darylhunter

FCC proposed fine to Baofeng / Amcrest

Was looking through recent FCC fines and notice one for Amcrest / Baofeng Radio.

Related to the UV-5R, UV-5RA, UV-5RE, and UV-5R V2+.

The UV-5R V2+ is capable of operating on restricted frequencies outside the scope of its authorization.

The company can be fined up to $19,639 for each volition and each day of a continuing violation, and up to $147,290 for any single violation.  The Commission may impose further forfeitures if the company doesn't clean up its act.

Doesn't mean that they're going to hunt down current users, but new radios and parts / support may be harder to come by in the future.

1 hour ago, SoCalMule said:

Mine receives the CIA channel :huh: 

I sing “Secret AGENT Man”.

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

I sing “Secret AGENT Man”.

"They've given you a number and taken away your name "

Don't know about my current Yeasu VX radios, but my older Kenwood dual band radio could be made to operate outside the ham bands.  There were instructions available that said don't remove this 0 ohm resistor here and here or operation outside ham bands may be possible.

Of course that's the first thing most people did - though I think mainly it was to open up the receiver tuning, not tx outside the band.

Well in that case he intentionally transmitted for the purposes of an emergency. Illegal yes but in a life or death situation I'd do the same. Most public agencies moved to trunking and UHF years ago. That said almost every frequency that Rugged provides in their pre-programmed radios is technically illegal to use without a commercial license. I find it interesting that nowhere do they disclose that when you buy their equipment. Also illegal is transmitting in the ham band without an amateur license or not identifying yourself with your callsign as required. The ham guys are much more protective of their band than the FCC is about the commercial vhf band (as long as your not interferring with a legal user).

If my riding buddies are more than 1-2 miles away, I can't hear them; if they are in a deep canyon a few turns away, reception is scratchy. Don't feel that we are "stepping on anyone's toes" as it were using these race radios. IMHO, I'm not too sure if my radio could make a call out to a sheriff even if I was bleeding out. 

8 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

If my riding buddies are more than 1-2 miles away, I can't hear them; if they are in a deep canyon a few turns away, reception is scratchy. Don't feel that we are "stepping on anyone's toes" as it were using these race radios. IMHO, I'm not too sure if my radio could make a call out to a sheriff even if I was bleeding out. 

Exactly. With HT in a highly mobile environment the range is limited and your chances of interfering with anyone are pretty slim. Now go to Glamis on a big weekend for example where 1000's are using Rugged's 50 watt mobile setup in a relatively small area and sooner or later they are more likely to get some attention. Frankly I've been amazed that Rugged has been getting away with this. Surely the race teams can't be happy that RR is supplying radios to the general public with their frequencies pre-programmed in? Well anyway bottom line is that technically all this is illegal but from a practical standpoint an ht on a dirtbike doesn't pose much risk.

On the PCI Race Radios https://www.pciraceradios.com/ website they say you can obtain a licence for $345 https://fcclicense.org/fit/. My guess is, that, this is a business band licence. If anyone was concerned about illegal use of the radio in the amateur bands, that might be an option.

PCI has some very nice products. I use their perch mount PTT https://www.pciraceradios.com/collections/motorcycle-quad/products/motorcycle-ptt-bolt-on-race

Although limited to 2 watts, are the MURS frequencies on VHF a decent option? No license is required..

28 minutes ago, amgems said:

I used a mirror mount. I think it was from a Honda?

Got it, thanks. :good: