simicrintz

Old Anvil

My Mom is cleaning out some stuff and has found an old anvil (she knew that was there) as well as a bunch of old blacksmithing tools. The little research that I have done says the anvil is a Hay-Budden and it has a number 174 on it (I think that is the weight?). She wants to sell everything and has asked me to help, but I'm not finding much good info online and really just want to get an honest idea of what it is all worth for Mom. It's Mom, so it is my duty to protect her from bad people and unscrupulous folks, so this is my cry for help to continue to be her favorite child!

Any of you guys have any knowledge of this kind of stuff or can point me in the right direction? I (and Mom) would surely appreciate it!

A quick google search shows that to be a really nice anvil. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/15583-hay-budden-anvil-id-by-serial-number/

I'm not in a position to be buying tools I don't immediately need. I will put this out there though... I have a cherished collection, three generations worth of tools, They'd be in good hands at my place:D  

Super cool i follow a blacksmith guy on youtube and have no idea how i got hooked on it but cant stop watching

I'll keep that under consideration, Jonny :)   

Some of the stuff we get hooked on, huh Brian?!

9 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

Some of the stuff we get hooked on, huh Brian?!

Yup my wife always keeps asking what im buying and what new hobby im getting into now

I'm not into blacksmithing and really have no use for these tools but they all look awesome and I find myself wanting them!  Funny how that works.  I think Wintyfresh on here has done a few blacksmith classes, possibly a SDAR interested party....

My cousin says that anvils are selling between $4 and $5 a pound and that the tools are $10 to $15 each. The Forged in fire TV show has increased the prices in recent years. He’d be interested in the anvil but only has $400.00 to spend right now.

CiD

Thank you all; I am a bit sentimental and appreciate this for Mom's (she's 82 for crying out loud!) sake!  She is the best and if I can help her in anyway I always will.

CiD-if you could PM me or call/text me (760.535.8411) I would love to chat more about this with you.  I can then pass on to Mom and see what her thoughts are.

Thank you all again; appreciated more than you will ever know.

That’s neat, I love old stuff like that...There is a Blacksmith Museum in Old Town.

36 minutes ago, Huntndogs said:

That’s neat, I love old stuff like that...There is a Blacksmith Museum in Old Town.

I was thinking of that myself. Might be worth talking to those guys about your stuff

Blacksmithing Group in Vista at the Steam engine Museun. 

Thanks, Ken.  I've been by there in the past but never stopped in; will try to get by there tomorrow in my travels!

Living in a rural area, I can tell you that anvils sell fast on our community facebook page. Recently I've seen several for sale in the $500 range. There appears to be strong demand for them.

Thank you, LB.  I am finding that to be the case in my limited exposure with this so far.  Seems to be a fair amount of info/interest on the anvil but I have not learned much about the tools yet.  Hoping to stop by the Vista Museum and learn more.  

I spoke to Mom earlier and she asked me to thank all of you for helping her with this! 

I had dinner with my son tonight (he's 26) and I told him that his Grandma was trying to sell an anvil and that I was trying to help her.  He says "what's an anvil, Dad?  Is it one of those things like Wile. E. Coyote uses"?  Not the path I was gonna take to explain it but it obviously works for some :) 

I'm an amateur blacksmith and happy to help. Right now there's a huge surge in interest in the hobby (mostly due to the show Forged in Fire) and any sort of blacksmithing tool is commanding a big price. You are correct that that is a 174 lbs Hay Budden anvil, I suspect you could see somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 for it. The tongs and hammer should be fairly obvious, those tools along the bottom are called Hardys and go into the Hardy hole on the anvil (it looks like there's also a punch or similar in the anvil's pritchel hole that can be removed). 

I'm in a buy/sell blacksmithing facebook group and would be happy to post these for you if you want to give me contact info to pass along. 

Thank you, Andy!  I stopped by the Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum today but the guys are not in until tomorrow (9-1) and I won't be able to get back (work calls).  My brother may be going out to see if he can get some info on the tools as well.  I also located a Champion #400 forge setup (looks complete) up at Mom's and she would like to sell it also.  Would be really cool if someone could use the entire "kit".  

If it is not too much trouble to do on the FB page I know Mom would be very thankful.  I can get pictures of the forge setup as well.

Thank you again, Andy; very cool of you!

The forge seemed conspicuously absent! Just give me a phone number or email address you're comfortable giving out to potential buyers and I'm happy to post (especially with a forge picture), I'd expect you could clear $1000-1250 pretty easily for the lot and still give somebody a good deal. 

[Edit: I've taken blacksmithing classes at the Vista Antique Gas and Steam Engine museum, definitely a great bunch over there!]

The missing forge info goes to show how ignorant I really am about this stuff!  I have a couple of guys interested (for which I am very thankful.  I have been passing this info on to Mom-who has never been online and doesn't really understand the internet-and she cannot believe how helpful "strangers" are.  She keeps telling me to thank everyone!) and once I get the info back form the museum today I hope to have a better knowledge and ability to price.  I want the best for Mom but also a fair shake for the buyer.

Thank you again, Andy; I promise to let you know if one of the guys looking buy this or if it sounds like something to post on FB (and thank you again for offering that up!).