stroked 550

Brake locked up and need help

hey guys 

My rear brake locked up on me on a recent trip so I had to remove the rear brake pad which looked really bad to ride home. I have an 07  450 EXC 

I dont have any experience with the brake system Is anyone willing to to help me fix the problem? 

Check for debris (small rock most likely) wedged between the pad and the caliper body, possibly something caught in the piston. Happened to a buddy of mine once. Hopefully there's little to no damage to the piston/seal/etc if this is the case.

I'd be happy to help you. You'd have to bring it up to Ramona. I have a nice home shop setup and am frequently working on bikes here. 

18 minutes ago, TexasDualler said:

Check for debris (small rock most likely) wedged between the pad and the caliper body, possibly something caught in the piston. Happened to a buddy of mine once. Hopefully there's little to no damage to the piston/seal/etc if this is the case.

When it happened a few a weeks ago,  I didn't notice any debris but there were chunks missing from the pad. 

First, crack the bleeder valve- if it does not release the brakes, then use a dull screwdriver or a tire iron between the pad and the rotor to try and free it up.

Then- the caliper slides on a big pin that is attached to the caliper and slides into the caliper bracket. I've had a situation where that pin (or the boss into which it fits) gets corroded and swells up enough to prevent it from sliding. It's difficult to separate the parts in that situation.

Once apart, you can try to clean up/lube those parts. The pin itself is removable- it has a nut-like area molded in the base- but KTM does not sell that pin separately. Rumor is a honda part will fit.

I had to replace the caliper on my olde 525.

Also check that a rock/stick/etc. isn't jamming up the brake LEVER.......it happens.   Literally set my rear rotor/caliper on FIRE on my 350. :o:smile_anim:

3 hours ago, Oracle said:

I'd be happy to help you. You'd have to bring it up to Ramona. I have a nice home shop setup and am frequently working on bikes here. 

Thank you I appreciate the help, Im going to order new brake pads and hardware... If I could swing over to your place that would be awesome 

2 minutes ago, stroked 550 said:

Thank you I appreciate the help, Im going to order new brake pads and hardware... If I could swing over to your place that would be awesome 

Sure. I'll send you a PM

2 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

Also check that a rock/stick/etc. isn't jamming up the brake LEVER.......it happens.   Literally set my rear rotor/caliper on FIRE on my 350. :o:smile_anim:

I did check that and it looks like its clear of any blockage.... Oh wow thats crazy you set your rotor and caliper on fire..... 

The rear brake was  definitely very hot when I noticed it Im glad I noticed it quickly it coulda been really bad 

1 hour ago, stroked 550 said:

I did check that and it looks like its clear of any blockage.... Oh wow thats crazy you set your rotor and caliper on fire.....  

I'm throwing my son in law under the bus on that one.........he either dragged the lever unknowingly or something got stuck........bottom line, when he pulled up next to me the rear caliper was on fire........literally.......quick handfuls of dirt/camelback water to the rescue........and our BBTR Big Bear Run was over........completely burned up all seals/piston cover......caliper is still flared a bit at the bottom from the heat.......I don't think the entire brake pad is engaging now after caliper was rebuilt.......may have to snag new caliper eventually......we'll see.....