Wintyfresh

Neck Brace Study

Wow! That is some great data. Thanks for sharing Andy. I guess I should count myself pretty lucky after all these years of racing / riding without wearing one...

It simply is vanity thing: people think it looks goofy. It does, but so does a wheel chair. I don’t even think about mine, not an issue after two rides .

Bags

5 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

It simply is vanity thing: people think it looks goofy. It does, but so does a wheel chair. I don’t even think about mine, not an issue after two rides .

Bags

Agreed used couple times in desert and worked ok, single track where head going up and down constantly no go

I've been wearing one for several years and it was very uncomfortable until I got the chest protector that was designed to work with it.  It doesn't bother me at all now and I always wear it.   Thanks for sharing the study.  

Hah. I just got on here to share the same study. 

Well compiled data in easy to read formats. If I ever go riding again I'll bring the neck piece along.

Eye opening.

What type/brand/style of neck brace are you guys using?

I think I will be looking at them now. I know nothing about them. I've heard that Leatt is a good one. True?

I use the Zacspeed Exotec chest protector - backpack combo so it would have to work with that. zac_17_exo_roo_def_wit_spr_pak.jpg

I contacted the Zacspeed guys (from Australia), they are very good with customer service and they said that they use an early model Leatt and it works OK. They also mentioned that the Omega brace does not. Any additional real world feedback is appreciated.

Amgems,  

Try mine next time we ride to check fit.  I noticed Leatt has adjusted the design somewhat. Mine is invisible to me and well made. The rear plank is adjustable for proper fit.

Bags

Good that there is actually a study with some scientific method. 

Not to change the direction but also for all of us, think about the before the crash thought process--- cause and effect.

Proper riding position and Training play a major role in crash prevention as well as, thought process and understanding your physical and mental limits are part of training.

properly maintained machinery can play into the cause as well.

Mostly with no data to prove the causal effects I would go out on a limb and say "riding over one's head" especially on an MX track is probably a major cause of wrecks gone bad. Example, Watch SX on Saturday and go hit some doubles on Sunday......easy peasy my bike is like Marvin's I can do that.

I have an earlier model Leatt GPX brace with blue graphics on it if anyone thinks they may want it, make offers. PM

2 hours ago, robertaccio said:

I have an earlier model Leatt GPX brace with blue graphics on it if anyone thinks they may want it, make offers. PM

pm sent