29 minutes ago, MacDuncan said:

CID, some CABDR reports are rolling in. I think a couple SDAR riders have done it now. I may ride it during the week of March 11. Are you gonna go for it, or wait for the Yamaha?  smiles. 

Not sure yet if my regular riding buds can match the departure date, so I may go solo, I have done the COBDR solo twice now, so all good. Maybe, I will have a support vehicle around later in the week (and to transport bike/rider home down 395 after) but nice to know if crossing paths somewhere in the wilderness might happen with any SDAR riders riding the same week. I know that sometimes it is best to have smaller groups that stay together, like a couple groups of 5 instead of a group of 10, or even pairs or triples, etc...  less waiting around that way, and easier communication, and less dust  :) , but nice if the camping destination at the end of the day is a similar spot to share, sitting around the fire ring. 

I still need to figure out if all the deviations are worth it??  The little out-n-back above Blythe, Primm, the 2-3 loop choices near Death Valley (which ones are most rewarding... as I don't think riders try to do them both). And, if there still is the budget crisis that may alter Death Valley Park entry, and snow levels? ... but hoping by March 10, snow is a non issue. I will put a big tank on bike to avoid rotopaks  :)   .  Just  checking in, Cheers

I might be able to do a few days. I want to be back by the weekend. I’ll start looking into it. 

CiD

Just now, Covered in Dust said:

I might be able to do a few days. I want to be back by the weekend. I’ll start looking into it. 

500 or 950?

I'm booked up the first three weekends in March but currently open the 22nd-24th.    I can burn some vacation on week days but I'd like to incorporate a weekend to cut down on vacation time.   Sounds like the consensus is to take the 500 vs. the 950.......if not this year some future year......

A group of ~10 or so friends are starting the ride TODAY.......they have a mix of big and small bikes........it'll be interesting to hear their feedback........I believe they will be staying at motels each night rather than carrying camping gear......

I went to the BDR movie at SDBMW couple weeks ago...they said so far, it's the toughest BDR route.

Big bikes OK but only for experienced riders.

I've done many of the areas on my own, excluding the most southern portion.

Looks like a bitchin' route !

On 2/18/2019 at 8:15 AM, MacDuncan said:

CID, some CABDR reports are rolling in. I think a couple SDAR riders have done it now. I may ride it during the week of March 11. Are you gonna go for it, or wait for the Yamaha?  smiles. 

Not sure yet if my regular riding buds can match the departure date, so I may go solo, I have done the COBDR solo twice now, so all good. Maybe, I will have a support vehicle around later in the week (and to transport bike/rider home down 395 after) but nice to know if crossing paths somewhere in the wilderness might happen with any SDAR riders riding the same week. I know that sometimes it is best to have smaller groups that stay together, like a couple groups of 5 instead of a group of 10, or even pairs or triples, etc...  less waiting around that way, and easier communication, and less dust  :) , but nice if the camping destination at the end of the day is a similar spot to share, sitting around the fire ring. 

I still need to figure out if all the deviations are worth it??  The little out-n-back above Blythe, Primm, the 2-3 loop choices near Death Valley (which ones are most rewarding... as I don't think riders try to do them both). And, if there still is the budget crisis that may alter Death Valley Park entry, and snow levels? ... but hoping by March 10, snow is a non issue. I will put a big tank on bike to avoid rotopaks  :)   .  Just  checking in, Cheers

On 2/18/2019 at 8:47 AM, Covered in Dust said:

CiD

On 2/19/2019 at 8:35 AM, Crawdaddy said:

I'm booked up the first three weekends in March but currently open the 22nd-24th.    I can burn some vacation on week days but I'd like to incorporate a weekend to cut down on vacation time.   Sounds like the consensus is to take the 500 vs. the 950.......if not this year some future year......

A group of ~10 or so friends are starting the ride TODAY.......they have a mix of big and small bikes........it'll be interesting to hear their feedback........I believe they will be staying at motels each night rather than carrying camping gear......

On 12/21/2018 at 5:47 AM, kkug said:

lurking 

On 12/20/2018 at 6:53 PM, dstss said:

I want to go.  I'm pretty familiar with all of it from Yuma to Blythe. The rest will be new terrain for me. I'll be watching  for your plans. 

On 12/20/2018 at 7:12 PM, Oracle said:

👌

On 12/21/2018 at 6:42 AM, tntmo said:

Dual sport tires are available for my scooter......

On 12/21/2018 at 10:06 AM, Cosmo said:

Definitely 

I'm carving out some time to do a multi-day camping ride within the next 3 weeks. If the timing works out I hope to join in on someones ride! I'll be on the 650 orthe 9, not sure yet

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:28 PM, Zubb said:

My 3 short term goal dream rides are (1) CABDR; (2) Grand Canyon off pavement Loop (1000 Miles); and (3) Baja Loop to Cabo.

All I need is time off. 

I posted my Grand Canyon Loop tracks on ADV Rider about 10 years ago........pictures are gone since I no longer use photo bucket but the .gpx track file is still available at the end of the initial post........you can be download #1,663 :coolio::heh:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/grand-canyon-loop-out-of-vegas.514339/

We were both on LC4 KTMs.......a 620 and a 640......this loop is doable on big bikes by experienced riders........a few areas to skip and or reroute are noted in the narrative

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crawdaddy said:

I posted my Grand Canyon Loop tracks on ADV Rider about 10 years ago........

One of my favorite rides, like ever...

My ride report with Strega should still be around here somewhere.

9 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

I posted my Grand Canyon Loop tracks on ADV Rider about 10 years ago........pictures are gone since I no longer use photo bucket but the .gpx track file is still available at the end of the initial post........you can be download #1,663 :coolio::heh:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/grand-canyon-loop-out-of-vegas.514339/

We were both on LC4 KTMs.......a 620 and a 640......this loop is doable on big bikes by experienced riders........a few areas to skip and or reroute are noted in the narrative

Thanks for the link, looking forward to reading your report.  It was Dave 6***'s report there that got me all fired up to do this.  I downloaded his trax a long time ago but have done nothing with them.  My Garmin Zumo is just deck fluff.  It just sits there on the handlebar in a vain attempt to make me look like a real adventurer.  

I'm going to give preplanned routing a try in a couple months when I drag @danrider up to Utah and back.  He says he knows how to navigate, but I think he lies since he's a BMW rider.

Thanks again for the tip.  I'll look for the RR.

You guys rock.  God bless America.  Can't wait to hear the ride report on this one.  Would love to make it with you but already have a week long trip to central OR on the books for APR this year.  Have a blast!  And thanks for the link to the "Upshift" magazine.  Great stuff.

• Like 1