tvscum

Upload gpx tracks to Inreach Explorer+?

I currently have a Garmin 60CSx and I can upload gpx tracks (from dualsportmaps, for example) as long as they are short and limited in number.  It's a bit of a pain to split up the tracks, but it works.  I have "heard" online that there is a 500 point max for uploading to the 60CSx.  Not sure if that is true.

Now, I was looking at a Garmin Inreach Explorer+ for sat communication and also using it to replace my 60Csx.  However, I have seen on the internet that when you upload a gpx track to the Explorer+, it must first be converted to a "route" and then the unit downgrades the the route to a max of 200 points.  Is this true?

All I want to do is follow the blue line on trails and in Baja.  I do not need to navigate to the closest starbucks.  Will the Explorer+ work for this basic type of mapping, or is it going to be even worse than my 60CSx when it comes to importing a long gpx track?  I though it would be cool to just hardwire the Explorer+ and use it as an all-in-one.

Does anybody own one of these who can give advice?  Thanks!

85618E44-9A76-4366-B283-0759B0B185EA.jpeg

Ok, I can answer part of your question. Yes, the 60, 76 and 78 Garmin's have a 500 point per route max. With that said, you can upload any route, even routes over 500 points, into basecamp and convert them to 500 max point routs. Also of note, when you download some routes from the internet, for example all the BDR routes, you have a 500 point route option, so no need to convert those routes. The advantages to the older Garmins is they will automatically run the next closest route for you. So if you are following the BDR, which will include approximately 8 to 10 segements, once you complete a segment, the next one will start. I'm not sure if the newer Montanas do this??? Seems like they should but I do remember one person complaining that it didn't.

As far as the Explorer +, I remember doing research on it last year and there was a reason it wasn't going to work for me. I can't remember what exactly it was but it did have something to do with uploading routes.

That hikingguy Cris actually responded to my question:

You can import using the website and sync to your device but the experience won't be great. The route will just be a series of thousands of individual waypoints. You'd be better off with a different device for following a route unless you just want to look at the screen and see if you're on the track line. 
Glad the site was helpful & have a good one!

That is exactly what I do want to do... "just look at the screen and see if you're on the track line."

However, I would not want a long, curvy route to end up looking like a series of straight lines one mile apart.  I can imagine if I split my track up into five different routes of 200 points each, it might be okay.

Still hoping to find someone who actually owns one and imports long routes.  Thanks for the info guys!

Yup, that's exactly why I DIDN"T want it. It doesn't load an actual route. In other words, you won't be able to follow a little arrow on your screen. It's just going show you way points on a map. You'll still have to figure out how to get to them.

3 hours ago, Oracle said:

Ok, I can answer part of your question. Yes, the 60, 76 and 78 Garmin's have a 500 point per route max. With that said, you can upload any route, even routes over 500 points, into basecamp and convert them to 500 max point routs. Also of note, when you download some routes from the internet, for example all the BDR routes, you have a 500 point route option, so no need to convert those routes. The advantages to the older Garmins is they will automatically run the next closest route for you. So if you are following the BDR, which will include approximately 8 to 10 segements, once you complete a segment, the next one will start. I'm not sure if the newer Montanas do this??? Seems like they should but I do remember one person complaining that it didn't.

Amazing!  I had never tried to convert the tracks from dualsportmaps to a route in Basecamp.  I usually just split the tracks to avoid the Route Truncated error message.

I just gave it a try using Basecamp instructions here:
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/basecamppc/EN-US/GUID-AFF8D4EA-97EC-40BB-9651-EA0B7E0F9394.html

Glad to help. I learned that trick from Afry (Arnie RIP). 

I've used my Garmin 78 extensively with great success. The 500 point routes work fine. With that said, I plan on upgrading to a Montana by this summer.

5 hours ago, Oracle said:

I'm not sure if the newer Montanas do this??? Seems like they should but I do remember one person complaining that it didn't.

Mine does not.

It's entirely possible there's a setting I've not checked or activated.

I read that the Explorer+ can handle the Birdseye Satellite Imagery.  My 60CSx does not.
Hard to believe the Explorer+ would have less of a route import capability than the old school 60CSx.  I have been trying to find a YouTube video of the Explorer+  tracking a route in map view.  thanks again!

This guy talks about importing gpx tracks with the Inreach Explorer and a 500 point max at 2:40 into the video:

Hey Tv, as you research the millions of ways to wander in the wild, you may find that some riders prefer tracks to routes (there seems to be a split camp of thought with this topic, all good).  I always use tracks because I do not like to follow the arrow.  The arrow has let me down quite a few times.  On occasion, if you end up off route, the unit seems to start creating a route of its own to fix your off route boo-boo or additional wander. It feels too restrictive to me (I don't enjoy having the unit tell me where I must go - haha). I simply keep my unit "north" oriented and that keeps me "on-track"  :)    even when I see a cool overlook and decide to leave the track to take a look.

Also, as a clarifier, might be bad news, but there are quite a few riders who use multi-devices for different needs. I never plan to use my InReach Delorme for navigation (the screen and algorithms are funky).  It is only used for 911 emergency, texting when not in cell phone zones, and to let others back in the city see where I am every 10 minutes while wandering around in the wilderness.  My delorme rides deep in my backpack and doesn't get to see the light of day. That is very different than my handlebar mounted Garmin GPSMAP 78, which guides my predetermined destinations and used for backtrack when I need to find my way back to camp. 

I solo ride a bunch and have never had to split tracks.  I just took a look at my tracks in Garmin basecamp and many of them seem to have way more points than 500.  I have downloaded BDR's from the BDR site, to basecamp on computer, to GPSMAP 78 just fine (maybe my basecamp, or my unit, has a 500 point default setting I do not know about, but I have never purposefully adjusted).  In fact, I plan to do some of the CABDR in a couple days and I just downloaded the tracks just fine from CABDR #1, it has about 950 points, if the data it shows are waypoints(?).  (NOTE - NOT BDR to Basecamp to Delorme)

While riding Crawdaddy's palooza routes before, I laughed out loud a couple times when following tracks from Crawdaddy when I had to turn around 2-3 times on a small jeep road, and then had to stop and zoom-in the screen to about 20 ft wide to find the 10 inch wide single track that I couldn't see with my eyes in order to follow the path, ........  sure, the route would have had an arrow to turn "NOW" as I passed the turn, but I like to ride being able to look down at my unit with my focus being upon an overview map instead of a directional arrow. It allows me to maintain a better sense of where I actually am in regard to valleys, mountains and distant paved roads.  By the way, I looked at a bunch of tracks on my unit from Crawdaddy's rides and I did notice that they all seem to be just under 500. Darn, I didn't know that, and I do not know the difference between the BDR downloads, and track installs, sorry. 

As a possible bizarre perception from watching my riding buddies lead on occasion..... the riders who seem to have a better intuitive sense that they always know which way is north (like knowing that when riding in the USA around noon, your shadow is always pointed North), tracks seem to be preferred.  Those who might point in any random direction when asked about north, seem to prefer routes, but I am sure millions of folks might contradict this possibly skewed non-data-driven perception - smiles.   

Good luck with this topic, as there seems to be infinitely many perceptions and procedures to get it right for each person's individual riding style, and I may have just thrown another wrench into the already confusing post  :) 

Thanks for that info.  I agree, I think what I need are TRACKS.  I never need to be rerouted.  If I get off the blue line I just ride back to it.  I never need the line to change.  

I suppose I am confused about whether you can upload TRACKS to the Explorer+, or only routes.  The difference seems pretty clear  from the Garmin site below. 

I would like to use this as an all-in-one because then it is hardwired to the battery for GPS, it is attached to my handlebars in clear satellite view to send 10-minute tracking to my wife, and I can use my iphone for simple messaging when I stop.

I suppose I could just buy one and if it won't give me a thin blue line to follow... just return it.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=v0rJAHy2hq3prHjRlxdRw5

How do you know whether you should use a Route or a Track?

• Routes are best suited for reaching a specific destination, or set of destinations, when the path being taken is not important. When navigating a route, directions will be provided either as a straight line to the destination(s) or, when using a routable mapping product, as an automatically calculated path using available roads and/or trails. If you go off course on a route, the path will recalculate based on your current location.
  • Tracks are best suited when it's necessary to travel on a very specific path to reach the desired destination. When navigating a track it's possible to recreate an exact hike or ride that you or someone else has completed previously. If you go off course on a track, the GPS unit will redirect you back to the original path rather than recalculating a new one.

21 minutes ago, tvscum said:

I would like to use this as an all-in-one because then it is hardwired to the battery for GPS, it is attached to my handlebars in clear satellite view to send 10-minute tracking to my wife, and I can use my iphone for simple messaging when I stop.

Not sure about tracks on explorer, sorry. However, I get that you want one device, and I used to have similar thoughts/concerns.  My lean away from that is due to the following: 1) I hardwired my GPSMAP 78 because you can leave the backlight on and it has significantly more easy user-friendly interface with tracks on the handlebars when riding.  Also, I was pleased to discover how well the signal of the Delorme seemed to go through a drybag, and the material of my hydration system, and maybe around firstaid kits, etc... while deep in my backpack, AND, I have ridden for full days and the power only went from 99% to 92% on a full day (I do carry a charger on multiday trips so if I ever stop at a pub in a small town, I charge while I eat, or use a portable charging device). 

The bottom line may be that I need both reading glasses and distance glasses .....grrrr ....  and the explorer, with such a small screen, about half the size of the Map 78, doesn't allow me to read easily on the fly :)  

Reading a lot of Amazon reviews critical of the GPS capabilities and gpx import limits of the Inreach.  Apparently, the inreach acts differently than other Garmin devices because Inreach was developed Delorme originally.  So, there is no all-in-one option?   I may as well go with a Garmin mini or a bivystick, which requires me to carry...

- 60Scx hardwired
- Satellite message device
- Iphone
- Backup battery charger

Thanks to all!

1 hour ago, tvscum said:

Reading a lot of Amazon reviews critical of the GPS capabilities and gpx import limits of the Inreach.  Apparently, the inreach acts differently than other Garmin devices because Inreach was developed Delorme originally.  So, there is no all-in-one option?   I may as well go with a Garmin mini or a bivystick, which requires me to carry...

- 60Scx hardwired
- Satellite message device
- Iphone
- Backup battery charger

Thanks to all!

Yeah basically the Inreach is still based on Delorme hardware\software. AFAIK there is not a good option that does both navigation and satellite communication. I have the Inreach SE+ (the same as the Explorer minus the nav capabilities) and a Montana. Inreach goes in my backpack and Montana on the handlebars. I like that with the Inreach SE+ you can use it stand alone or via bluetooth on your phone. I've used the Inreach extensively over the past few years - on the bike, in the motorhome and the 4wd. It's been extremely reliable. Costco had the SE+ for $209 for awhile though right now it's back to $279. Maybe it will go on sale again?