97xr400r

KTM 500 Twin ADV Bike

It seems like a great sized bike.  I saw a few Honda 500’s converted to ADV bikes last summer.  Much easier to handle than a big when the roads get rough but still enough on the highway.

The biggest challenge will be convincing the US market that 500cc is a big enough bike.

• Like 1

My question to the ADV crew. Everyone keeps saying go lighter go lighter, go smaller....at that point why not just buy 500 (FE or EXCF) or other brand "small" DS machine and throw on a huge Acerbis or Safari tank, add your fave brand side bags etc., a rally windscreen, upgrade suspension for the weight and have a 300 pound ADV bike? My crew all seem to adore their 1090Rs (bigs) and love to challenge themselves to a fairly high level on them, as an adventure unto itself. They all have full on "racing" DS bikes (smalls) and non DS "race ready" bikes as well.

5 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

My question to the ADV crew. Everyone keeps saying go lighter go lighter, go smaller....at that point why not just buy 500 (FE or EXCF) or other brand "small" DS machine and throw on a huge Acerbis or Safari tank, add your fave brand side bags etc., a rally windscreen, upgrade suspension for the weight and have a 300 pound ADV bike? My crew all seem to adore their 1090Rs (bigs) and love to challenge themselves to a fairly high level on them, as an adventure unto itself. They all have full on "racing" DS bikes (smalls) and non DS "race ready" bikes as well.

Definitely a plus one on that Robert! But hey, I don't own a 1090R or the likes. I am intimidated by the heavy bikes for riding anywhere other than the street or a very dry dirt road. I have seen guys that can out ride most on these behemoths... but so far that is not me. I would need to pack a crane in my Wolfman bags to lift anything over 260 pounds; or maybe I could get some lifting training from RiggerDan! 

I guess its just that gray area, dependent on what and who defines an ADV bike. to me , my race bike TX300 Husqvarna is a full on ADV bike.......do I rip to the tip? no way but every time I ride it its an adventure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

That’s what some of us have been doing for years.

3C9F60BD-EE79-4F8B-A9E3-697FB8BC89A3.jpeg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

I guess its just that gray area, dependent on what and who defines an ADV bike. to me , my race bike TX300 Husqvarna is a full on ADV bike.......do I rip to the tip? no way but every time I ride it its an adventure.

And that’s it...riding is an adventure.  When I ride my Trail 90 or my Kymco scooter it’s an adventure, but neither of those would have been my choice for the ride I did last summer.  

It’s good to have different bike choices for different adventures.  In my (deranged) mind a mid sized bike like the 500-650 range would have worked well for my adventure and maybe convinced me to do more dirt miles.

Enjoy whatever works for you!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

That’s what some of us have been doing for years.

3C9F60BD-EE79-4F8B-A9E3-697FB8BC89A3.jpeg

What a great photo! I bet the stars at night where amazing! 

Our 500 cc Adventure Bikes by KTM 

P1050873.JPG

• Like 1

So many appreciated comments here. No perfect bike, everyone's perfect is just a bit different. Seems every ride is different.

I guess I'm just looking for a bike I can ride with confidence to the East coast and take ANY dirt road along the way.

No trailers, no trucks. Load the bike DOWN and go...

Dang my 990 was a beast, above 75 ambient, she got hot shortly after it wasn't going 40mph,  disliked slowing down approaching turns off road. Great on the street, loved doing drifting burnout wheelies. Just don't drop it by your self, uuugh.

Xr650r single, good almost everywhere, but I feel bad for it while doing 85 on the highway, up to Apple valley, rip to hot springs, simmer soak #noyogapantsdoh , hit some single track, head home. 

Ya gotta be able to pick it up by your self. We've all been there... "Fuuug, I can't pick this thing up! C'mon partner, get up!" Like a fellow creature just down for the count, fluids returning to the earth, glug glug.....

For me, I can see a small twin being just smooth, powerfull, and reliable enough to do it all in comfort. 

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

May some engineering department think it's a great idea to apply funding/brains/time to my fantasy bike/engine combo. 🤣

No, really, It'd be a great bike.🤞

• Like 1