

Ch 2: SDAR freq with PL tone

Ch 3: Superstition Repeater

Ch 4: Laguna Repeater

Ch 5: Monument Peak Repeater (also on Mt Laguna w links east)

Ch 6: Palomar Mt Repeater

Ch 7: Otay Mt Repeater

Ch 8: Mt Woodson Repeater

Ch 9: Black Mt Repeater (the one near Glamis. Not the one near Penasquitos)

Ch 10: 2 Meter Natl Calling Freq

Ch 11: Natl Weather Service San Diego

image.thumb.png.4ce97d6e84fc225c2578e8b131bc69cf.png

image.thumb.png.7fee585db02a57a30ca046771aad87c5.png

Major static issues in Baja this weekend......I’m sure it’s driven by operator error.   What’s your cerveza of preference so I know what to bring to the house for programmimg lesson ( and possible solder job on flash to pass)

The static could be lots of people on radios, dirty signals bleeding over, etc. If SCORE was racing there was probably lots of radio traffic. All quite possible in Baja. The PL tone might help eliminate it.

What brand / model radio do you have?

We are going to test a little more and then we can figure out how to deploy to the other guys radios. If tests go good, maybe by next week we could be ready to load to radios. If your solder work can't wait we could get together sooner. Let me know. Kinda partial to Alesmith Nut Brown Ale, Ballast Point Mango Even Keel, Or Firestone Walker Easy Jack IPA lately. Lower alcohol for this old fart.

4 hours ago, amgems said:

The static could be lots of people on radios, dirty signals bleeding over, etc. If SCORE was racing there was probably lots of radio traffic. All quite possible in Baja. The PL tone might help eliminate it.

What brand / model radio do you have?

We are going to test a little more and then we can figure out how to deploy to the other guys radios. If tests go good, maybe by next week we could be ready to load to radios. If your solder work can't wait we could get together sooner. Let me know. Kinda partial to Alesmith Nut Brown Ale, Ballast Point Mango Even Keel, Or Firestone Walker Easy Jack IPA lately. Lower alcohol for this old fart.

Vx170

13 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

Vx170

A csv file added to the stock configurations folder will work with the VX170. I did my FT-270 & VX-170 as well as the Baufengs using it. If you guys need any help give me a shout.

Chirp Stock.png

To program the vx170 you will need a programming cable specific to that brand and model.

There are a lot of cheap fake cables that can wreck the computer sending the program to the radio.

Pay for a good one. Or Borrow a good one.

2 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

A csv file added to the stock configurations folder will work with the VX170. I did my FT-270 & VX-170 as well as the Baufengs using it. If you guys need any help give me a shout.

Chirp Stock.png

I tried the .csv file approach in the stock configs but when I opened it in Chirp, it changed the "format?" of the Chirp program and wouldn't allow the change to the display to show the channel "name". I can do it manually from the keypad on the Baofeng but not sure about other brands of radios.

Also with the .csv file loaded into Chirp, when I went to "upload to radio" is was greyed out.

I'm probably missing something obvious.

If not using a .csv file we can still load to different radios by picking that radio in "the upload to radio" dialog box. That worked for me with a Baofeng BF-A58 and a Baofeng UV-5R. Could not test with another brand, yet.

.csv:

image.png.58e220c5a0dc20d0d02da324209b5acf.png

image.png.479ccfe5287411b2f6d027b50cd01d53.png

Cut and paste .img:

image.png.5e10499e692711c8ea6af84b39d54e43.png

Settings using cut and paste .img:

image.png.12bb40c55e37567dee379982470ff9f6.png

image.png

image.png