paulmbowers

My SPOT Renewal

I've been running both a SPOT AND a InReach for a couple years now. I'd started with SPOT, gave the InReach a try and liked it, too. I kept the SPOT as a redundancy (see CiD's SOS Adventure) but this year the posted (auto) renewal rate was $250. I called them and told them to pull the plug.

They hemmed and hawed a bit and offered to drop the rate to $100 (!). I balked and they made a final offer of $85/year.

That's right- it was $250/year and became $85.

I took the deal. 

I’m interested to see how that goes for me with the Spot-X.  I’m not big into riding technology, only bought it for my Alaska journey.  Guess I will see next year.

On 11/23/2018 at 1:41 PM, paulmbowers said:

I've been running both a SPOT AND a InReach for a couple years now. I'd started with SPOT, gave the InReach a try and liked it, too. I kept the SPOT as a redundancy (see CiD's SOS Adventure) but this year the posted (auto) renewal rate was $250. I called them and told them to pull the plug.

They hemmed and hawed a bit and offered to drop the rate to $100 (!). I balked and they made a final offer of $85/year.

That's right- it was $250/year and became $85.

I took the deal. 

My wife does a similar drill with Sirius Radio each year.  I don't even know what the rack rate is for renewal with them because Barb never pays it.  They keep lowering the price until she says ok, we'll keep it for another year. I think she gets it for about half price or so.

But ya gotta call.

Funny thing, she does the same with our TV provider as well.  They always lower the price and improve the package.

55 minutes ago, Zubb said:

My wife does a similar drill with Sirius Radio each year.  I don't even know what the rack rate is for renewal with them because Barb never pays it.  They keep lowering the price until she says ok, we'll keep it for another year. I think she gets it for about half price or so.

But ya gotta call.

Funny thing, she does the same with our TV provider as well.  They always lower the price and improve the package.

I think I want to take Barb with me to negotiate my next bike and truck purchases...;)

1 hour ago, Zubb said:

But ya gotta call.

Sirius/XM is the worst for this kind of nonsense. I have 5 subscriptions, all mapped out on my calendars, and I make the same calls. Each time, the want to renew for eleventy-billion dollars for the next year, and each time I negotiate something significantly cheaper- like 25% of the original price.

It's a pain, but I've started getting good rates for a year at a time, so fewer phone calls.

While I enjoy the good rates, I think this is a predatory practice. I'm colledge edumacated and I speek as gud as I sing, so I have advantages. 

Did that with Sprint and cut it by 30% even received a better package. I wish I could get a new package...maybe I could get a Klim large bladder? 

Here's an update:

Same thing this year- called, explained I was dropping the service unless they could match the $85/year including the insurance.

They did- but gave me a stern talking-to that next year they wouldn't honor the same rate.

I'm visibly shaken 😀

I just rec'd notice that my renewal is $210 in December...…..I think I'll just let it go...….time to open the box I bought several months ago and learn all about Garmin InReach/Subscription plans....

2 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

I just rec'd notice that my renewal is $210 in December...…..I think I'll just let it go...….time to open the box I bought several months ago and learn all about Garmin InReach/Subscription plans....

Yeah, I use the SPOT as redundancy- I also have the InReach.

30 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Yeah, I use the SPOT as redundancy- I also have the InReach.

Not to be rude but why?

10 minutes ago, PbdBlue said:

Not to be rude but why?

Not rude.

Just overkill. They use different satellite systems.

I’ve been keeping both also. For me the Spot is just easy and fits in my pocket of my riding pants. I use the Delorme for texting my wife when out of cell coverage.

10 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Not rude.

Just overkill. They use different satellite systems.

I've never had an issue using Inreach. Iridium network is pretty solid.

1 minute ago, PbdBlue said:

I've never had an issue using Inreach. Iridium network is pretty solid. 

I understand.

2 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

I understand.

I get it. If it makes you comfortable then by all means...