EddieEarl

Time for new tread

I need some new tread for my '13 500 EXC.  I ride 70% off road ... higher speed 2-track / dez type terrain.  30% street.  No single track.

For the rear, I'm considering Goldentyre's 333 vs a MotoZ tire vs Maxxis Dez IT.  Any thoughts on these three?  Any other tires to consider?

For the front, I'd like to run a fatty from either Goldentyre or Shinko.  I know Shinko's is less expensive, but does anyone have a mileage or tread breakdown comparison between the two?

I feel no difference between the golden and Shinko versions of the fatty so that’s why I always just save a few bucks and go with the shinko 

• Like 1

GT333 is my go to. Amazing traction everywhere. Does not last quite as long as a Maxxis but traction makes up for the difference  Take it easy on the slab It’s a medium compound and I can round out the knobs quickly doing wheelies on the street  

I run it with tubliss system at approximately 5 psi in the nasty stuff. 15 psi in the desert. 

I ran the MotoZ hybrid extreme for about 300 miles in Big Bear this summer. It’s on one of my friends bikes now. Still looks new. Hooks up in the rocks amazing. Fairly quiet on the slab. Lacks a bit of traction cornering on hard pack. Not the greatest sand tire. Knobs are close together. Can’t seem to wear the thing out. 

It wont hold air with tubliss system. That’s why I took it off. 

Shinko fatty on the front. At $50 a pop VS $100 for the GT who cares if the Golden might get 1 more ride.  I love fresh tires. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ken S said:

GT333 is my go to. Amazing traction everywhere. Does not last quite as long as a Maxxis but traction makes up for the difference  Take it easy on the slab It’s a medium compound and I can round out the knobs quickly doing wheelies on the street  

I run it with tubliss system at approximately 5 psi in the nasty stuff. 15 psi in the desert. 

I ran the MotoZ hybrid extreme for about 300 miles in Big Bear this summer. It’s on one of my friends bikes now. Still looks new. Hooks up in the rocks amazing. Fairly quiet on the slab. Lacks a bit of traction cornering on hard pack. Not the greatest sand tire. Knobs are close together. Can’t seem to wear the thing out. 

Shinko fatty on the front. At $50 a pop VS $100 for the GT who cares if the Golden might get 1 more ride.  I love fresh tires. 

Great info - thanks a million.  I'm picking up the GT333 / Fatty combo from my local shop tomorrow (Poway Powersports).  

On 3/6/2019 at 11:13 AM, Ken S said:

Great info - thanks a million.  I'm picking up the GT333 / Fatty combo from my local shop tomorrow (Poway Powersports).  

Went with Fatty front and GT333 rear.  Burly!  Headed out to the superbloom this coming week to break 'em in.  Thx again for the review.20190307_172851.thumb.jpg.154cac578224819b782b18fabfbbf5b1.jpg20190307_173035.thumb.jpg.d12b958908379f79ed9c1e7032938fb3.jpg

Tire thread

I was amazed at the traction on my MOTOZ extreme hybrid rear tire this weekend .

Hill climb on loose rocky powder and the rear tire hooked up when I thought it was time to bail.  

Your results may vary!

12 LBS rear PSI  Tubliss

I've been running Goldens front & rear on my '17 Five-Hundo EXC-F and dig 'em. You will too! :good:

18 hours ago, CVRick said:

Tire thread

I was amazed at the traction on my MOTOZ extreme hybrid rear tire this weekend .

Hill climb on loose rocky powder and the rear tire hooked up when I thought it was time to bail.  

Your results may vary!

12 LBS rear PSI  Tubliss

Great tire but I couldn’t to seal with Tubliss. 

I may have a new favorite tire. I was given a Set of STI Tech 2 pro tires. The front is the same size and looks like the Golden Fatty. Haven’t mounted it yet. 

The rear has about 300 miles of slab and 8 hours dirt. Hooks up great in sand and hard pack. Chucks rocks hard behind my 500.Corners and brakes well.  No sign of wear so far. 

I believe this tire is going to last like a Maxxis. Cost about $70 Otd at Motoworld. 

Not DOT

EA1EB47B-AEFA-464F-9DB6-FF9518ABCD4A.jpeg

Front 90/100 and it is DOT rated. 

Im going to try it on my 1090R

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, Ken S said:

I may have a new favorite tire. I was given a Set of STI Tech 2 pro tires. The front is the same size and looks like the Golden Fatty. Haven’t mounted it yet. 

The rear has about 300 miles of slab and 8 hours dirt. Hooks up great in sand and hard pack. Chucks rocks hard behind my 500.Corners and brakes well.  No sign of wear so far. 

I believe this tire is going to last like a Maxxis. Cost about $70 Otd at Motoworld. 

Not DOT

EA1EB47B-AEFA-464F-9DB6-FF9518ABCD4A.jpeg

I like tire threads. Thanks for the input Kenny  

The hybrid does suffer on nasty downhill braking

I have done that and it is amazing at low psi. 

I was planning on fire roads and 2 track only since it was my first post rotator cuff surgery ride off pavement .

I ended up riding areas that were not noob friendly.

My shoulder is still there and I want to get  "permission " from my surgeon for more vigorous activities :)