Oracle

Advice and recommendation on top end rebuild

My 2008 KTM 530 EXC has been getting more difficult to start lately. So I decided to do the top end. This top end has 13,000 miles on it and looks like it. Frankly, I was pretty surprised the bike was still running as strong as it was. As you can see in the pics, the carbon build up on the piston, cylinder head, and valves is extensive.

So aside from a new piston and rings, what else do I need to do??? Does the head to need to be worked and cleaned??? I'm not sure what to do about all the carbon build up on it and the valves. How do I know if the cylinder itself is ok (looks ok)?

Any recommendation on a local professional to do the head and cylinder work??

For that many miles the carbon deposits look normal.  You can use some solvent and a plastic scraper to remove a majority of it from the valves, then a brass brush to finish it up.  

A good machine shop should be able to check the cylinder for wear and roundness....sometimes they “egg out” a bit.  I’m betting you can put a new piston and rings in there and send it!

Dave Hopkins is the man for head work. Many here me ,CID have sent their heads to him. 

I would check the rod play while you have it open. Probably ok but worth an eyeball.

Tim Dunaway (KTM Trained Mechanic from All American KTM) is now at San Diego Power House out in Lakeside. Did a great job on my 07 KTM 450 top and bottom!