Sign in to follow this  
simicrintz

500 EXC muffler question

Been poking around and planning the changes that I need to do on the Orange bike.  Saving up for the Vortex and plan to do the smog delete and reed valve removal (only about 100 miles on the bike and already hate the flame outs!).  Looking at end cap replacements (like this one: https://www.ktmandhusky.com/exhaust-upgrades-for-2017-exc-fe) instead of a complete new muffler; waddya guys think?  Seems the stock box is okay but the restrictions inside are less than desirable.  If these work like presented and I can keep the stock appearance (to avoid ranger danger) it sounds interesting.

2 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

Been poking around and planning the changes that I need to do on the Orange bike.  Saving up for the Vortex and plan to do the smog delete and reed valve removal (only about 100 miles on the bike and already hate the flame outs!).  Looking at end cap replacements (like this one: https://www.ktmandhusky.com/exhaust-upgrades-for-2017-exc-fe) instead of a complete new muffler; waddya guys think?  Seems the stock box is okay but the restrictions inside are less than desirable.  If these work like presented and I can keep the stock appearance (to avoid ranger danger) it sounds interesting.

Bruce come look at my bike ! I can give you my scoop. 

Thanks, Ken!  I still have your number (but can't remember how to get to your home!); I'll try and text you tomorrow and see when would be a good time; thank you again!

Lots of guys just remove the perforated metal screens and that's it. That's what I did. Plenty of power and quiet.

Good info here: http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?535125-12hp-Increase-2017-FE450-450EXC-with-Simple-Mods-Closed-Course-Race-Setup

Vortec is very nice and very expensive. JD Tuner works great on my bike and is super easy to adjust.

Thank you, Jim!  If what I read is true (and I don't have $5,000 to "fix" this bike) this thing is so constipated to pass noise req's that it can be damaging (overheating, too lean, etc.).  I'd like to clean it up and improve on what is there without breaking the bank.  I'll have to look at the JD Tuner as well and see what that is all about.  Thank you for the link as well!

4 hours ago, amgems said:

Lots of guys just remove the perforated metal screens and that's it. That's what I did. Plenty of power and quiet.

Good info here: http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?535125-12hp-Increase-2017-FE450-450EXC-with-Simple-Mods-Closed-Course-Race-Setup

Vortec is very nice and very expensive. JD Tuner works great on my bike and is super easy to adjust.

+1 on what Jim said! 

I went FMF Q4 and a JD Tuner. 

Suspension 101 love  Best money spent  

Works great. 

Your welcome to test ride it. 

I know its a little bit apples to oranges, but my ,15 500Exc had that same perforated screen and it ran super hot. I did the ktmandhusky endcap and it made a world of difference.

You are the one I was thinking of, Ken, when I mentioned that I didn't have $5,000 to throw at this :)   I ride yours and the hook will definitely have been set!  Thank you for the offer though!

Sometimes apples and oranges can compare, 'toomer!  Sounds like that end cap is the same (or similar) to what I was looking at, so I appreciate your take on that.

Gonna try and hook up with kkug in the next couple of days if he has time and see what he's done.  Love being able to ask you guys this stuff without wasting a bunch of time or money!

• Like 1

I've followed Kug's lead on the simple setup of the EXC and have not been disappointed.  No glitzy stuff, but solid and it performs as needed.  

Thanks, Van; I've got some honey do stuff to accomplish this weekend but hope to get with Ken soon and see his setup.  Nice to get your validation as well though!

I've pulled both screens from the stock exhaust and hope to pull the reed valve tomorrow some time (everything I read states that the air box will not collapse and I can just pull it (remember doing this on my '82 XR500); anyone have a different take on that?).  Question is if once that is done will I mess anything up if I run it that way (screens replaced and reed removed) and don't install a tuner?

It will run too lean if you run it like that. You need a tuner to compensate for those mods. 

You can get the tuners from Rocky Mtn -- probley for this weekend  !

I'll check that out, Kug-thank you!  Since I have not been able to try and get over to see you, am I on the right path?  And it appears that you did the JD Tuner and not the Vortex, right?  The cheap side of me wants to stay away from the Vortex (looks like a lot of settings I will probably never use) but I don't want to regret making the wrong decision either.  I hear good things about both tuners from those that have them.  Slow time of the year for the pool guy (as far as cash flow) but trying to make good decisions :)

I know we all have our budget limits , so you guys are on the smart path. No bad info here. We all have lots of choices.

James Dean, JD Jetting is great (IMHO the best) resource and product guy and for budget conscious to avoid going to the full on Race team level Vortex or GET ECU level.

As for mufflers a lot of those caps are probably the best engineering solution for the best cost effective price point, but again the best top tier solution is a proper muffler from one of the top tier companies Akropovic, FMF, Pro Circuit, Arrow etc. etc.

When and if I get the FE501 It will have a Vortex or GET ECU, (along with all the other standard FX450 (race bike) configurations), an FMF Racing muffler , as well as modified OEM one for compliance, US DS rides.

example of my kit for the TX300, I have the OEM TX300 muffler (for spare), an FMF Ti 2.1 (normal use), and a FMF Turbine Core 2 ( for AMA S/A compliance)

I've been using JD products in all my bikes since 2006 with 100% satisfaction

Thank you for the info, Robert; much appreciated!  I have heard nothing but good stuff about Mr. Dean as well, but it is always good to get validation from an "outside source".  I think that I will go over and get the JD tuner ordered and feel good about that decision; really looking forward to getting this dialed in and hopefully getting some seat time in before too long!

Thank you again; really appreciate the input!!

• Like 1

I called Rocky Mountain to confirm that this (https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/jd-jetting-power-surge-6x-fuel-injection-tuner-p) will work on my bike, but they did not know......  I know that JD is on a few other sites and I may be able to reach out to him that way but can any of you guys confirm that this will work on a 2019?  Mucho appreciado!

Steve at C&D Cycles usually has them in stock. 

Ask for a SDAR discount. 

Probably with in $10 of RM. 

I have the JD a have ridden same bike with the Vortex. Couldn’t tell the difference. 

Save your money to get your suspension setup. 2nd best  mod you can do to this bike after on uncorking it  

Atleast get it sprung for your weight so you can get the sag set properly. 

Then hold on tight. 

• Like 1

You rock, Ken-thank you!!!  I will give him a call shortly and see if I can grab one!  Knowing the mods that you have done this info means a lot and is very much appreciated!

Reed cage is out (pretty simple, but the little bugger is stubborn and put up a good fight!) and had Steve hold the tuner for me until I can get by there tomorrow (Thank you again, Ken!).  Hopefully will be able to put in some garage time tomorrow night to install it.  Also have the smog block off kit from Slavens on the way and hope to have that here and installed over the weekend (I have to work on Saturday so I will see how that goes).

One more question: a buddy who runs the Vortex doesn't like the JD Tuner since he says these bikes are severely retarded (timing) and obviously the JD  does nothing for that.  Is this a concern and if so how do I address that?

Thanks, Jim.  That is exactly where I am getting most of my info but thought I would run it by here as well!