paulmbowers

Chirp, anyone?

Has anyone had any luck getting the Baos to connect with Chirp, especially from a proper computer- a Mac?
I'd like to create a file with local repeaters I can share/upload/clone with our small group of licensed operators.

Baufengs? Yep do it all the time. The 8 watt'ers like my UV5RTP have to use the setting for F8HP's. Other than that the secret is in the USB/Serial drivers at least for Windows particularly if your cable doesn't use the FTDI chipset. With an FTDI cable it's seamless. Don't speak Mac so can't help you there.

Just saw this post... I have a cable that worked with the Boa and my I Mac.

Seems like you figured it out. It’s all about getting the right cable. Kind of a crap shoot trying to get an authentic cable. Lots of fakes out there. Think I got lucky with the one I got. Was able to connect and program with zero issues. I also use windows. I stopped drinking that Mac koolaid years ago

4 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

I'd like to create a file with local repeaters I can share/upload/clone with our small group of licensed operators.

I would be interested in working more with the repeaters and possibly working them more into our group / rides.  I did it a little bit when i first got my license. I can connect with the repeater on Mt. Woodson on my 5w hand held from my house in Poway. And on my bike when close enough. It was pretty cool talking to a guy in Dell Mar while on the bike. 

I've been a licensed ham for going on almost 20 years. Most repeater operators will not take kindly to using repeaters for extended transmission sessions such as a group ride. They do allow it for special events with permission ahead of time but it's frowned upon outside of those conditions.

9 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

Most repeater operators will not take kindly to using repeaters for extended transmission sessions such as a group ride. 

Agreed. But I would like to advance the radio protocol a bit to include the option. For example, if a rider separates from the group we'd all switch to a repeater freq after a specific time, or just use a specific "hailing repeater". 

I suggested something like this for DD one year, but the idea was shut down.🤷‍♂️

Like other have said its about the right cable. I have CHIRP all my radios and moto friends. However in my situation, when riding with SXS guys that have rugged radios that are preprogrammed, I look at Cheat sheet they bring ex. Weatherman is 151.625, and type in numbers manually. Just seems quicker to enter numbers manually then scrolling. Plus on preprogammed numbers always can hear someone else on that channel on big weekends.

I will say we still stop at every fork in road to get visual, but radio is a great tool.

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

Agreed. But I would like to advance the radio protocol a bit to include the option. For example, if a rider separates from the group we'd all switch to a repeater freq after a specific time, or just use a specific "hailing repeater". 

I suggested something like this for DD one year, but the idea was shut down.🤷‍♂️

Exactly. Fine for short conversations.

3 minutes ago, PbdBlue said:

Exactly. Fine for short conversations.

Or songs. 

OK, figured out that CHIRP is programming software.

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

Or songs. 

No, no, no....

Prohibited:

(4) Music using a phone emission except as specifically provided elsewhere in this section; communications intended to facilitate a criminal act; messages encoded for the purpose of obscuring their meaning, except as otherwise provided herein; obscene or indecent words or language; or false or deceptive messages, signals or identification.

16 minutes ago, PbdBlue said:

No, no, no....

Prohibited:

(4) Music using a phone emission except as specifically provided elsewhere in this section; communications intended to facilitate a criminal act; messages encoded for the purpose of obscuring their meaning, except as otherwise provided herein; obscene or indecent words or language; or false or deceptive messages, signals or identification.

Pfft.

Rules, schmules.

Just now, paulmbowers said:

Pfft.

Rules, schmules.

Well it is arguable that your singing could be construed as music so you may be ok.

19 minutes ago, PbdBlue said:

Well it is arguable that your singing could be construed as music so you may be ok.

MODERATOR!

He's picking on meee!!