simicrintz

Smog removal-500 EXC

Popped both screens out of my stock pipe, tore out the reed cage, put the JD Tuner on and pulled the smog pump and put in the Slavens kit to block the hole, along with the dongle to keep from throwing a code.  When I pulled the connection to install the dongle I see a little black box that no longer has any power, or function from what I can tell.  There are some hoses running from it and I think I can just pull that doohickey and the extra hoses (think one or more of the hoses run to a evap unit in the frame which I would just leave).  Do any of you guys know if I can just pull all of this?  It looks like one hose coming off the black box ends up in the engine and would need a plug; there may be more (I quit after finding that and wanted to check in before going any farther).  Slavens did not have this covered on the viddy by the part and they are closed now.

Appreciate any input from those that have been there, done that!

Sounds like evap canister for snog and if doing full delate should be able to remove

I think the evap canister is in the frame; this thing is electronic.  It mounts right behind the starter and across from the case protector.  Rubber mounted and easy to pull it appears, but I'm hesitant!  Scared to pull and plug it; what a chicken, huh??! 

Look it up in the parts fiche and check the nomenclature , you might be able to get info that way, as to what it is.

That is one of my prime resources for many maintenance and fact finding/parts compatibility questions.  I even use the exploded views in the parts catalog to reassemble engines, chassis assemblies and the like.

That electronic device with the hoses is an electronically operated valve that opens and closes to allow the vacuum from the intake to suck stuff from the canister and fuel tank. If you have the dongle you can remove it. The little intake port in the intake manifold has to be plugged.

Thanks, Jim!  I have the dongle and it is installed; no codes.  Took a quick Home Depot trip after install with no issues so think I am good; just want to clean up some more of the crap that is on there and this looked like it could go.  Is the intake port that you are talking about that little brass fitting?  Did you plug or pull and put something in there (I removed all the smog from my XR years ago and the kit had a bunch of rubber plugs/caps that I just put over things)?  I found a pretty good thread on TT and they say that that brass plug is held in with red Loctite and can snap-I do not want to risk snapping it so a plug would be good!

Don't know nuthin bout no brass fitting thingy on yer modern bikes.

But I do know sumpin bout red loctite. 

It's designed to release with heat- give it a pass with a plumbing torch and it will be much easier to remove. I've heard (read on the internet from a good source) one can make a mark with a Sharpie pen on the offending fastener. Apply heat until the ink disappears, and that's the right temp.

I make no warranty.

"No warranty expressed or implied"?  Hmmmm.  Really like the black Sharpie idea.  Note to self: keep heat away from plastic or rubber fittings, including gas tank......

Thanks, Paul!!

5 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

, including gas tank......

Yes, I would remove the fuel tank. 😎

or maybe not, if there’s video. See Mr Schadenfreude on another thread. 

54 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

See Mr Schadenfreude on another thread. 

Saw that already-Here; hold my beer while I torch this little fitting.  🙄😣

Thanks, Bags-that's exactly what I was thinking!

Just now, simicrintz said:

Thanks, Bags-that's exactly what I was thinking!

I like Bagstr.

I dislike those little condom-y things.
They will, at some point, crack and leak. It's inevitable.

If there's any possibility of using a real plug- hardware-like. A bolt. Whatever is appropriate for the application, I'd far prefer to use it.

Point taken.  Although don't you think the hose attached to it could also?  If you read between the lines you will clearly see that I am scared to snap the brass piece off on a bike with 100 miles on it 😱

Understood.

And again, I don’t kno nuthin bout yer specific application. 

But I hate those rubber caps. They’ve been failing for me since the ‘70s. 

Those condom-y things have been failing you since the 70's? 

Yes, and we have been getting calls from the Lady's seeking your phone #. 

Back to the subject;  Carry a replacement condom-y thing if your performance fails in the dez.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Champ said:

I wonder if desmogging should be an open thread?

Sign me paranoid

It’s not illegal. 

no need to use fire..you can use a heat gun or prudently use a hair blow dryer to heat items for removal.

3 hours ago, Uncle Champ said:

I wonder if desmogging should be an open thread?

Sign me paranoid

Closed course only 🤣   I see the topic other places.  As I understand smog it only applies when the quantity of something gets so large that it has an overall effect as someone sees in the "balance" of things.  Case in point is diesel trucks and most recently low emissions vehicles.  The quantity of each surpassed somebody's threshold and hence the "need" for smog.  Since these things come so constipated with mufflers, emissions, fuel delivery, etc. that they do not perform as they were designed (perhaps to the point of premature failure due to excess heat, for example) these types of threads exist.  JD Tuners, Vortex, FMF, etc. wouldn't exist if they came as they were designed (these are all the stories I tell my wife to buy parts so it is well rehearsed, so much to the point that I now believe it!).

I did have somewhat of a fear of posting openly, but I will be leaving to go to Fat Kid Tattoo and have Pauls quote ("It's not illegal") placed prominently on some body part should I ever be stopped and questioned!

I will try the heat without fire, Robert, but I really don't see the challenge in that :)

1 minute ago, Uncle Champ said:

I humbly stand corrected, for the record NONE of my equipment has been modified.

Well, it is use-dependent. Certainly illegal to operate a "de-smogged" vehicle on a public highway.

So it's true..."Loud pipes save lives." "Never ask permission,  just beg for forgiveness later." 

This is Blasphemy! Reconfiguring these wonderful, very clean, CARB Certified, machines into terrible, planet harming, death machines! You should all get on your knees and repent for even considering de-smoging these engineering marvals!

Oh the humanity! 🙊

Cheers! The Stinky Mule

Bout damn scared of the thing now :)  Holy crap did that make a difference!  I got some getting used to to do!

It is 100% better than it was.  Still need to swap a rear tire, finish pulling all of the smog crap and get some dirt time in.  Wanna play with the suspension a little on my own first (still at stock settings but I really don't have much time on it).  Way happier already and I still have some tweaking to do!

Haven't ridden a proper wheelie in 35 years; looking forward to getting back on that as well (are 60 year old guys still allowed to do wheelies?!)!

• Like 1