erik_26

Eyeing Yamaha WR250R and Honda CRF250L

My son has all but commandeered my Yamaha TW200. All I have to ride with him is a Super Tenere, so makes trail riding limited and difficult. (At least that is my excuse to look into buying a 3rd bike).

So, I am thinking about the Yamaha WR250R. Looks nice, I like the EFI, long maintenance intervals and it seems to get pretty decent reviews. I am also looking at the Honda CFR250L, again, long maintenance intervals, has pretty decent reviews, known to be reliable, but, it lacks EFI(or maybe the older ones do?).

To call me a noob, would be an insult to noobs. Trouble is, I am a huge dude. I look like a grizzly bear on a tiny bike when I ride the TW200. Before I run off to craigslist to hunt either of those bikes down, I was wondering if there is a SDAR member in the Chula Vista area that has one of both of those bikes that I could check out and throw my heavy leg over the seat. I kind of want to ride each to compare how comfortable I would be on them for riding on the trail. I don't want to waste anyone's time or take advantage of anyone's generosity.

I know the DRZ are great bikes, but I have heard they have a small cockpit. I was eyeing the new Honda CFR450L, but it looks like you have to spend just as much time servicing it as you do riding it. I don't want to be breaking the bike down every 300-600 miles, seems ridiculous for a duel sport. Not to mention it is like $10K out of the box (way out of my '3rd' bike price range).

I am open to other suggestions. I don't want a bike that is expensive to maintain. I want to stay 400cc or less. It needs to be street legal. I would like electric start and prefer EFI. The Yamaha and Honda 250s keep catching my eye and peaking my interest.

Back in '82 I bought my first XR (XR500R).  I knew the owner of the Honda shop in Escondido and he was able to plate it for me.  I bought mine with 2 other buddies and I was looking at the 250 at the time.  One of my buddies said "you'll outgrow the 250 power and want more.  Get the 500 and grow into it".  He was probably 50 pounds lighter than me (I've never seen 200 pounds so you can tell he was a little guy) and could tear up the 500.  I took his suggestion and never looked back, and never any regrets.  I still have an XR (650L) and I sold an '03 XR400R before that (they had quit making the 500 so I bought that one).  

If your'e a big guy I would look towards a bigger bike than the 250.  If you are going to stick with this I think you will find it more to your liking after a while.

Just my .02, but hope it's helpful!

I just can't love the CRF250L; 24 horsepower and 318 lbs just isn't a good combination in my book. I'm more willing to accept 28 hp and 295 lbs, but I also have a garage full of blue bikes. 

DRZ=Swiss Army knife of dual sport bikes.   It’s possible to do most anything with it but there are better bikes for certain things.

30 minutes ago, tntmo said:

DRZ=Swiss Army knife of dual sport bikes.   It’s possible to do most anything with it but there are better bikes for certain things.

Absolutely this. The DRZ400 does nothing particularly well, but it will do absolutely anything you ask of it.

The 250L is EFI as well. Always has been. I completely agree with everyone’s opinions about it’s wieght and power. Let’s be real, it’s a beginner bike. Anyone above noob level wouldn’t be happy with the CRF250L. I bought it back when I was getting back into riding and I don’t regret the decision. Right around 5k, long maintenance intervals, damn near indestructible, user friendly tractable power band, and not to mention a couch like seat. It was my everything bike (commuting, moto camping, desert, single track, fire roads, etc) but alas I out grew it and now it sits in my garage next to my 300xcw and 950Adv collecting dust. So hey if you decide to go with the 250L let me know!

After a year on the WR, I find myself wanting a litte more power. The WR has adjustable suspension front and rear, I don’t think the CRFL does. I’m in no rush to move up though as this bike has taken me everywhere I wanted to go even at 230. Lbs. I am looking to get the suspension sprung and revalved for me though.   

2 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Thanks. How reliable are the KTMs, really? I know they are very popular, but is it just a cult following or is their real merit behind it? (sorry, I am new and ignorant to all the idiosyncrasies.)

Japanese bikes, regardless of brand, are generally known to be reliable and workhorses. European bikes on the other hand, are known for precision, beauty (especially the Italians) but are also know to be expensive to maintain, difficult to work on and not as reliable. At least, that is how I understand it. I could be grossly misinformed.

I don't want to deal with million dollar oil changes, billion dollar valve checks, trillion dollar air filter replacements and have a 10:1 maintenance hours to miles ridden ratio.

Now, by all means, I like to take care of my stuff and I am not neglectful. I would am looking for dollar to fun value. I am not a racer, fast rider or a stunt man. 

If I have been overlooking KTM for all the wrong reasons, please show me the light brother.

You would be happy with a KTM as well, but your wallet wouldn't. Replacement parts for the Japanese bikes are dirt cheap. For example, OEM clutch lever for my Honda - $7, Aftermarket replica clutch lever for my KTM - $40 (OEM about $50). Oil changes are more expensive on orange bikes too. So unless you plan on racing, stick with a Japanese bike, your wallet will thank you.

7 minutes ago, TexasDualler said:

You would be happy with a KTM as well, but your wallet wouldn't. Replacement parts for the Japanese bikes are dirt cheap. For example, OEM clutch lever for my Honda - $7, Aftermarket replica clutch lever for my KTM - $40 (OEM about $50). Oil changes are more expensive on orange bikes too. So unless you plan on racing, stick with a Japanese bike, your wallet will thank you.

See, that confirms what I have read and heard. I did a little more research on KTM since posting and a common thing is maintenance cost and little issues that plague the bikes. But many people rave about the power.

I have been a Honda guy since the 70's.  They have never let me down and I love to Ride Red.  A couple of months ago I got an orange bike.  100 pounds lighter, good power and much easier to push around and a blast to ride.  I did my own oil change (parts/materials were about $50) and will do most of my own maintenance, just like I do on the red bike.  I have not had it long enough to know how much time/effort/money it will require to keep in tip top shape, but I have no regrets in acquiring this bike.  

B)   You May be more happy with  an Asian mark. The Indians are coming on as well. 

Ask  yourself, “ Do you want the state of the art, or a good bike that weighs 50 lbs more? “ 

No Crime with either choice.

Bagstr

16 hours ago, TexasDualler said:

The 250L is EFI as well. Always has been. I completely agree with everyone’s opinions about it’s wieght and power. Let’s be real, it’s a beginner bike. Anyone above noob level wouldn’t be happy with the CRF250L. I bought it back when I was getting back into riding and I don’t regret the decision. Right around 5k, long maintenance intervals, damn near indestructible, user friendly tractable power band, and not to mention a couch like seat. It was my everything bike (commuting, moto camping, desert, single track, fire roads, etc) but alas I out grew it and now it sits in my garage next to my 300xcw and 950Adv collecting dust. So hey if you decide to go with the 250L let me know!

What are you thinking it would take to separate you from your Honda CRF250L?

I have a Tenere for power/size. My boy rides a TW200. My little T-dub, is my little trail bike, but I can't ride it the same time my boy is. So I am not opposed to getting a little 250 just to burn fuel putting around on the trails. Plus, I have a daughter that might be getting into riding. If she does, she might end up on the T-dub, my boy might upgrade to a 250 if I get one and then I might be looking for a 4th bike....

All good points but consider this for the future. I got a smoking deal 5ish years ago on a 06 Husky TE510, it has had the suspension, carb, valves checked once. I've done the oil changes and tires, it has been rock solid , 4 stroke at low RPMs feels like 2 stroke at high RPMs. If it blows up I cant fix it for what it's worth $2500. or so. I would go Husky again or orange, I loved my street legal Honda 600,and 400 and 450X, once you go european you may not be able to go back.

Hmmmm the kickstand broke last weekend though, and it is going to need tires soon it may e time for a new bike. Naaah I just changed the oil.