erik_26

Checking in

Hello all,

I am new to the form and just getting back into riding after a very long, almost 20-year break. I have a 2006 Yamaha TW200 for single track adventures and a 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere for just about anything else.

I am a slow rider and am still trying to get my confidence back on a larger heavier bike after not riding for so long. 

Anyways, I am in Chula Vista. Late 30's. Male. I am looking forward to meeting some new friends and going on some adventures. 

hi erik, a few of us will be riding, camping at butterfield ranch/ amza borrego desert state park..weekend of Nov 30...  few of us will do a leisurely ride, nothing crazy technical  saturday Dec 1.. start 930 ish...... call me or just come on out... 8583950258

Welcome Erik.  Look for noob rides posted occasionally on the forum.  (Should be really good on Friday after the rain runs through).

Hi, I have a Ténéré as well...it will take ya wherever you wanna go!  Several of us are also in our late 30’s, like 20 years late.

Welcome to the group, see ya on the trail.

Hi Erik! I’ve got a new-to-me heavy adventure bike similar to your Tenere (2009 BMW R1200GSA) and I’m also just getting back into riding after a long hiatus. I’ve been poking around the local mountain roads on my own most Sunday mornings and I’m looking to start pointing the front tire at some dirt fire roads and such. I was just eyeing the Minnewawa Truck Trail up to the top of Otay Mountain in your neck of the woods. I grew up in Bonita, so that’s my old backyard. 

Taking some slow rides on easy dirt sounds great. I’ve been keeping my eye out for an upcoming noob ride to meet folks and compare notes about trails, tires, maps, etc. My eventual goal is to be comfortable enough to do some 2-up moto-camping with my wife. 

Looking forward to riding with you!

Brad

Tom Harrison San Diego Back Country maps - A-16 or REI.

Will provide plenty of ideas,

9 hours ago, bradwill said:

Hi Erik! I’ve got a new-to-me heavy adventure bike similar to your Tenere (2009 BMW R1200GSA) and I’m also just getting back into riding after a long hiatus. I’ve been poking around the local mountain roads on my own most Sunday mornings and I’m looking to start pointing the front tire at some dirt fire roads and such. I was just eyeing the Minnewawa Truck Trail up to the top of Otay Mountain in your neck of the woods. I grew up in Bonita, so that’s my old backyard. 

Taking some slow rides on easy dirt sounds great. I’ve been keeping my eye out for an upcoming noob ride to meet folks and compare notes about trails, tires, maps, etc. My eventual goal is to be comfortable enough to do some 2-up moto-camping with my wife. 

Looking forward to riding with you!

Brad

Hi Brad,

I have been all over the Otay Mesa Truck trail, in my truck, 4Runner and my TW200. I want to take my Tenere up there, I am a little concerned about my tires though. I think they are 10/90, in favor of road. So I don't know how they will do on the packed fire road.

I will say, I have been riding and practicing with my bike, when I can, and I am starting to get it back. My low speed turns are getting tighter, I am moving my body more to counter balance and I am gaining confidence feathering the clutch. I haven't ridden much standing up on the pegs though. Very short bursts of doing that over speed bumps and in parking lots, so I have a ways to go on that front. 

I am very open to giving the Otay Truck Trail a go, and or, just going on a ride to wherever. I pretty much ride by myself, out to the Airport, passed the Midway, out and around Coronado or HWY 94 out to Campo. 

I too am eyeing some noob rides. DSFOX is setting up a ride on this Saturday. I am very interested in going to that. I just camp overnight and I am not sure what bike to bring.

Hope to ride with you soon,

Erik

Tntmo use to take his supermoto up there said its similar traction. Even with knobbies the loose gravel is slippery 

Yeah, Otay is kind of slippery no matter what you ride.  I have taken my Ténéré up there several times as well.  Let me know when you want to go.