Went to Corral Canyon with my son last Saturday and rode for about 4 hours; no idea of how far we went.  I had a total of 4 dirt inspections; three from the crazy, slippery mud (and most likely too much air in my front tire) and one on the rocks when my son stalled in front of me (I should not have been following so close and flamed out on top of it).  I am sorer than I can ever remember and don't really feel like I did a whole lot to warrant that.  Am I just being a big baby and need to suck it up (I can take it so let me know)?  What do you guys do to get rid of the soreness or do you do something to loosen up before you ride?  I just read Bagsters 83 mile report and I wonder how you guys that did this feel today.  It's been a few years since I've done more than 70 miles in the desert and I just don't remember being this sore from then.

My son is going out to Ocotillo this weekend and I'd really like to catch that trip as well, but I am so stinking sore that I'm not sure I'll be ready.  It is muscle stiffness so nothing earth shattering but Motrin ain't touching this!

150 miles in desert vs 2 round trips on ranger black diamond trail(18miles total) and same soreness, crazy how different it is for me.

Ice, heat, anti inflammatory meds.

foam rollers on muscles is #1 even though night of riding doesnt seem to hurt,  roller are amazing the difference after for next couple days.

And ipa beers probably help more than anything else

I don’t get sore very often. I think the key is riding all the time. If you don’t use muscles often then abuse them they are going to hurt. Aleve works well when needed.

It definitely was a different kind of riding than I am used to but I just didn't expect to be this sore.  I suppose I may not have been quite as relaxed in the new terrain and may have muscled the bike more than I needed to also.  It's just that it has been a few days now and I don't remember taking this long to loosen back up and thought I'd throw this out for some input.

I went and saw a guy once in La Mesa and left with a nice 12 pack; that may be the best advice :)

1 minute ago, Covered in Dust said:

I don’t sore very often. I think the key is riding all the time. If you don’t use muscles often then abuse them they are going to hurt.

That was a thought I had as well, especially with you guys that do get to ride quite a bit.  This was the first time I had been out since November and after an hour and a half drive I just suited up and then jumped on the bike, off into unknown (to me) terrain.  

My head thinks I'm in my 20's but my body seems to know better...

My whole motivation in going to the gym is so I can ride. And I need to up my workouts when I can again. 

Also, for those tip overs: wear lots of padding. I love my Alpinestars Bionic protection jacket, EVS Web Pro knee braces and my padded/armored under shorts.

I do my pushups and pullups pretty religiously to try to stay in decent shape as I age.  I see the value in this but also know that I am not exercising all of the muscle groups that I need to really ride effectively.  As for gear, I do not take it for granted and am thankful for it, especially when I go down (I don't bounce like I used to!)!

Hope you are healing well!!

Thanks Bruce! Still hanging on the couch here. 

One of the best exercises I have found (and I don't do enough!) was something I saw Dungey doing in a video.

He stood on a bosu ball, flat side up, in the "attack" position. And he had an elastic strap with handles in his hands but wrapped around a post 5 feet in front of him. He leaned back a bit holding the elastic straps like handle bars, and then pumped his arms forward and back, like riding through some whoops. It's a pretty good simulation, for a gym exercise.

I find doing hours of Ashtanga Vinyasa to be beneficial, along with 10 HIIT intervals of handstand pushups before breakfast at Kendall's.

You Really exposed yourself here. 🤓 I have heard of guys having this issue as they age. My friend tells me Pilates movements help him. If all fails, 6.9 or higher dose works wonders. Those Slap Downs are your problem.

As to 85 desert: Don’t feel a thing.

Age-it's just a number, right?  So I expected a varying degree of helpful suggestions as well as the ribbing 😎   Perhaps I should just fake it and keep my mouth shut!

4 slap downs in one day is more than I usually see in years (especially since I don't get to ride much!) and that may indeed be a big part of this (I would be happy if that was the case since I don't intent to keep up that pattern!).  Just having trouble believing that sitting on the couch and not exercising enough could get me out of shape..... 

50 yrs old. 280 lbs. 

Not a pillar of psyical fitness. 

The more I ride the less I get sore. That’s my excuse to the wife for why I’m gone all weekend every weekend. 

I spend 5 minutes stretching before getting on the bike and take 2 Ibuprofen. Helps with pain and cramping-arm pump. 

After brutal races or rides I go for Cryotherapy. 

Sometimes followed up by the Asian massage parlor. 

Makes for happy end to good day on the bike. 

For real. Try out Revtalice Cryotherapy in El Cajon. In 3 minutes it takes away all the pains and you walk out feeling 10 years younger. 

I got ten years on you and you got 100 pounds on me, Ken!  I was just thinking about Bags saying "85 miles and don't feel a thing" and was gonna ask if he was serious or messing with me?  I suspect it is the amount of riding you both do that is truly the best therapy.  I get so little time to do this and then jump back at it like I was 20 again and wonder why I hurt.

I'm intrigued about the Cryotherapy.  Now I just gotta feel good enough to drive for 45 minutes to go!

4 hours ago, Ken S said:

50 yrs old. 280 lbs

followed up by the Asian massage parlor. 

Makes for happy end to good day

Only things i saw in whole post

• Haha 1

Thanks for tip on cryotherapy i have been wanting to go

10 hours ago, Bp619 said:

Only things i saw in whole post

I'll admit that I was unsure if I was to read between the lines on that one as well 🤣

Cry-o-therapy, I've done that for years... I didn't know it was a thing you pay for, I tried whining and that was not well received.

Massage though hmmm, maybe I'll try that, Happy Happy.

I was sore in my upper back and shoulders after the Breakfast Club Ride,  I’m sure I was a little to tight during some of the more technical sections. I was heading to Aqua Caliente after the ride, but I got there to late. I used the anti inflammatory meds and the ipa prescription until the next day after another ride when I had a nice soak. That’s always a nice way to end the day🌊💦

More resistance training, cardio, and riding is the solution! 

Being as loose on the bike as you can, and still hold on👍

That’s my motto, and I’m sticking to it!

Good to hear I'm not the only one then, Jim!  I'm hoping to run out to Ocotillo to ride with my son again tomorrow and even though I am still a bit sore I gotta grab as many of these as I can when I can.  I'll be a bit more relaxed out there since I've ridden there many times before and know what to expect.  Part of last weekend was new terrain and part was new bike-neither of which I was 100% comfortable with!

It's all about the riding......getting out just once a month doesn't cut it. I mtn bike 2-3 times a week and I've got decent riding skills but my stamina is non-existent and I'm definitely a hurtin' pup after a technical ride!

49 minutes ago, Ptkatoomer said:

It's all about the riding......getting out just once a month doesn't cut it. I mtn bike 2-3 times a week and I've got decent riding skills but my stamina is non-existent and I'm definitely a hurtin' pup after a technical ride!

Don’t under exaggerate Paul. 

You’ve got way above average riding skills. 

Hope to see you at Mc Cain tomorrow 

Something tells me you both have above average skills!  I don't know where I would stand with you guys but hope to find out one day :)

Hope you both get to get out and ride tomorrow, and I'm hoping I can pull off Ocotillo as well.  That would be two rides in a week and twice what I did all last year :( 

Was able to run out to Ocotillo today and catch up with my son and his group.  The plan was to bomb around Shell Reef and just goof off, but it turned out that there were a few in his group who had brought ashes to spread at Superstition so plans changed.  Everyone was camping just past the Iron Door so we left from there.  Odo shows that with goofing off and running around we put on just shy of 70 miles.  I'm a bit sore, but nothing like I was last Saturday; maybe you guys are on to something with this more consistent riding idea!  And I am also happy to report that there were no soil inspections today!