Paris-Dakar, Libya, 1985. Gualini offers up his front wheel to official Cagiva rider and close friend, Giampaolo Marinoni, after the latter destroyed his magnesium hub. Later, the Cagiva truck arrives with a new wheel for Gualini, who arrives at 4 a.m. and starts again at 5 a.m. Tragically, Marinoni is killed in the last Special Stage of the rally in Senegal.

Pretty sad :(

• Sad 1

I remember watching those guys getting onto the boat in Marseille as a kid, crossing the Mediterranean into Africa was where it got real for them, you could feel the tension, man it was something. Thanks for the article

10 hours ago, kkug said:

What an incredibly awe inspiring story! Finding an arc welder in the desert for one thing, but sanding down the "too high welded piston" with a rock and winning his class! Oh my! 

Impressed Mule

On 1/26/2019 at 7:47 AM, SoCalMule said:

What an incredibly awe inspiring story! Finding an arc welder in the desert for one thing, but sanding down the "too high welded piston" with a rock and winning his class! Oh my! 

Pfft.

Done it many times.

On 1/26/2019 at 7:47 AM, SoCalMule said:

Impressed Mule

Those were the days. Nothin' like 2-stroke reliability. I remember back in the day sticking a ring on my '79 Husky at the start of a desert trip. Had to use a razor blade to unstick the ring, then I used sandpaper to clean everything up I could put 'er  back together and keep on riding.

• Like 1