amgems

Static

On the ride yesterday I was experiencing something new with the new radio. Was using the UV5R previously. Yesterday was first ride with BF-A58 (Baofeng waterproof). With this radio I was receiving some transmissions that were just static with no audio. More so than with the UV5R. Squelch on the UV5R is set to 3, squelch on the BF-A58 is set to 5. Not sure if it is even a squelch issue. Most of the radio chatter was clear. Were you guys experiencing the same? Maybe the receiver was just not working well? Antenna is kinda tucked in hugging the backpack, maybe that is compromising the reception?

I was hearing static also from time to time. I think it was transmissions from other than our group.

Copy that, there was noise coming from somewhere as in trash transmission .

According to Dr PbdBlue, the squelch circuits on the Baos are not as good as those in the older Yaesus.

But yes, there was some "bleed over" from other stations in the area yesterday. What I found interestinger was how randomly they were applied. For example, when we stopped after exiting the narrow canyons, I could hear Bag's helmet full of loud static, but nothing on my radio. Which correlates with other occurrences in the past when I've asked the group- "Did you just hear that?" but nobody else did. The Voices In My Head.

We've had it pretty good for years, but as more users come on to these frequencies, crosstalk might become more of an issue. BUT! Should we find it a problem, we can add a PL tone to our frequency selection, essentially make it a "private channel" where the squelch won't even open unless the receiver hears a pl tone along with the voice.

In my riding group we run a PL tone for that very reason. The only downside is there's just a slight delay after you push the PTT until the audio opens for transmitting. Nothing huge but you need to wait briefly before talking or your words will be cutoff. There is a lot of VHF transmitting equipment on Monument Peak and I've found sometimes if your in just the right spot (or maybe the wrong spot) it can cause some interference. There's also a repeater on Superstition that may cause interference if you're close by. The Baofengs are probably a little more susceptable to it. It's a great little radio for $30 but there are some compromises. Also with a PL tone all singing will be suppressed👍

22 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

... "Also with a PL tone all singing will be suppressed👍"

You mean no more PMB singing "Born to be Wild?" :o It just wouldn't be the same ride...

25 minutes ago, Dress4Less said:

You mean no more PMB singing "Born to be Wild?" :o It just wouldn't be the same ride...

I’d never sing such an obvious song. 😏

2 minutes ago, Wierdrider said:

And I thought that static was Paul singing?😬

Nah- it's FM. No Static At All.

24 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Nah- it's FM. No Static At All.

Steely Dan! :good:

6 hours ago, Dress4Less said:

specifically Paul!

So the PL tone is an acronym for Paul Limiting? Just kidding. It's a pleasure to hear Paul crooning on the radio.

Just looked into using a PL tone a little bit. It seems pretty simple (on the surface). Basically you set up a channel on the radios where they operate like they are talking to a repeater but without the frequency offset. Is that correct? Is there any specific frequency for the ctcss tone when doing this ?

It seems to me the columns in Chirp: Tone, ToneSql, DTCS Code, DTCS Rx Code would also need to be the same on the radios being used with a PL tone??

Tone & tone squelch is all you need.  DTCS is a different type of squelch and in my experience it can be a bit finicky. Yes all users will need to program their radios to utilize tone and tone squelch.

Thanks Randy, So would line #1 shown below be correct if we were to program two handhelds for pl conversations? Does the frequency of the tone matter much? I just threw in 100 Mhz.

image.thumb.png.3be9d9ff874d1d201231710ad1ac13b9.png

52 minutes ago, amgems said:

Thanks Randy, So would line #1 shown below be correct if we were to program two handhelds for pl conversations? Does the frequency of the tone matter much? I just threw in 100 Mhz.

I like where your CHIRP is going.

Will wait for Randy to confirm, but I think the set up shown is correct. On the CHIRP web site, Understanding CHIRP's columns, I found this:

Tone Mode

This sets the mode used to transmit or receive squelch tones (or related selective calling technologies). The following explains what the options means:

• (None): No tone or code is transmitted, receive squelch is open or carrier-triggered.
  • Tone: A single CTCSS tone is transmitted, receive squelch is open or carrier-triggered. The tone used is that which is set in the Tone column.
  • TSQL: A single CTCSS tone is transmitted, receive squelch is tone-coded to the same tone. The tone used is that which is set in the ToneSql column.
  • DTCS: A single DTCS/DCS code is transmitted, receive squelch is digitally tone-coded to the same code. The code used is that which is set in the DTCS Code column.
  • Cross: A complex arrangement of squelch technologies is in use. See the definition of the Cross Mode column for details.

Tone

This sets the CTCSS tone to be transmitted if the Tone Mode is set to Tone. In Cross mode, it has additional meanings (see description of Cross Mode for more details).

ToneSql

This sets the CTCSS tone to be transmitted and used for receiver squelch if the Tone Mode is set to TSQL. In Cross mode it has additional meanings (see description of Cross Mode for more details).

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/MemoryEditorColumns

Correction on the tone, not 100Mhz, it is 100Hz.

14 hours ago, amgems said:

Yep👍. That's exactly the config we use in our desert group except on a different transmit\receive frequency. You can pick any tone you want. It really doesn't matter which tone frequency you use but obviously everyone has to configured the same for it to work.

I am In on this; let's set a standard and get everyone together. 

Do the Yaesu units need a cable for setup, or can it be done from the key pad?

Tone Deaf Bagstr    B)

19 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

I am In on this; let's set a standard and get everyone together. 

Do the Yaesu units need a cable for setup, or can it be done from the key pad?

Tone Deaf Bagstr    B)

Yaesu's are easily done from the keypad. With the Baufengs it can be done from the keypad as well but it's not a particularly user friendly experience.  So let's decide on the tone and get on with this. 100 hz is fine by me.

Thanks Randy ! Appreciate the help ! 

100Hz it is. A good number. Easy to remember. I just wish I could remember the code to the bathroom in the mall in Borrego Springs.

Paul mentioned it before, for the Baofengs, the chirp program could be loaded and locked onto UV5R's from a laptop. I have cables for the UV5R and the BF-A58.

Maybe we could program two channels, one with the PL tone and one without. In case someone shows up with a radio that is not set up and can't easily be programmed. We could then just go with no tone straight simplex like we are setup now.

I'm thinking about buying the 8 watt Baofeng BF-F8HP. The programming cable is the same as the UV5R. Chirp program might be different?

28 minutes ago, amgems said:

Thanks Randy ! Appreciate the help ! 

100Hz it is. A good number. Easy to remember. I just wish I could remember the code to the bathroom in the mall in Borrego Springs.

Paul mentioned it before, for the Baofengs, the chirp program could be loaded and locked onto UV5R's from a laptop. I have cables for the UV5R and the BF-A58.

Maybe we could program two channels, one with the PL tone and one without. In case someone shows up with a radio that is not set up and can't easily be programmed. We could then just go with no tone straight simplex like we are setup now.

I'm thinking about buying the 8 watt Baofeng BF-F8HP. The programming cable is the same as the UV5R. Chirp program might be different?

Sounds like a good plan. Chirp programming is slightly different between the 5 watts and the 8 watts (BF-F8HP, UV5RTP, etc) in the you have to declare the radio type but it's a simple cut and paste to copy the channel info from one tab to the other. 

56 minutes ago, amgems said:

I have two 8HPs on which we can try.

I have a suggestion on the naming convention for the channels- maybe the RPT prefix for repeater channels could be shortened to r or + to gain to additional characters with which the repeater could be named? It's be good to avoid the necessity of a cheat sheet to figure out what the repeater called TPM is.

Dave- once Jim is done with The Master Programming List, it can be posted and we can all program our radios in the comfort and convenience of our own homes- or, we can bring laptops to breakfast. We'll look like geriatric college students at a SBX.

AND!

Maybe, Jim, you could configure a digital simplex channel? Or use 146.505, but in a digital way, perhaps with the PL tone? I'm thinking that's where we might end up eventually. I can offer my two digitals as guinea pigs. 

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

I have two 8HPs on which we can try.

I have a suggestion on the naming convention for the channels- maybe the RPT prefix for repeater channels could be shortened to r or + to gain to additional characters with which the repeater could be named? It's be good to avoid the necessity of a cheat sheet to figure out what the repeater called TPM is.

Dave- once Jim is done with The Master Programming List, it can be posted and we can all program our radios in the comfort and convenience of our own homes- or, we can bring laptops to breakfast. We'll look like geriatric college students at a SBX.

AND!

Maybe, Jim, you could configure a digital simplex channel? Or use 146.505, but in a digital way, perhaps with the PL tone? I'm thinking that's where we might end up eventually. I can offer my two digitals as guinea pigs. 

I'm not absolutely sure but I don't think Chirp supports digital transmission mode.

8 minutes ago, PbdBlue said:

I'm not absolutely sure but I don't think Chirp supports digital transmission mode.

Just did some research- nope, not yet.  Raddioity software will.