La Mesa Mike

Bought a new (to me) KTM from a sketchy dude...

long story short, I met the guy at a storage facility, he had the bike advertised as a 2014 XCW500, I look at the frame tag and it's a 2013 XCW450....  Stickers say 500... I'm assuming someone broke the rear fender and just got one from another bike, or bought the wrong stickers.   he swears it has < 500 miles on it, sure enough the trip odometer agrees,  I believe those to be the stock tires the bike sold with,  and I really don't see many signs of wear on it at all.

The title is not in his name, it has Ohio tags that don't match the title.  I call Ohio DMV and verify the bike has not been reported stolen and the tags match the VIN.  

We agree on a price, and off to AAA I go - got new CA plates for it, and added it to my insurance and now it sits in my shop.

Ordered oil, filters, new air cleaners - going to do standard maintenance and take it for a ride.

Ordered a tusk lighting kit so I can make it street legal, a real kickstand and that's it so far.  It has bark busters, and IMS pro pegs.

A trip to suspension 101 is in order.

New tires are in order.  Normally I run Desert IT's, but I don't believe they are DOT approved. What do you guys like?

Few questions - What else do I need to do?  I know nothing about KTMs.  Do I need to purchase a new ECU? remap existing, or richen it up?  anyone use https://www.tpstool.com to richen it up?

Does the fuel pump live in the gas tank?  If I want a larger gas tank and the ability to swap them, besides a second fuel pump, do I need to order anything else?

Hopefully the pic upload works, let me know if you see anything strange...

I should add, I called Rocky Mountain ATV and gave them the VIN, and they said it comes back as a 2013 450 XC-W.

IMG_0625.JPG

Edited by La Mesa Mike
update info

Weird a 13 450xcw shouldnt be able to do a direct transfer to California plates. 

For the pump yes its in the tank, aftermarket tanks require different fittings than stock if you want to constantly swap from small to big tank i would do another pump and get fitting for quick disconnect so would be a 2minute sway or just buy the 3.1 gallon size and leave it

Sweetbike. No need to remap XC-W’s. I’m running Moto-Z’s for tires just because they are dot, good tires.

3 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Weird a 13 450xcw shouldnt be able to do a direct transfer to California plates. 

Correct.  all I can say is the gods smiled on me.  It had Ohio plates, and they allowed me to transfer them to CA. No one was payed off, no shenanigans.

1 minute ago, Covered in Dust said:

Needs a skid plate and a Pro Moto Billet kickstand.

already ordered/received the kickstand - the stock skid plate not good enough?  recommendations ?

Doesn't look like it has a skid plate (typical from what (little) I know about KTM's).  I bought an Acerbis for mine; easy install.

Nice looking bike; congrats!

that looks like an Akropovic muffler. Just saying.????

6 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

Doesn't look like it has a skid plate (typical from what (little) I know about KTM's).  I bought an Acerbis for mine; easy install.

Nice looking bike; congrats!

Actually, you are right, it's not on.  It's a plastic (i think) one, that has hooks on the back and a thumbscrew thingy on the front, easy on/off.  I'll ride with that for a while and see i I'm getting any knicks anywhere else that needs to be protected. 

5 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

that looks like an Akropovic muffler. Just saying.????

I know the end cap looks to be carbon fiber, and it has a small tear in it. (why I assumed he replaced the rear fender and stickers)  I would like to replace that cabon fiber piece, I'll look to see who makes the muffler and call Pro Moto Bilet to see if they make a billet end cap for it.

10 minutes ago, La Mesa Mike said:

Actually, you are right, it's not on.  It's a plastic (i think) one, that has hooks on the back and a thumbscrew thingy on the front, easy on/off.  I'll ride with that for a while and see i I'm getting any knicks anywhere else that needs to be protected. 

I know the end cap looks to be carbon fiber, and it has a small tear in it. (why I assumed he replaced the rear fender and stickers)  I would like to replace that cabon fiber piece, I'll look to see who makes the muffler and call Pro Moto Bilet to see if they make a billet end cap for it.

The Acerbis is plastic and mounts the same way; probably what you have.

Would be another big score if it is an Akropovic muffler; they're a grand or better!

Akropovic and even has the Ti metal color, I'm thinking adding to the score.

And hell it passed DMV for VIN, I know someone who just lost a rather large sum @5k when he went to DMV and the VIN came back a stolen bike from the Midwest. The bike was impounded and his cash was long gone with the seller. 5k down the drain.

PS leave the scratches on the CF.....I implore you don't modify at all!!!  it appears by all indications this is an Akro muffler, this muffler assembly it is a top tier component and the bike is a dirt bike not show bike, leave it alone. If you want to be more show, order a new ID sticker and put it on.

26958-titanium-akrapovic-sxs-muffler-for-ktm-250-sx-f-2006-2010_500.jpg

many choices for skids, TM Designs does super good full coverage set ups,

On your skid plate, I recommend safety wiring the quick release thumb fastener to your frame in the tightening position; it can vibrate loose sometimes...ask me how I know? Congratulations! it seems the heavens are definitely smiling on you. 

nice find with a Push button. And what is 50ccm  in the dirt anyway ???????

2 hours ago, La Mesa Mike said:

already ordered/received the kickstand - the stock skid plate not good enough?  recommendations ?

Didn’t see a skid plate on the bike in the photo. I’m still running the stock plate.

4 hours ago, La Mesa Mike said:

Correct.  all I can say is the gods smiled on me.  It had Ohio plates, and they allowed me to transfer them to CA. No one was payed off, no shenanigans.

Wow. First that AAA handled an out-of-state transfer (they always refused me) and they allowed that bike to have a plate?

AHHHmazing.

(I'm pretty sure the Desert ITs are not DOT. Great bike!)

8 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Wow. First that AAA handled an out-of-state transfer (they always refused me) and they allowed that bike to have a plate?

AHHHmazing.

(I'm pretty sure the Desert ITs are DOT. Great bike!)

Maxxis desert IT is not dot rated

Just now, Covered in Dust said:

Maxxis desert IT is not dot rated

I sit corrected.

Ok, did some cleaning up, turns out it is an Akropovic exhaust  (Astute reader award goes to Robertaccio!) , I was more concerned that it was USFS approved, it is, they put the printing on the inside farther from the end, so you need to stick your head above the tire by the shock to see it.

In the picture is the damage to the end cap, any suggestions?  just use black duct tape over it?  do they make heat resistant carbon fiber tape, or should I just not worry about it.   I'm just concerned it will get worse over time.  I guess if it does, I can worry about replacing it then.

SoCalMule - good call on wiring the thumb fastener, I'll get it done.

IMG_0632.thumb.JPG.85579ab694f6dc282cf3ed11a95f91e9.JPG tape?

On 2/15/2019 at 5:21 PM, La Mesa Mike said:

Ok, did some cleaning up, turns out it is an Akropovic exhaust  (Astute reader award goes to Robertaccio!) , I was more concerned that it was USFS approved, it is, they put the printing on the inside farther from the end, so you need to stick your head above the tire by the shock to see it.

In the picture is the damage to the end cap, any suggestions?  just use black duct tape over it?  do they make heat resistant carbon fiber tape, or should I just not worry about it.   I'm just concerned it will get worse over time.  I guess if it does, I can worry about replacing it then.

SoCalMule - good call on wiring the thumb fastener, I'll get it done.

IMG_0632.thumb.JPG.85579ab694f6dc282cf3ed11a95f91e9.JPG tape?

Just in case tape doesn't stick or if your wallet is too fat...

https://www.ebay.com/p/Akrapovic-V-EC17-Replacement-End-Cap/171257256?iid=183589644606&amp;chn=ps

as you can see just like P3 composites on their market brand equipment they use carbon, and/or Kevlar and normal glass sandwich.

Talk with the Surfer guys here to do a surfboard repair on it, no? Its is basically just a fiberglass repair job. Or as mentioned get a real OEM replacement cap. BTW most of the EU pipes have capability for inserts both quiet and screen types, I don't know if this one does. If it does have the snap ring quiet insert , do what we have done. get a FMF or Pro Circuit screen type end insert and cut off the screen and attach it onto the Ak insert. Or hit home depot and buy some SS screen material and fashion it yourself. I did a really nice set up on a Ti MX muffler on one of my Husky 4 strokes, the screen was legit but truth is the pipe was MX loud.

The nice thing about the Ak insert is that is FIM enduro compliant for sound which is somewhere below 94dB maybe now its even lower.

PS you can through your dealer talk to Akropovic USA to get details on a repair and set up. My sponsor shop National City Motos has good relationship with Ak due to their road race clients.

Before spending $, I would wait a few weeks to be sure AAA doesn't receive a kickback from DMV.

Happened to me on a car once. We were "free and clear" until AAA called.

• Like 1