erik_26

Throttle help

Happy Friday,

Recently had issues with my throttle sticking. After troubleshooting and lubricating the throttle cables, I found that the grip heater cable was wrapped around and holding the throttle open on the grip. I was able to spin the grip and undo the binding, problem solved, or so I thought. My throttle grip will gradually spin and cause the same problem. I notice this when I am riding in town and have to stop at every stoplight and shift a bazzillion times. What I believe is happening is that has I cut back on throttle while shifting, I am applying enough closing force to slowly creep the grip forward. Overtime, it is enough for the heater cable to start wrapping around and binding up the throttle.

What is the trick to prevent the grip from rotating on the throttle tube?

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

Grip glue?

Yep!

3 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Grip glue?

Any recommended brands or a brand I should stay away from?

9 minutes ago, erik_26 said:

Any recommended brands or a brand I should stay away from?

This could get to be a tire/chainlube/oil thread. ;  )

There are folks who swear by hairspray, gasoline, safety wire (old skool, not good with heated grips) isopropyl alcohol and any number of other home brew remedies.

I've used Grip Glue from Pro Taper and Renthal, and most smell and act suspiciously like cyanoacrylate, commonly known as Super Glue.

Be aware it's awfully handy to have grips come off easily for replacement, so I try to use enough that they don't turn on the bars/throttle, but not enough to make in a pain in the ass to take off.

18 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Super Glue.

By Rotella.

My favorite kind!

5 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

Still a fan of hairspray-I'm old.  Don't think Rotella makes any though.

AquaNet?

19 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

AquaNet?

Brings back memories........of when I had hair!!

Take off old grip. Clean inside of grip and throttle tube with acetone on a rag, once clean spray the tube and the inside of the grip with the 3m adhesive. While it's still wet, slide the grip onto the tube. Make sure you pull apart the opening of the grip as you push it on to the tube so the edge of the grip doesn't work like a squeegee and push all the adhesive toward the throttle. Let it dry thoroughly before succumbing to the urge to twist the grip to see if it's set.

Image result for 3m spray adhesive

Ditto to what oracle said, i also bought protaper grip glue and didnt like it basically super glue. the spray 3m is much better

I’ll try anything that uses an activator. 

Do they come off without major hassle?

Three bond products rule. This is just one of their brilliant glue and sealant products. after letting it cure, add 3 separate wraps of .032 safety wire , use a mallet or small hammer on the folded tag end and place it where you hand doesn't go (see example). Most modern hand grips even have safety wire grooves molded in. 

s-l300.jpg

safety-wired-grip.jpg

9 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

I’ll try anything that uses an activator. 

Do they come off without major hassle?

It isn't too hard to remove them. A little scraping is needed to get the tape off. 

2 hours ago, erik_26 said:

Thank you all!

Wait- I don't believe we've even begun to argue about this.

Seems a little premature to dismiss the subject, right? I mean there's plenty of room for rancor, and this is a motorcycle forum, right? I mean, what are we if we're not fighting about stuff? Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO!

Lemme start.

Ahem.

These are $10,000 motorcycles- who'd want to use golf club products on them?

These are $10,000 motorcycles- who'd want to use graphic art adhesive on them?

I'll use what he manufacturer says is correct. They have engineers that specify for a reason. I'm going to use Motorex Grip Glue and anyone who disagrees with me is dumb.

Go home Bowers, you're drunk.

• Like 1

just to oil thread this …..all these are viable lots of choices

s-l300.jpg

pro taper.jpg

motion pro.jpg

Renthal glue.jpg

rfx.jpg

motopro.jpg

I have always used spray primer paint to get the grips  on and then use lockwire to keep them in place.  Glue seems like a better idea, although with primer, I just cut the grips off and the bars clean up easy.