Cool. I'm interested. All the photos show guys on big bikes. Are 500 KTM's OK?

CID, will this ride return the way that it came? What size bikes? 450's 500's? 

I’m not sure yet on which bike I’d take but leaning to the 500. It’s much more pleasurable off road for me.

CiD

I want to go.  I'm pretty familiar with all of it from Yuma to Blythe. The rest will be new terrain for me. I'll be watching  for your plans. 

The Nearness of Being, makes the drop off and pick up more manageable .  

Dual sport tires are available for my scooter......

That is a good read CID, Thanks. Pretty cool magazine too.  It really adds some clarity to why some folks like the big bikes, and some folks like the smaller ones, even though packing the smaller ones for overnights can be more challenging because the Blender and crock pot often have to be left behind  :). And nice to hear that even some experienced "Big Bike" riders prefer the small bikes on the BDR's on occasion.  

It wouldn't surprise me if SDAR gets a few questions in the very near future about the riding conditions on Section 1 sent to them from out of state riders coming here to begin the CABDR South.  I have ridden it a few times already, but not on a big bike.   I wonder if some SDAR Big Bike riders have a report for that soft section from the river to Indian Pass summit yet, from a big bike perspective?   I think a couple of you were going out to ride that road before it was officially a BDR.   Maybe, no big for the experienced big bike rider.

Thanks for posting the article.  So far with what I have read, I am feeling better about doing this with my 450.  Should be a fun ride. 

3 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

SD Motorcyclist ( SDBMW ), is having a showing of the cabdr movie on February 2.

http://meetu.ps/e/G9n8C/wfj3c/a

I plan to attend the movie showing.  From what I've read about the route, it is quite Big Bike doable but this is probably the toughest BDR to date, because "sand".

Since I don't have a skinny bike, I'll do this route on the pig. . . and I'll pack light.  I just need to find the time off required for the length of trip.  I'll probably try to do this after the snow up high is gone.  Then I'll ride pavement home.

I'm guessing it's best for skinny bikes to ride this with other skinny bikes.  And pigs ride with pigs due to the obvious speed differences between the two categories of bikes off pavement.

My 3 short term goal dream rides are (1) CABDR; (2) Grand Canyon off pavement Loop (1000 Miles); and (3) Baja Loop to Cabo.

All I need is time off. 

CID, some CABDR reports are rolling in. I think a couple SDAR riders have done it now. I may ride it during the week of March 11. Are you gonna go for it, or wait for the Yamaha?  smiles. 

Not sure yet if my regular riding buds can match the departure date, so I may go solo, I have done the COBDR solo twice now, so all good. Maybe, I will have a support vehicle around later in the week (and to transport bike/rider home down 395 after) but nice to know if crossing paths somewhere in the wilderness might happen with any SDAR riders riding the same week. I know that sometimes it is best to have smaller groups that stay together, like a couple groups of 5 instead of a group of 10, or even pairs or triples, etc...  less waiting around that way, and easier communication, and less dust  :) , but nice if the camping destination at the end of the day is a similar spot to share, sitting around the fire ring. 

I still need to figure out if all the deviations are worth it??  The little out-n-back above Blythe, Primm, the 2-3 loop choices near Death Valley (which ones are most rewarding... as I don't think riders try to do them both). And, if there still is the budget crisis that may alter Death Valley Park entry, and snow levels? ... but hoping by March 10, snow is a non issue. I will put a big tank on bike to avoid rotopaks  :)   .  Just  checking in, Cheers

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MacDuncan said:

I will put a big tank on bike to avoid rotopaks  :)  

That's the spirit!