amgems

Ocotillo Wells to Blythe 1/26 - 1/27

This is not an "organized" ride. There is no one "organizer" or "leader". This ride came about in this way: A cup-a-la guys were sittin' around havin' a cup-a-la beers and thought this ride would be a good idea. No sweep, no support, you are responsible for your own safety and operational readiness. Carry tools, water, tubes, etc., etc. Now....with that outa the way, some more information about this ride.

If there is heavy rain forecast for the 26th - 27th it may be may postponed until 2/9/19 - 2/10/19. I have done this ride in light rain and it was probably more fun than on a dry dusty day. Just putting this rain date out there if the storm of the century comes thru.

Kick stands up at 0800 1/26/19, at the bathrooms by the Ocotillo Wells Ranger Station. Some parts of the route that was used on the mystery ride. Spend the night in Blythe (Motel 6). Head back early Sunday.

I would rate this an intermediate ride. Some rough roads, and because of the distance all will need to keep up a good pace and make time. There will be stops for lunch both days and at some interesting places along the way. There is some areas with deep sand and some areas with rocks. I would not take a bike over 500cc on this ride.

Park right at the rest rooms at the ranger station. The route will bypass the whooped out off road park. First gas after OW is in Mecca. The next gas is in Blythe.

The one stretch from Mecca to Blythe is about 130 miles with no gas. Not a straight shot, some side trips. I've done it with a 3 gal tank. Just have to ride easy on that stretch. I will carry an extra half gallon. On the return part of the loop there are more gas stops. Maybe 75 miles max between them.

Eat a hearty breakfast Saturday before the ride. We'll stop for lunch mid day on the way out and on the way back. Breakfast at Dennys Sunday.

Motel 6 in Blythe is cheap. There are some restaurants and bars within walking distance. I was thinking of reserving a room for both dates, then cancelling the one not used. They do fill up on Saturday nights from people traveling from LA to PHX.

We will see an oasis, mines, caves, bombs, tanks, a big ass boat out in the middle of the desert, and other cool stuff.
  • Like 2

Sorry, I'll be in Cabo.  Swing by for a beer!  If postponed to 2/9, I'd be in.

2 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Hmm. Wonder if I can get away with this...

IF this were an organized event, the organizers/organizer, IF there were any, would most certainly hope you could.

17 minutes ago, amgems said:

IF this were an organized event, the organizers/organizer, IF there were any, would most certainly hope you could.

And I'd be flattered and grateful to those theoretical organizers.

In the abstract, of course.

Just rhetorically, of course.

I think I'll go with "I had a physical yesterday (I did) and the doc says I need more exercise. I'm thinking of starting right after Christmas Day- ok?" 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, amgems said:

Are you looking at the date correctly? Just checking. 

Yup.

I was thinking about riding across the country that week but maybe I'll do this. Options are nice.

You guys always plan these rides on District 38 race days. If it’s the 2nd date I’m in. 

I could only make it thru first couple paragraphs of the original post. Sounds awesome though.

• Confused 1

Motel 6 on Donlon is the place. 

Funny that there are two of them. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, SpaceCowboy said:

You guys head out today? If it’s the second date, I’m in. 

I think you’re a month early 

19 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

I think you’re a month early 

You’re right, Got a little ahead of myself. Count me as a “probably in if no family stuff comes up” 

On 12/27/2018 at 6:58 AM, kkug said:

Lurking 

I was just checking the minutes from the Blythe City Council meeting and a top subject of discussion was the shortage, if not, the complete lack of, Kug stickers in their town. It would certainly benefit the city if you could make it.

1 hour ago, SpaceCowboy said:

You’re right, Got a little ahead of myself. Count me as a “probably in if no family stuff comes up” 

We're still on schedule with the original dates. Hope you can make it. I'll post up any final details, date changes, etc. as we get closer.

Just made my reservation at Motel 6 Blythe (NOT Motel 6 Blythe - South)

It seems as though my schedule would allow me to make this trip.  Haven't made it out on any of the SDAR rides yet, but have ridden with a few of the active members on non-associated multi-day trips.  I would look forward to it if you would have me.

Looks interesting.  I’m hopeful...

21 hours ago, Moeny said:

It seems as though my schedule would allow me to make this trip.  Haven't made it out on any of the SDAR rides yet, but have ridden with a few of the active members on non-associated multi-day trips.  I would look forward to it if you would have me.

Absolutely

53 minutes ago, amgems said:

Absolutely

Ok, thanks.  Reservation for the 26th at motel 6 done.   Sounds like a good ride.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Moeny said:

Ok, thanks.  Reservation for the 26th at motel 6 done.   Sounds like a good ride.

Yeah Ben!:good:

I guess I am in --I booked a room !!!

• Like 2