Covered in Dust

Sat messaging

Nice, I hadn't heard of that gadget, thanks for the heads up. 

If I'm reading it right this only works with iPhones in the USA. Looking forward to further development on this technology. This would complement a 3rd gen spot tracker really well.

10 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

This looks like a great new option for off the grid communication.

https://satpaq.com/

I like that I can buy just what I use.

Chris

Thank you CID, I like this option!

Sounds great.  I own an Inmarsat phone and the service is 40 bucks a month.  This new item would be a lot more economical for sure.  It might even impact satphone  sales/service and drive down the cost of that if it is successful enough, and I don't know why it wouldn't  be.

Cool idea. I couldn't find any pricing? 

If you are truly interested in this please let me know. I contacted the company and we can get a discount.

• Like 1

Hmm.... so with the Satpaq you have to aim it at a satellite? Don't have to do that with Inreach or Spot. Looks like you don't have to aim the Bivistick either but then the monthly fee is about what the Inreach plan costs (actually a few dollars more). Nice to see competition in the marketplace but I think I'll just stick with the Inreach for now.

This is great, looks like lots of competition which should enhance the products and bring down the prices. It will be interesting to see which product comes out on top.

Covered in Options

I chatted with the Bivy Stick rep (live chat at 10:30pm).  She said the monthly fee of $17.99 covers 10 credits.  And the extra credit packs will be added to the website later at:

20 for 8.99
50 for 19.99
100 for 34.99

Looks to me like they just launched the sales website.  I kind of like the extra battery pack for the smartphone.