Grimlock

KLaiRemont

Hi guys, got a 2000 KLR and am in the Clairemont neighborhood.  Relatively new to the area by way of the Black Hills of Wyoming -- kinda between Devils Tower and Sturgis.

Done mostly fire road and trail-type riding with some occasional two track-type stuff.  Probably put the most miles on doing road trips though: San Diego to Seattle, Black Hills to Chicago, etc.

Friend in the area that rides a V-Strom recommended Corral Canyon and Anza Borrego -- which should I check out first?

Welcome Grimlock, there’s some closer areas to get your feet wet on some dirt.

Ramona has some fun truck trails, also Otay Mountain is fairly close. Post up when you wanna go and you’ll probably have someone to show you around. Beware of Corral Canyon on the weekends, gets pretty crowded.

Welcome Grimlock.

I am new to the forum too. The Otay Mountain Truck Trail can get busy on the weekends too. There are lots of blind turns and folks that drive faster than they should. Sometimes you can pick up a dust trail coming your way so you can prepare for the inbound traffic.

Hope to see you on the trails and ride safe,

Erik

Nice area that you're from, I was out near there this summer.  Your KLR will do fine on almost anything, Anza Borrego is huge so get a map and check it out.  Corral Canyon is doable on a KLR, but some of it is pretty challenging and the KLR won't be the best bike for it.  It really depends on the rider and your expectations.

Welcome to the group, see you on the trail.

Welcome to SDAR.

Don't ride like BikeSlut.

Oh. :(

Ok. Don't ride like Bagstr.

Welcome grimlock! Hope to see you out on the trail soon! 

Guest Jdawg

I’m a noob to this forum and I reside in the kingdom of Clairemont as well.  North Clairemont near the Town Square to be precise.

Let me know if you wanna meetup sometime.  I’m pretty well versed in taking creampuff (my fattie) on fire roads and places that she has no business being.  Though as of late I have been exploring more pavement and mild off-road trails. Hard getting around all of that blubber when the going gets sketchy. 

Cheers,

JDawg

P.S. You can send me a PM if you want, as I don’t always sign on everyday.