Crawdaddy

Oh no, a big bike tire thread

Has anybody tried the Golden 723 ADV/Rally tires on their big ADV bike?

Ordered a set from Rocky Mtn for the 950SE........standard 723 up front (apparently "r" front is a "fatty" like the small bike dualsport tire) and 723S in the rear........not sure what the "S" is all about?.......I assume it's "standard" or "street".........the 723R rear is supposed to be a more gummy/rally rear tire......

Hoping to get decent life out of the tires since they're STOOOOPID expensive.......which is why I went with the regular/standard 723 as opposed to the "R" models....

Let's add another element to this thread........what PSI do you guys/gals with big bikes run at offroad - ~20 front and rear?

"S" rear page on Rocky Mtn: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/goldentyre-gt723s-rally-adventure-rear-tire-p

No "S" reviews on Rocky Mtn so I assume they're fairly new?

Lyndon Poskitt seems to like the 723 family of tires.........that's good enough for me (of course his are free :mellow::heh:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUJZM7BH9xA&feature=youtu.be

I just out the rear 723 on 950 havent ridden it yet though. Watch out for fattys on 950se will hit the oil tank on compression. 

I like the pirelli scorpion rally front 

I don't air down for dirt on the 990. These pigs will hit the rims pretty easily at lower pressures.

53 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

I don't air down for dirt on the 990. These pigs will hit the rims pretty easily at lower pressures.

So what's your preferred "all condition" cold PSI load on the 990 front and rear? :huh:    This pigpen PSI stuff is all new to me......

2 minutes ago, Crawdaddy said:

So what's your preferred "all condition" cold PSI load on the 990 front and rear? :huh:    This pigpen PSI stuff is all new to me......

I run about 32/32. 

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

I run about 32/32. 

Wow, glad I asked........I was thinking ~20 in the dirt and ~30 on the street.......

I'm pre-conditioned to ~14/12 on my little bikes.......or ~14/10 with an MT43 on the rear......

Just now, Crawdaddy said:

Wow, glad I asked........I was thinking ~20 in the dirt and ~30 on the street.......

I'm pre-conditioned to ~14/12 on my little bikes.......or ~14/10 with an MT43 on the rear......

Agreed- for me, big bike is VERY different. It's possible others have a different opinion, and if I were to be riding slower dirt for long periods, I MIGHT be tempted to lower a bit. But that's a LOT of weight on those tires (myself included) and I really hate flats.

I typically run 28psi front and rear and dont air down for dirt

On my bmw f800gs, I aired down to 25 psi front and rear for dirt/rocks, rode it like a dirt bike and received dented rims up front.  Rear was fine.  Regret.  Great traction though.

Anyone that is running 32 psi in their front tire while in the dirt is giving up a huge amount of handling...even more so in the sand. They are gaining, of course, a lower risk factor of getting a flat. To me, it's not worth it.

So to answer your question C-daddy, I'll run 20 psi up front and 24 in the rear when off road. I'm also comfortable running those pressures on slab, as long as the distance isn't great (say connecting trails on the BDR's) or really twisty. 

Commuting, or just ever day street riding, I'm at 30 front 32 rear.

As far as your tire question, I have not tried those so I can't provide any feedback. 

Same as LB. He and I only had one flat the entire AZBDR and it was LB on a nicely groomed road. We went through some really rocky sections. Having HD tubes helps tremendously.

51 minutes ago, Mikey777 said:

Same as LB. He and I only had one flat the entire AZBDR and it was LB on a nicely groomed road. We went through some really rocky sections. Having HD tubes helps tremendously.

Throwing Bridgestone UHD tubes in both tires......I know they’re  big/heavy tubes on an already heavy bike but it’s an added measure of comfort......I carry spare heavy duty tubes.....the ultra’s are just too big to carry

20/24 surprises me......I would have thought the inverse for flat protection up front & traction in the rear......that said, my pure street bikes are always lower psi in front

Even on my pig of a Tenere I dropped pressure to 25 in the dirt and felt a lot more comfortable.  

13 hours ago, tntmo said:

Even on my pig of a Tenere I dropped pressure to 25 in the dirt and felt a lot more comfortable.  

Not to diverge from the primary topic too much, but not having a lot all the experience with all the trail riding you all have:

1) When you go on the Otay Mountain Truck trail for instance, do you lower to 25 psi?

2) When the trail becomes rocky, do you stick with a reduced pressure?

2a) I would guess there has to be a balance between puncture risk and bending a rim, even with spoked wheels?

3) Would you use the same strategy for a tubed tire as you do for tubeless.

I find this to be an interesting topic because I have heard some compelling arguments for airing down and not. Maybe it comes down more to rider preference? The reason I ask is I have been riding my pig (Super Tenere) around on the dirt trails with 90/10 tires in favor of street, and I keep them at the OEM recommended inflation pressure and I haven't really had much of an issue, yet. Then again, I am a slow rider just putting around, exploring and enjoying the scenery without a hurry to get anywhere. Plus, mainly riding alone, I try not to take unnecessary risk.

Just the way I do it, if I plan to spend a majority of the day on unpaved surfaces, I prefer to lower the pressure.  A trip on Otay, I wouldn't mess with it.  I even kept stock pressure on the Kymco scooter!  😂

For a big bike in the rocks, you just want to slow down enough to maintain control, but go fast enough to keep momentum.  Sounds so easy, yet I fail at it so many times.  I try not to ride in too many rocks on the big bike.

Yes, better chance of punctures, rims getting damaged and pinch flats.  It's a compromise, like so much in our lives

Tubed tires I run considerably less pressure, but all my bikes with tubed tires are also considerably smaller.  

If you have a 12v compressor, try dropping the pressure for a run up Otay and see how you like it.   Might even be cool to do a run with the tires at normal and then another on the same area with them a bit lower.  

7 minutes ago, erik_26 said:

Not to diverge from the primary topic too much, but not having a lot all the experience with all the trail riding you all have:

1) When you go on the Otay Mountain Truck trail for instance, do you lower to 25 psi?

2) When the trail becomes rocky, do you stick with a reduced pressure?

2a) I would guess there has to be a balance between puncture risk and bending a rim, even with spoked wheels?

3) Would you use the same strategy for a tubed tire as you do for tubeless.

I find this to be an interesting topic because I have heard some compelling arguments for airing down and not. Maybe it comes down more to rider preference? The reason I ask is I have been riding my pig (Super Tenere) around on the dirt trails with 90/10 tires in favor of street, and I keep them at the OEM recommended inflation pressure and I haven't really had much of an issue, yet. Then again, I am a slow rider just putting around, exploring and enjoying the scenery without a hurry to get anywhere. Plus, mainly riding alone, I try not to take unnecessary risk.

1) I do not. For one thing, I ride the street to be there, and I ride the street to get home. And even if I were inclined to lower tire pressure, I'm WAY too lazy to lower/raise it.

2) I do not. I'm a big guy, and the bike is big. And I hate flats, and yes, I use UHD tubes.

2a) Yes, I believe there is a balance. And yes, there is some traction to be gained by reducing pressure. And yes, I have successfully bent both rims by reducing pressure (and too-soft of springs)- the front requiring replacement. I won't throw insults by saying "Anybody that would xyz thisorthat"- I don't consider myself to be such an authority, and in the end we all take our best shot at what works best for our situation and beliefs.

3) Tubeless or Tubliss? Very different setups. I wouldn't use Tubliss on the big bike- too may road miles, heat, etc, etc. Might be fine, but I'm not gonna chance it. I've never had a tubeless bike for off-road, so I can't help here.

Were I riding truly off-road (not fire roads) all day, I might cheat the pressure down a bit. But then again, if I were to ride truly off-road all day, I'd be on my 500.

• Like 1