San Diego Adventure Riders
paulmbowers

Yaesu VX-170 stash NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Selling all three of my  well-used Yaesu VX-170 radios and related accouterments. There are two Rugged Radio jumper cables in here- always good to have spares. Several batteries of varying value, three radios, all work, all with MARS/CAP mods (shhh). Chargers, speaker mikes, etc.

The whole shooting' match to a valued SDAR contributor: 
$68.77  Cash, no financing, no contingencies.

I'll move them to eBay if they don't sell here.

Selling cheap without any warranty expressed or implied.

IMG_1349.jpeg

If there is Any hesitation from this crew, I will take them off your hands as a Back-up.

:dirol:

No hesitation here, will they work so me and my riding partner can be one of the cool kids on rides? I'll take if there are setup lessons and possible installation.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Champ said:

No hesitation here, will they work so me and my riding partner can be one of the cool kids on rides? I'll take if there are setup lessons and possible installation.

Sorry, nope.

There are no radio harnesses, no helmet kits, etc.

This would be a great buy for someone already outfitted that's looking for a set of spare parts. 

I have no use for all of it but will give you $8.43 for a battery and a charger and a jumper.

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=7A3213027D790BCFC558E51B3306C192&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

Appears this unit is compatible with the single pin PTT cable we use with the 270 model. Would need microphone, ear speakers and harness to complete a helmet set-up. 

Personally don't need this equipment but it would serve as backup if no one else can use it. A guy could sell all but one and buy the needed harness etc. I imagine " the seller " just wants to move it in on deal for convenience. 

Anyone please feel free to grab this in front of me if it works for you.

B

2 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Appears this unit is compatible with the single pin PTT cable we use with the 270 model.

Sí, es verdad.

I suspect we'll work out something, Bags.

There's very little difference between the VX-170 and the FT-270. Same battery, microphone connection, antenna connection, etc. Spec wise they are virtually identical. These are workhorse radios built tough. A great deal for someone though I would negotiate the deal down to $68 even.

I would really like to be radio ' d up but tech escapes me, buying I can do, but knowing what I'm doing, programming, matching antennae's to gigawatts, I just need an on button and a charger plug. Are there any systems like that?

Go ahead make fun of me , they do at Verizon, oh and lets not talk about the tech department at work. I gather I'm not the only one.

UC, 

We will get you set up with this gear. I will sell some of this stuff to finance a head set ,PTT and harness to make a complete set. Don’t tell PMB that He is setting you up.

B

26 minutes ago, Uncle Champ said:

I would really like to be radio ' d up but tech escapes me, buying I can do, but knowing what I'm doing, programming, matching antennae's to gigawatts, I just need an on button and a charger plug. Are there any systems like that?

Go ahead make fun of me , they do at Verizon, oh and lets not talk about the tech department at work. I gather I'm not the only one.

Yeah, you pretty much can.

Bagster does it all the time ;  )

I can help you, and am happy to do so. You gotta buy the stuff, but once it's installed in the helmet and you know how to plug it in, it works without much fussing. Until you get the harness caught in the chain.

20 hours ago, Uncle Champ said:

Tell me what to buy, have credit card and very little self control.

Here's what I'd get- there are alternatives, but this is my choice:

https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1104&products_id=1378

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_3?crid=WXVTDXY8YG2R&keywords=baofeng+uv-5r&qid=1552421326&s=gateway&sprefix=baofeng%2Caps%2C180&sr=8-3

Here's how they install the helmet kit:

https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=207

I can walk you through the frequency choice and the "lock" to be more sure you don't change anything in the future.

I am sure it would be much more expensive but does a Bluetooth option exist for this?

6 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

I am sure it would be much more expensive but does a Bluetooth option exist for this?

No.

Sorta.

One can connect this setup to a Sena system using one of their add-on devices. It's sorta complicated, but it can be done.

I seem to hit a lot of branches when I ride and was thinking about the cable getting caught.

9 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

I seem to hit a lot of branches when I ride and was thinking about the cable getting caught.

It's happened to me 3-4 times in 10 years, mostly because I'm lazy and no-good and don't loop the helmet cable under my arm like I should. When it pulls out from a branch, I've never even noticed- it just disconnects. Might feel a little pull on the helmet.

The hardest part is programming the radio which any number of us on here can help you with. The next hardest thing is figuring out how you want to route the harness  in your backpack. That's more of a personal preference thing.

I don't have a radio yet (it is somewhat on order :) ) but am following along!  And being new to the radio thing creates questions in my head.