ADV Bum

Bike Tech day Escondido - Sat Dec 22

DSM8 has graciously offered to host a bike tech day at his house in Escondido on Sat Dec 22. This is an event so that people can do maintenance on their bikes with the help and direction of their peers who are more experienced or for those who have just been procrastinating and looking for a reason to do something. Also a good excuse to meet other members and socialize!

Waste oil can be collected and held on site. Please bring the tools and parts needed to work on your project. 

We will have a BBQ going with non- alcoholic beverages provided. If you wish to bring something to share at the lunch that would be great.

DSM8 did not specify a time so I will let him chime in on what would work for him.

Please chime in if you are coming and if you will be bringing something.

The location would be 925 Chardonney Way,  Escondido 92029

Well i would say the gates open at 830

pet friendly house but there will be an open gate so if its a runner might want to leave em at home

DSM8....it's your home, but might it be better to do after the new year ? 

Many people might be too busy 3 days before Christmas.

Just sharing input.

It's up to you Dave.

If enough people post up this date not working for them will move to January based on other thread this sounded like it would work let the masses decide

OK, sounds good. Everyone please post up if you can make it on the 22nd.

My son will be home, but he might be interested in a ride.  I’m a definite maybe.  I will look for my KLR shims.

1) I'm in (if the date still stands)

2)do you think a couple BMW fork seals is beyond the scope of the day?  who knows . . . could turn into another real money maker for the site based on the last one.

If that is Dan's old bike they were already replaced if you are going to replace them again GET ALL THE PARTS DAMMIT!!

If you have them I can do them if you don't we keep your bike and you walk home.

So the answer is yes, but the outcome of that day is entirely up to you.

:lol:

You should save that for your garage.  I know how working on your bike goes, and I would hate to see it stuck up in North County for a week and have to ride you back to La Mesa as my bitch pillion.

15 minutes ago, tntmo said:

You should save that for your garage.  I know how working on your bike goes, and I would hate to see it stuck up in North County for a week and have to ride you back to La Mesa as my bitch pillion.

Translation:

DO IT, if the above happens it will be good for a laugh and we will all enjoy it at your expense.

1 hour ago, DSM8 said:

Translation:

DO IT, if the above happens it will be good for a laugh and we will all enjoy it at your expense.

Ok, I have officially volunteered to give Kelly a ride back to his house after this repair doesn't get completed! 

So, as a Task Concept: meet to adjust your clutch, not replace your clutch. Adjust the carburetor not convert to fuel injection. Change a tire or chain. Troubleshoot a light switch. 

I am trying to be onsite with a map or two to review routes. About as much as I am qualified for. 

Bags

I can't confirm 100% yet, but as of now, I am planning to stop by and meet some of you.

I don't need any garage space. I would be a voyeur.

• Like 1

I am in and will change two tires on the 1150. I think you had a bead breaker? right?

18 hours ago, DSM8 said:

If that is Dan's old bike they were already replaced if you are going to replace them again GET ALL THE PARTS DAMMIT!!

If you have them I can do them if you don't we keep your bike and you walk home.

So the answer is yes, but the outcome of that day is entirely up to you.

Have had the parts in my hot little hands for awhile now.  I think you purposely sabotaged the install when Dan owned the bike just so I'd come back and put more money in the jar at the next tech day.

I'll likely do the fork seals at home. It's pretty simple on the big BMW's.  But I'll still come to the tech day.  Maybe you can help me change the air in the tires, or show me how to clean and lube the chain.:o

15 hours ago, tntmo said:

Ok, I have officially volunteered to give Kelly a ride back to his house after this repair doesn't get completed! 

No Tom.  We're going to Stone Brewing.

1 minute ago, Zubb said:

No Tom.  We're going to Stone Brewing.

Drinks first.....I like where this is going!

3 hours ago, Zubb said:

Have had the parts in my hot little hands for awhile now.  I think you purposely sabotaged the install when Dan owned the bike just so I'd come back and put more money in the jar at the next tech day.

I'll likely do the fork seals at home. It's pretty simple on the big BMW's.  But I'll still come to the tech day.  Maybe you can help me change the air in the tires, or show me how to clean and lube the chain.:o

He did not have all new parts only the seals, had to reuse the original wipers and retaining clips etc.

They may have been compromised,

You should not have to replace the oil that was changed in both forks as well, just make sure they are about the same level.

Top off with 10wt if you need to, that is what I used.

FYI there will be covered parking for those that decide to ride and not want to work on their bikes in case it rains or such, also the whole hang out and workshop are also out of the weather. Just in case there is a delicate type that might come to the party and was afraid of being in the sun/rain/wind while hanging out.