MacDuncan

07 525 instrument cluster brightness pulsates?

Worked on the bike a bit today and noticed that the instrument cluster brightness was pulsating when I checked hours and miles (at about .5 second increments). I always found it odd that the odometer info can be read independently of the bike key being turned on or not. Regardless, I have had a bit of hard starting lately, but plan to check valves and mixture, etc.  Has a new battery.  Almost all stock set-up. Any thoughts on possible reasons for pulsating brightness of odometer display while bike is off and key is not turned on?

Well weirdrider, although I laughed out loud when I first read your post, and was about to throw a snappy reply back to ya, but  it makes about as much sense as what I have found at KTMtalk and other sites.  There seems to be some gremlins surrounding this issue.  I may continue to prod and poke all connectors, heck - maybe check the GROUND too!  But really, not just off or on or not working, or buttons don't function...  but pulsating brightness???  Must be cold and cluster battery weak  :) 

I'm thinking that it is a sign that your stator/regulator-rectifier system is starting to show it's age a little bit. Resistance may be increasing in the windings and other internals after 12 years of happy rides. You checked the easy stuff so far, such as the battery, connections, grounds, etc.. You might want to take the pulsating instrument cluster as a warning of a potential trail failure in the future? 

Cheers!  SCMule

• Like 1

I agree with Mule. And out of those possibilities, I'd check the rectifier first, because it will affect voltage while the motor is running. And it's easy to test and accessible. Google "how to test a motorcycle rectifier". They are cheap too and they do tend to go out.

• Like 1

Hmm, he said it’s pulsating with the bike and key off.  Doesn’t sound like a charging system issue to me, but I was wrong once before.....

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Hmm, he said it’s pulsating with the bike and key off.  Doesn’t sound like a charging system issue to me, but I was wrong once before.....

I agree, if the key is off and you are getting power surges in the instrument cluster, I might wonder if something isn't wrong with your ignition. 

Well, he does not specifically say the bike is not running in regards to the pulsating dash issue. If that is the case, then your point is valid of course. However, if it's occurring while the bike is running, then it's a voltage issue.  The dash cluster pulsating is different than the dash coming on without the key on. The gauge cluster has small battery inside. When the bike is pushed or the front wheel spins, even though the ignitition is off, the speedo gauge will light up and display info. If the display is pulsating under these circumstances, then the small dash gauge battery needs to be replaced.  

21 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Well, he does not specifically say the bike is not running in regards to the pulsating dash issue. If that is the case, then your point is valid of course. However, if it's occurring while the bike is running, then it's a voltage issue.  The dash cluster pulsating is different than the dash coming on without the key on. The gauge cluster has small battery inside. When the bike is pushed or the front wheel spins, even though the ignitition is off, the speedo gauge will light up and display info. If the display is pulsating under these circumstances, then the small dash gauge battery needs to be replaced.  

I agree, I bypassed the part that he said the key was off. 

Great info.  Thanks to you all.  I will pick up a CR 2430 soon and see what that does.  That sure would be a nice easy fix if it works.  Otherwise, I will soon begin replacing pieces and parts.  It was pulsating when the bike was not running.  I know some flashlights pulsate to indicate a low battery, so there is some logic there, but I didn't make the association to that being a possibility on an orange motorcycle!

Heck, I had no idea that there was a mini battery in the cluster and I have been down in there a few times checking connectors. Good detective work from afar :) I appreciate the brainstorming and diagnoses.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. It's going be the 2430 battery. I just saved you $300. Your welcome. 🤣

21 minutes ago, Wierdrider said:

I looked all over for that battery, then called Motoworld. They had it in stock. 

Friend, I am often wrong, but I think you can pick that up at Walgreens, Walmart, Target, Lowes... probably most big box stores. Might be way cheaper than going to Motoworld. Then again, if you are looking for an excuse to give to the wife to go to a bike shop, carry on.