simicrintz

Can I use this for fuel?

I’m confident they’ll do just fine. 

I’m further confident that water bottles full of fuel would likely pop their convenient  removable tops the first time my bike, and it’s soft saddlebags, hits the dirt, (as is it’s wont) soaking the contents of my bags and my body with fuel. 

Got a cigarette? Anyone?

Farfetched? Nope.

The left side of my Giant Loop is still stained from the burst quart of oil (previously factory sealed) I carried to Death Valley in 2010. I actually had to remove the contents, then the bag itself, to pour out the oil. 

It is my most humble opinion that while Prestone jugs and squirt-top water bottles will carry fuel, they won’t carry fuel safely.  

We we are all welcome to choose our own risks in life.  I will choose a secure container- a white gas camping bottle is just not that expensive.

I'll try and take a few pics but the bottles I'm speaking of look exactly like fuel bottles; same dimensions and same spin on top.  Sometimes I crank them down so hard so that the water won't leak out that I dang near can't open them again!  

Probably should have been clearer as to what type of bottles I am considering :( 

50 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

I’m confident they’ll do just fine. 

I’m further confident that water bottles full of fuel would likely pop their convenient  removable tops the first time my bike, and it’s soft saddlebags, hits the dirt, (as is it’s wont) soaking the contents of my bags and my body with fuel. 

Got a cigarette? Anyone?

Farfetched? Nope.

The left side of my Giant Loop is still stained from the burst quart of oil (previously factory sealed) I carried to Death Valley in 2010. I actually had to remove the contents, then the bag itself, to pour out the oil. 

It is my most humble opinion that while Prestone jugs and squirt-top water bottles will carry fuel, they won’t carry fuel safely.  

We we are all welcome to choose our own risks in life.  I will choose a secure container- a white gas camping bottle is just not that expensive.

Not too sure why anyone with machines in the $10K price point, would poo poo a $10.00 aluminum "fuel rated" one-liter bottle to carry a spot of spare fuel 🙄

52 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

Not too sure why anyone with machines in the $10K price point, would poo poo a $10.00 aluminum "fuel rated" one-liter bottle to carry a spot of spare fuel 🙄

Or a large fuel tank

Some of you guys know I am a "pool guy".  You can go to the pool supply store to buy "Alkalinity UP" for $7 a pound or go buy a 5 lbs. pail of baking soda (food grade so no tax!) at Smart and Final for $3 (sodium bicarbonate is sodium bicarbonate).  You can buy dry acid (sodium bisulfate) at the pool supply for $5 a pound or get it in bulk locally for less than $1 a pound.  You can buy "shock" products for $14 a bag or buy liquid chlorine for $2 a gallon and get rid of algae.

My point is that I'm not afraid to spend the $10 for a fuel rated canister if it really is different.  I'm just not convinced it is any different with the exceptions of a "fuel rated" sticker and  5 times markup!  

wow just get one of these and throw it in the back pack . no need for brain surgery.

Or, and yes before I got one I used mostly empty Maxima oil containers from the small to larger sizes, most of the time wrapped in duct tape. some of the crew use liquid detergent containers with those nice caps and "no spill" lip, those work well too. strapped onto the butt bag belt. You ride/race with it until there is enough space in your tank to dump it and lose the belt weight.

primus.jpg

Nice thread, especially since I carry fuel a bunch due to solo non-specific destination rides, and get lost on occasion.  I am most confident with the rotopax jugs.  I have biffed in Death Valley, in the rocks, with 2 gallons strapped on a luggage rack.  Lots of things would break before those jugs would.  I also have a couple decent size dents in my MSR bottles from taking a nap in rocks while carrying bottles in the saddle bags.  The holsters work great to keep gas on the outside of pack.  As Bowers shared, my main concern, which might be the bottom line for a decision, is just how much "Bang-Bam-Boom" can be done to the container before it breaks or leaks.  !!Carried on the non-exhaust side only  :)  !  Maybe it is about time to see some pics of the different carry options to keep this thread alive. Let us see how you are carrying, especially a bladder on your back - yikes-ish.

Exact lookalikes to what I have, Robert, which begs the question: are these truly different or just rebranded (and repriced) items?  I have to know!!!

I agree, Mac; let's see the options.

I have never carried extra fuel, but know it is big with this group (and I agree it is a good idea) so I am all about learning.

• Like 1

P10204761000w-L.jpg

I can use this for fuel.  Looking closely, the fuel level is in the point to point location. This is 3 gallons in a 4.2 gallon tank. Unless you are on the Moto Track or Single Track, The tank is invisible. 

i-6NcdHkG-L.jpg

I'm sure that these bottles can be used for many purposes, by many companies, and their target market. I feel though that it is important to have a fuel rated bottle when carrying extra fuel. What I mean by fuel rated... would include an o-ring that is designed for fuel use and that the bottle clearly states "for fuel use only." The bags that I carry these bottles in are the Wolfman Daytripper bags. They are not as large as most bags and I use them just to lighten my backpack contents. I carry the bottles on the other side from the exhaust. I don't always carry extra fuel since I have a three gallon Clark tank on my 450 exc. I hope this information may be of help to this thread.

Cheers! Mule. 

PC311691.jpg

PC311692.jpg

3 hours ago, Bagstr said:

P10204761000w-L.jpg

I can use this for fuel.  Looking closely, the fuel level is in the point to point location. This is 3 gallons in a 4.2 gallon tank. Unless you are on the Moto Track or Single Track, The tank is invisible. 

i-6NcdHkG-L.jpg

That 4.2 gallon tank  looks about  right .   I sometimes wander looking for new trails  and am not sure how many miles I might need to cover before A fuel stop is available. 

When I bought this bike, I bought the 4.1 tank (pictured below) thinking it was a good compromise. I subsequently got a deal on a 3.0, then I found a 5.3.

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't get the 4.1. When riding (and even sitting on the shop floor) I cannot tell the difference between the 4.1 and the 5.3- their dimensions are that close. I'd get the 3 (or just use stock) and the 5.

Yes, there's some fuel sloshing around if I don't fill the tank, but I can't feel that either.

It's possible I'm just a terrible and insensitive rider, an unrefined oaf who should only be allowed to ride KLRs.

4 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

It's possible I'm just a terrible and insensitive rider, an unrefined oaf who should only be allowed to ride KLRs.

Sacrilege! 

And You want us to Disagree with you??  😎

Let's talk about it 

Just like Socal mule, I often carry 2 fuel bottles in a wolfman saddle, but sometimes there is a need for more. There seems to be some long sections on the CABDR that could warrant a bigger tank. I might have to finally put on a 6.6 gallon monster tank.  Or, strap on some rotopax, as seen in this pic of some yoyo going through Goler Canyon, as everything is big in Death Valley - haha  :) 

IMG_2024.thumb.JPG.a3a39e1cec163eecc6c9454a20175d7a.JPG

• Like 2