DangerDaveSD

Adventure focused shop in San Diego

Good morning all,

Is there a shop you all go to for lights, racks, skid plates, and other ADV related installs? I'm not at the point where I can confidently install accessory lights, heated grips, etc.

I bought my bike V-Strom from Fun Bike center. They can do some of it, but they didn't seem too confident when I asked. I got a "Yea, we could probably do that.".....

Any recommendations on shops around SD?

Thanks,

DD

PBR in Lemon Grove, the guy works for beer!

His name is Tom ( tntmo)

All joking aside, he can do it👍👍

Retired military mechanic!

I'm willing to help if you want.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I'm still doing research on what all I want to do, but I'll definitely take you up on your offer once I figure it out.

I definitely want to mount a couple of accessory lights, just not sure where yet, but most likely on my engine guard. Possibly heated grips as well.

Any suggestions on stuff that will be beneficial on out on the trails?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DangerDaveSD said:

Any suggestions on stuff that will be beneficial on out on the trails?

Skid plate first if you plan to do anything off pavement.  The V-Strom has a pretty exposed underbelly. 

Guest Jdawg
1 hour ago, tntmo said:

Skid plate first if you plan to do anything off pavement.  The V-Strom has a pretty exposed underbelly. 

Wise man.  

I would add that make sure it is a well built skid plate.  Crash bars (especially sturdy full ones that protect stator/clutch cover, and/or radiator protection) are high on my trail required list.  

1 hour ago, Jdawg said:

I would add that make sure it is a well built skid plate.  Crash bars (especially sturdy full ones that protect stator/clutch cover, and/or radiator protection) are high on my trail required list.

Luckily I am adept enough to install both of those on my own. I already have crash bars installed, and the skid plate is on order. 

It's really the electrical stuff that freaks me out. Probably flashbacks from my last bike that had electrical gremlins. 

Hey Danger Dave, there are quite a few members with wee-stroms or V-stroms, I have one, and from my understanding, most of us have installed most parts as needed as owners, just like you do. Maybe share where you live more specifically so folks in that area can guide you to a shop, or to look at their stroms (also look at the stromtroopers web site for info too).

I am sure a few members would offer that support. However, before you get too deep into it, note that there are 2 main camps of thought with the V-strom community when discussing adventures, and you will have to ride various terrain to decide which camp you want to mainly participate in before you spend a lot of money on that bike for rough riding. One group of owners will take it anywhere and try anything. Others consider it to be their road bike for interstate travel, commuting, camping from it, zipping through the local mountains, or to ride mostly smooth dirt roads as the most rough terrain to get to a remote campsite. As was shared, most folks install a skid plate asap as a first step regardless of the intended use. Your next steps should be to cruise down to Borrego and roam on some jeep roads (I will attach a map), or ride the perimeter road at Corral Canyon, or ride out to Picacho (preferably with a friend) to see which type of v-strom rider you might prefer to be in the future.   Then, you can buy more parts for it, or buy a smaller off-road orientated bike  :)  to be used for gnarly rocks and deep sand.

The first reply was by Weirdrider, who is likely one of the more knowledgeable v-strom riders on the site.  He might offer more in-depth narrative and opinion, as he would take his v-strom to places I would never take mine.  Hope that offers some insight.  Good luck, Cheers. 

Local jeep road map for Borrego:                    abdsp_Park_Map201704.pdf

And, Car camping style from the v-strom  :)  in Joshua Tree (and Oracle thought I carried a bunch of stuff on my 525 when camping - my vstrom carries a bunch more!  - haha) 

IMG_2310.thumb.jpg.3b74b41fab66a1a216ce0bc704c1ae53.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats on your VStrom, it a lovely machine. Mine’s a 2006. I got a fortunate deal, my bike came with an after market shock and pipe, don’t know if the front spring rate had been changed from stock, but tntmo found gold emulators in the forks when he changed the fork oil for me. It had a fork brace on the front which I here really helps out. It had a power commander on it ( I haven’t touched it ). It had mirrors extensions, heated grips ( I like a lot ), a madstad adjustable windscreen mount ( I like ), and a Sargent seat. I’ve only tried the stock seat a couple of times. 

I’ve added Givi crash bars ( my blinker sometimes hits first ), an Enduro Gaurdian skid plate, an Enduro Gaurdian radiator and oil cooler gaurds. I got 1" bar risers. I bought a lowering kit for the foot pegs that also moves the shifter forwards an inch. From adventure tech.  http://www.adventuretech.biz/ 

I then splurged and got some Pivot Pegz.

I bought some used Happy Trails Racks, and a new top box from Happy Trails that I mounted on a slider rack. I used soft bags that came with the bike initially, then found some panniers on CL. I have a USB port that tntmo installed, and a pigtail for a battery tender. Tntmo is gonna install a voltage meter someday too. I have a 12v plug that’s not installed yet. I would also like some extra lighting and a modulating brake light. The stock headlights are pretty good though.

I sure have enjoyed my Wee, I’m sure you will too.  It sounds like you’re doing the right mods up front. 

Enjoy, 

ride on!

Wierdrider outBF81300E-DE97-49C6-A179-C3CE65256E4B.thumb.jpeg.d74ffb7ed359942e4e5c103071400b66.jpegD6BA69CF-661D-4EE8-A47B-A604BCE4F56D.thumb.jpeg.f2404b62ed607d323761e6a85753b207.jpeg7B5D5FA0-6A41-4FE4-B697-EE6A438F2B1F.thumb.jpeg.b01420ee448c4f2d00ecec8f48cf6623.jpeg5A0558BB-A9AF-45BA-82E7-5F99B1AB1261.thumb.jpeg.7e4c928764c43e8eca4d6b1bd59698fb.jpeg04B60229-9CF3-4F68-B66B-54704DF59217.thumb.jpeg.07b354d42e84679cae3a2fabe6570ef9.jpeg04B30989-37A7-483B-89E3-D8DEBFCFEADF.thumb.jpeg.279a44230bb8aa1f201666c55e4a8b6b.jpegBA0CB716-BC70-4ABD-8C35-0F924CEB62DD.thumb.jpeg.c5c8bb2655fdf0b7b7e5c6c63a6eb403.jpegB8C3B74A-0C45-45AF-BB84-87E61AFB02BC.thumb.jpeg.48cb748ec58415c65a18556df4bdeb6d.jpeg3E22A02C-2F81-4095-AFC3-E92B993B846D.thumb.jpeg.1e451b1dfa4740f28e2bceacb868eccb.jpegF01E6F51-9A71-4B24-96FE-D009A1FA040B.thumb.jpeg.be91fac99d995a606b6fb50ba598ecd1.jpeg0CDD31B7-E71B-4E97-ACAC-EACAB45BB43B.thumb.jpeg.8074be4a954d5640158dc00bc11ba861.jpeg24F9E4BB-A961-455D-9AB3-EB4E6F1484F7.thumb.jpeg.d495700ad95e60485eb082fb60ede230.jpeg

762D97C8-668E-4D8F-B8FA-A4EC4A8C1ACD.jpeg

@MacDuncan Thank you for your advice. I'm definitely interested in starting with the smoother dirt trails and Jeep roads. I imagine I'll stick with those for quite a while. Since you ask, I'm in the UTC area, but my family has a ranch out in Julian, so I travel back and forth quite a bit. I definitely think you're right in that I should take a few trails first and then see what else I need. As long as I have the protection (cage and skid plate) it sounds like I can start on the easy trails.

@Wierdrider My focus is definitely on protection first and foremost. I anticipate I will have a drop or two early on because I'm new to the dirt. I'm pretty confident with non-electrical bits. I've already installed the Givi crash bars and the Skid plate is on the way. I'll take a few starter trails and see what else I need.

• Like 1

Guest Jdawg

Hey Dave,

I’m just south of you in Clairemont, so hit me up if you wanna meet up and/or grab a beer 🍻 to put a name to a mug.

Jdawg