Crawdaddy

First ride on the 950 Super Enduro

Took the 950SE out for its first spin in ~1.5yrs this afternoon....feeling good......off to Suspension 101 tomorrow for fat boy sag/spring/clicker setup.....looking forward to saddling up/heading out.....destination = who cares! 🤔😏👍😎

A8434C09-D401-47B2-B417-29B9FDA36ADE.jpeg

EFA64A40-D62B-4DF8-BB10-35906E5AC2F9.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Uncle Champ said:

Sweet bike, maybe I''l go down to Alpine and sneak in a ride.

Note to self, do NOT leave key with George since Charlie is nearby :rolleyes::coolio::heh:

11 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

Took the 950SE out for its first spin in ~1.5yrs this afternoon....feeling good......off to Suspension 101 tomorrow for fat boy sag/spring/clicker setup.....looking forward to saddling up/heading out.....destination = who cares! 🤔😏👍😎

A8434C09-D401-47B2-B417-29B9FDA36ADE.jpeg

EFA64A40-D62B-4DF8-BB10-35906E5AC2F9.jpeg

Looks to me to be the closest to what one could consider... dare I say... "The perfect adventure bike"

Good stuff Cdaddy

Get some luggage on that machine and lets go adventure.

BIG fan of Mosko

2 hours ago, Riggerdan said:

Good stuff Cdaddy

Get some luggage on that machine and lets go adventure.

BIG fan of Mosko

This bike has a LOT of storage space under the seat which is nice.......more than any bike I've ever owned......ALL tools, tire irons, and one spare front tube are tucked under the seat to free up space in top bags/Mojavi saddlebags......just need to pack small slime air compressor in top/side bag as opposed to all the other "stuff".....that frees up a LOT of room.......flip flops and/or sneakers get strapped outside the bags....

Picked up a new set  of Giant Loop Mojavi bags for short jaunts......Arnie already had a small tank bag/rear bag......that setup oughta work for most trips where we're staying at motels in Mex or simple bedroll on the beach.....don't want to carry too much on this pig.......it's already big/high/heavy (to me)........want to follow minimalist approach to greatest extent possible........also bought https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/mojavi-saddlebag-dry-pods-set-2/ to compress "stuff" in side bags and keep contents dry......not simply small dry bags.....they have air purge valves to squeeze out all the air and maximize space.....

For longer rides Arnie bought a Wolfman specific cromoly rack along with hefty dry saddle bags that clip into place on the rack (just need to remove orange chromoly guard currently on bike)......I already have Wolfman duffles and/or a Giant Loop Coyote which could be draped over the Wolfman sidebags if I needed........likely only needed when camping off the bike.....my 4 man tent/Big Agnes pad & bag are fat boy sized and don't compress too small.......I also bought 3 new Giant Loop dry pods specific to the Coyote (that could also be used in the Wolfman duffle)

1 hour ago, SoCalMule said:

Looks to me to be the closest to what one could consider... dare I say... "The perfect adventure bike"

If it was ~50lbs lighter and fuel injected it would be more "unicorny".......but don't get me wrong, I'm genuinely excited about the bike........I've always lusted after the Super Enduros.......sex on wheels......looking forward to taking off with Rigger, etc. and exploring........destinations unknown/wherever

I know when I stop breathing I'd like a buddy to keep my bikes rolling... Awesome you got it back in the dirt👍😊👍

47 minutes ago, 97xr400r said:

I know when I stop breathing I'd like a buddy to keep my bikes rolling... Awesome you got it back in the dirt👍😊👍

It's a sad/weird/uneasy yet satisfying/rewarding feeling to take the reins of a fallen friend's bike, honor his memory, and carry on his legacy, while also putting your own stamp on the bike and making it your own......looking forward to getting this bike back into Mexico where it's been so many times.....Arnie's happy place.......I know Arnie will be looking over my shoulder/guiding me along the way on all my future travels...

• Like 2

You were lucky to score Arnie's bike...hope you hold onto it.

5 hours ago, KTMrad said:

You were lucky to score Arnie's bike...hope you hold onto it.

I wouldn’t say lucky but I definitely feel privileged/honored to be selected as its new guardian/owner......glad we were able to keep it in the Ramona family.  Dropped it off at George’s yesterday for Suspension 101 “Superplush” treatment.  I have a few more mods in the works.  Looking forward to loading up & rolling out.....

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, Covered in Dust said:

Ha!

That said, I DID order a Rekluse........hope to have it next week........this bike is BIG/HEAVY.......slow going and/or knarlier than preferred sections should be MUCH easier with the cheater Rekluse clutch so I don't chunk it and fall over (as often :heh::coolio:)........

A few updates.....

Canceled the Rekluse Order........the bike is HIGH/HEAVY.......I need it locked in gear with the kickstand down just to climb on and off!.......and I don't want it rolling away when I try to pick it up after a spill........heavy enough without having it rolling away while lifting......ask me how I know! :o 

The bike has been over at The Oracle's place on the stand for the last week or so and I've been heading over after work.........mainly to watch, learn, and supply Coors light (thanks SO much LB)........needed to deal with some damage from my Baja trip with Rigger (broken brake stop/tweaked foot lever) and just giving it some general TLC....here's a list of what we tweaked

LB shaved the seat a bit which helped.......but the bike is still too high (for an old/fat man with 30" inseam :heh:)

Tossed the stock airbox/filter and dropped in Rottweiler intake system with new jets/needles  (crisp throttle response, easy access to engine/air filter) 

Replaced a few misc. fuel hoses before they stranded me (cracked/dry rot)

Replaced Spark plugs - they weren't too bad but what the hell.......we were in there might as well change them out (FYI - special socket required......found a Yamaha equivalent for $10.  Yamaha P/N 5TA-2814F-00-00)

Fresh oil & filter - Holy cow - this bike takes nearly a gallon of oil to align between 1/2- 3/4 in the sight glass

Replaced stock foot pegs with Warp 9 Adventure foot pegs (oversized).......they feel great......big improvement over stock

Replaced tweaked brake pedal with Clean Speed Brake Pedal and oversized pedal pad (stock brake pedal was a Baja casualty in April......functional but don't trust it after being leveraged/bent into position off the stock clutch case)

Replaced stock shift lever with Clean Speed shift lever to match brake lever - bling (but now I can carry both stock levers for back-up)

New lower chain slide - old one was falling apart

CJ Designs transparent Clutch Cover - strictly bling

In the works:

Heading back over to see George @ suspension 101 to lower the bike……even with shaved seat it’s just too damn high for me…..should've faced the music and gone this route from the beginning....

Motominded/Baja Designs front light set-up (combination of S2 & Squadron lights.......retina melting)

Flexible front turn signals

Fire Power Featherweight Lithium Ion Battery - no idea how old the battery is in this bike.......want to set a new baseline so I don't get stranded somewhere

Hoping my son-in-law and I can figure out the deal with the instrument cluster.......speedometer works so pickup on fork is in right place.......but mode button is frozen, odometer on trip meter isn't functioning, etc......hey, at least we found the short in the cable harness back in March that was preventing it from starting!

Purchased and held in reserve until needed:

525 chain and sprockets

Brake Pads front and rear

005.JPG

010.JPG

• Like 1

Nice looking good, I love my motominded on the super Enduro setup, just fyi when ordering they normally only do small batches and don't stock, also I choose there  pro racer edition upgrade and regret it get the s2 with the xl pro not racer. Racer throws light 40% further down trail than xlpro so anything under like 50mph u can't see it until you look like 1/4-1/2mile down trail

4 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Nice looking good, I love my motominded on the super Enduro setup, just fyi when ordering they normally only do small batches and don't stock, also I choose there  pro racer edition upgrade and regret it get the s2 with the xl pro not racer. Racer throws light 40% further down trail than xlpro so anything under like 50mph u can't see it until you look like 1/4-1/2mile down trail

Baja Designs is a CORE sponsor so that hookup is complete with S2 & Squadron Pro.  Motominded sold me the cradle/wiring harness for $100......just need to install

1 hour ago, Crawdaddy said:

Baja Designs is a CORE sponsor so that hookup is complete with S2 & Squadron Pro.  Motominded sold me the cradle/wiring harness for $100......just need to install

Nice

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:47 AM, Crawdaddy said:

Bike has now been lowered by George (Suspension 101)........no longer scary high........my son and I wired up the Motominded bracket/Baja Design Squadron and S2 a few weeks ago along with new flex turn signals.......it's been ~5 weeks since I broke my collarbone/ribs........may be able to take it out for a street only ride soon.......I'd like to get a feel for the new lower height/lights.....

Instrument cluster remains a mystery.......mode button is frozen.........could very well be that the ~11yr circuit board underneath is water damaged/corroded or (?)........replacement instrument cluster is ~$450.......so I guess we'll be holding steady for a while......at least speed/water temp/turn signal indicators work.....but it would be nice to have an odometer since there's no fuel gauge.......not that big an issue as long as I reset the GPS after each fill........

038.JPG

039.JPG

• Like 1