MauleR

Tuning 15 exc

Hey guys, I recently sold my xr650r and just picked up a 2015 500 EXC. The bike has 600 miles on it and appears to be stock except for a FMF slip on. I will soon be desmogging it.

I have been searching around the web and honestly I'm drowning in all the info/opinions out there.

My questing is, can I make this bike run well with a TPS adjustment?? Or do I need to purchase a jd tuner? My main concerns are improving throttle response and not running the bike too lean. 

Currently it starts and idles well but often will die when rolling on the throttle and it is popping on decel

Thanks!

Brian

I believe 2015 is within the year range that allows for a KTM Euro map swap. I'd contact Munn Racing or Slavens- there are other places that can do it. You'll likely need to send them the ECU briefly. I've not heard good stories about the JD tuner for these years. The flameouts and popping are fairly typical of lean condition.

And congratulations- it's almost the finest motorcycle ever conceived and created by nonspecifichigherpower.

Can't speak for the 500 though I expect it will be similar. I have the EU  XCFW map in my '14 350 and love it. My buddy has a '16 350 with the JD tuner and it runs well but not as strong as my bike. With the remap you get updated fuel and ignition mapping vs just fuel enrichment with the JD tuner. The big issue with the stock tuning is that is lean and the ignition curve is retarded for emissions purposes which results in the bike running very hot. IMO if you can get it remapped I would go that route.  Probably worth a call to Munn's. I think Travis at Thumper Racing used to do remapping though I heard rumor he isn't doing it any longer. Anyway it might be worth a call to him as well.

Ok thanks for adding even more confusion to the mix guys! Haha I'll look into the ECU flash route as well.

At this point I'm not necessarily going for ultimate performance just don't want to cause harm from running too lean.

Supposedly adjusting the TPS richens up the circuit, anyone do this?

Yeah I have fooled around with the TPS but with my remap I found it wasn't that beneficial. It does help with the stock\JD setup I think. Basically you are fooling the CPU into thinking the throttle is more open than it is. It only enriches in the idle\low rpm range. The WFO mixture will remain the same as it is now. It just moves the curve a little toward the bottom end side. 

Ok thanks for the info I'll make some calls tomorrow and see if anyone will flash the ECU still.

You can also check in with (Chris) Blais Racing Services for all those needs from block off kits to re-flash of ECUs and a whole selection of Race kit.

B, Congrats on the new steed, cowboy!

Ok I called Munn racing and they confirmed that they would be able to flash the Euro map for the low low price of $245...  🤪 so I ordered the TPS tool and I will be adjusting that for now. Also Blais states on their website that they can only flash ecu's that are already unlocked by a dealer?? Hopefully the TPS adjustment gets rid of the lean condition and I will figure out a better solution down the road.

On 2/10/2019 at 7:29 AM, paulmbowers said:

And congratulations- it's almost the finest motorcycle ever conceived and created by nonspecifichigherpower.

Thanks Paul! I know it's no 2014 but it's the best deal I could find!

59 minutes ago, Van said:

B, Congrats on the new steed, cowboy!

Thanks buddy! After I get her all set up it's going to be about time for another Baja trip!

20 minutes ago, MauleR said:

Ok I called Munn racing and they confirmed that they would be able to flash the Euro map for the low low price of $245...  🤪 so I ordered the TPS tool and I will be adjusting that for now. Also Blais states on their website that they can only flash ecu's that are already unlocked by a dealer?? Hopefully the TPS adjustment gets rid of the lean condition and I will figure out a better solution down the road.

I have the TPS tool, courtesy of The Bagster, and I’m happy to make it available. 

But it’s not going to make the changes you need. 

The $245 is worth it. 

I believe the ecus to which Blais is referring are the later models. But I could be wrong. 

Paul, thanks for the offer on the TPS tool but I already ordered it off Amazon and it will be here tomorrow.  Are you running the Euro map?

9 minutes ago, MauleR said:

Paul, thanks for the offer on the TPS tool but I already ordered it off Amazon and it will be here tomorrow.  Are you running the Euro map?

Back in 2014 I swore a solemn oath against disclosing any modification made by any dealer from which my bike may, or may not, have been purchased. 

I’ve never had popping on deceleration nor flameouts. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Back in 2014 I swore a solemn oath against disclosing any modification made by any dealer from which my bike may, or may not, have been purchased. 

I’ve never had popping on deceleration nor flameouts. 

Haha ok thanks for the info. My bike budget is pretty tapped out right now and I just want to be able to ride without worrying about a too lean condition so hopefully the TPS adjustment can get me by for awhile until the bike fund can get refilled!

9 minutes ago, MauleR said:

Haha ok thanks for the info. My bike budget is pretty tapped out right now and I just want to be able to ride without worrying about a too lean condition so hopefully the TPS adjustment can get me by for awhile until the bike fund can get refilled!

Yup, understood.I suspect you'll be fine.

Just to follow up...I finally received all the parts necessary and was able to complete the de-smog and TPS tune.

So far it is running like a champ, no stalling and no popping on decel. I still need to do more testing and I may still do the ECU tune in the future but for now I am comfortable that it's not running dangerously lean.

I also just swapped out the springs front/rear with a set from slavens that is appropriate for my weight. Now it's time to put some miles on her and get used to the new bike.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:44 PM, MauleR said:

Welcome to to Orange crew. Break out the credit card. Don’t tell the wife about it. Do it right the first time with out buying stuff twice. ( I’ve done that to many times). Get George to dial in your Suspension. Hang on and smile. 

Thanks Ken 👍 I'll be sure to get ahold of George when I'm ready for some suspension work.