simicrintz

Smog removal-500 EXC

Now a cheap mod for you. 

Go down 1 tooth on your counter sprocket. 

It will go about go about 90 but get there much quicker. (Had mine up to 110 with a strong tail wind with stock gearing in the dirt. To fast)

I went 2 teeth smaller on the rear but not necessary. That lets you move the rear wheel back further in the swing arm and makes it more stable at speed in deep sand washes. 

It seems that I run through the gears pretty quickly; will I be going through them even sooner this way?  I think my days of doing 110 in the dirt (who am I kidding; I've never done 110 in the dirt!!) are over anyway......

Is the feeling the same that the gears end quickly?  My XR seems to pull forever compared to this bike.

25 minutes ago, Danmule said:

Xr all day everyday

Been on XR's for almost 40 years and will always have a soft spot for them (this one was a gift from my wife for my 50th and I'll never sell it).  As I get older it seems to get heavier though!  The orange bike should keep me in the dirt longer but Big Red will not just sit in the garage!

1 hour ago, Danmule said:

Xr all day everyday

Having ridden and owned both, I'll say:

XR = Club
EXC = Scalpel

I believe the EXC is what the XR always wanted to be, but without the advanced technology and the design evolution. And, just like I loved my 1970 Ford F250, I love my Tundra even more. But for different reasons.

And now is the the appropriate time for a moderator to shut down comments on this thread.😎

It's cool, there's smog removal to be done on the XR as well so it's relevant!

10 minutes ago, tntmo said:

It's cool, there's smog removal to be done on the XR as well so it's relevant!

Long done :)

Ride the pi$$ out of the exc for long distances  (baja 1000 and what not) and it will be like a horse. Eat money & sh!t work (expensive maintenance )

1 hour ago, Danmule said:

Ride the pi$$ out of the exc for long distances  (baja 1000 and what not) and it will be like a horse. Eat money & sh!t work (expensive maintenance )

I rode the pi$$ out of my 17 EXC 500 F.    271 hours and 9903 miles . It ate a fuel pump ( warrenty ) and only sh!t  out a bad  battery . I replaced it with a inexpensize AGM.

It also ate up a bunch tires and a chain and sprocket.  It pooped out fun !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kkug said:

I rode the pi$$ out of my 17 EXC 500 F.    271 hours and 9903 miles . It ate a fuel pump ( warrenty ) and only sh!t  out a bad  battery . I replaced it with a inexpensize AGM.

It also ate up a bunch tires and a chain and sprocket.  It pooped out fun !

Right on, Kug!!!!  Still need to get by and see you....

10 minutes ago, Danmule said:

I guess you gotta ride orange or nothing around here. Ouch. 

Not really, and nobody has attacked you. Plenty of riders on different brands here. But we all have different experiences and, when prompted by comments similar to "XR all day everyday" we are likely to offer our own experiences. In my situation, I tried both, and chose the bike that served me best.

Last weekend we had a long ride of 9 like-minded individuals, one of whom was on a Yamaha. He had just as much fun as the rest of us.

22 minutes ago, Danmule said:

I guess you gotta ride orange or nothing around here. Ouch. 

Now you're getting it.

46 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Last weekend we had a long ride of 9 like-minded individuals, one of whom was on a Yamaha. He had just as much fun as the rest of us.

But I heard all Yamaha riders are psychopaths?  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tntmo said:

But I heard all Yamaha riders are psychopaths?  

No their not -- he was packing cheep beer

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

Sorry I asked about smog removal 🤣🤣🤣

Bruce, this is what the kids call hijacking a thread 🤣

2 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

Bruce, this is what the kids call hijacking a thread 🤣

Right?!

I'm gonna go out and try to change out a tire next; don't tell anybody-I don't want to start any trouble!!!!

Rotella 🤣

What do you guys think the best beer is?  Is one better for changing tires and one better for lubing a chain?  

Didn't feel attacked pb. No worries. Just can't afford the scalpel.  Have fun out there

On 2/2/2019 at 9:43 AM, simicrintz said:

I'm gonna go out and try to change out a tire next; don't tell anybody-I don't want to start any trouble!!!!

I had to laugh.  Sorry.  I was hunting down de-smogging and got to this line. I have my own problems too... 

Ken just left a little bit ago from coming over and helping me and told me about your stuff, Van.  Sounds like you have a handle on it though 👍

Any day I can laugh is a good day!