I've been wanting to get back to Colorado since Kug lead a trip there a couple of years ago. So when a window opened up in my schedule I put out some feelers and Tracy and my friend

Steve were available. Bagstr's daughter happens to live right about where the dirt starts on the route so we loaded up the truck and headed for Colorado.

We timed the date perfect for the changing of the colors.

P1110354.jpg

P1110371.jpg

Anybody that has been on a multi day ride with me knows what this is, but I did end up bringing it home with me when my bike tipped over when I was taking a picture.

Tough crowd.

Steve being awarded the bunny.

P1110383.jpg

P1110395.jpg

This is the trail up to Ophir Pass. There is a post on the COBDR web site saying it’s impassable for big bikes but we breezed right up it.

P1110397.jpg

P1110402.jpg

The views just kept getting better.

P1110409.jpg

We rode a few passes on the trip. Some are not a part of the BDR but there were a few closures and we did another that Tracy and I hadn't ridden before.

P1110417.jpg

P1110419.jpg

P1110420.jpg

P1110421.jpg

P1110422.jpg

P1110426.jpg

Tracy picked up a nail and I offered my usual support. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise because it put us behind schedule a little.

P1110431.jpg

So we decided to spend the night at the Pitkin Hotel If you're ever in Pitkin I can't recommend this place enough. Great people run it. They don't have a liquor license

so they can't sell drinks so they have an open bar and drinks are free! We made a unanimous decision right there to cancel the rest of the ride and just stay there the rest

of the week. If you look closely at the bottom left glass panel in the bottom right corner of it is the Kug. 

P1110432.jpg

The blessing in disguise was not the free drinks or soft bed, but the info from the owners that the BDR route over the pass was still closed for road work so they told

us about another pass that would get us to where we needed to be. They said they would not have sent us on this route if we had been on big bikes. Hancock Pass

turned out to be the hardest riding we did on the whole trip but wasn't to hard on the 500's.

P1110435.jpg

P1110444.jpg

P1110446.jpg

P1110447.jpg

More passes

P1110455.jpg

P1110461.jpg

Tracy picked up another flat and I was there to give him encouragement. He defiantly needed some at this point.

P1110463.jpg

P1110474.jpg

The Kug was always with us in spirit to show us the way.

P1110478.jpg

The weather was starting to turn with a storm heading our way so we finished in Wyoming and turned tail and headed back to the truck.

I've done a lot of these BDR's and most seem to start out with the best stuff at the bottom. I think if I was to do this again I'd combine the bottom of Utah and the bottom

of Colorado into one ride and skip the top of both. That would make for a truly great week.

Covered in Miles

OMG, Tracy got two flats? Both rears. Good thing you were there to supervise. :heh:

11 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

How did the Subframe hold up to your load??

Held up fine, not a lot of weight in that rear bag. I brought my big sleeping bag because I knew it would be cold st night and it was. We slept at 10K the 1st night on the trail and it got pretty cold. I’m going to try and lighten my packing next trip, but the more of these rides I do the more I like comfort in camp. Chair, table, warm sleeping bag, bigger tent, evening cocktails ect...

missed you and Ken on the ride. 

Very cool pics (one day I will learn how to put in multiple pics with text!)!  That is the kind of riding I am looking forward to doing more of; very cool!

Great write up as usual . Pics also -best time of the year. !

Every time I go to Colorado I spend time with my family.  I need to say the hell with them and go do more of this.  Looks like a great time.

Well done CID, and great to see Fall colors as that must be a heck of a treat zipping through them on a bike! , and you got a little more challenging route thrown in.  What a great time to cruise the COBDR.  Good idea!!

You've always had quite the eye CID

Looked like a great trip, did tracy have a magnetic rim...?

Evidently the Snow Level is 9k and dropping as I speak.

Thanks for the report and photos. Glad it all worked for the team.

39 minutes ago, Wierdrider said:

Great trip👍👍

Did you rejet the bikes for this trip?

My bike is fuel injected so no issues there. The 525’s didn’t do any rejetting but I don’t think either had any issues with the altitudes. The last time I rode here I was on my 06 525 and I might have lost a little hp at the high altitudes but it was barely noticeable.

CiD

• Like 1

Nice stuff !, There is a reason they call them the "Rocky" Mountains. Tracy looks so very grateful for your help.

What sprocket combo were you running on this trip Chris?

27 minutes ago, amgems said:

Nice stuff !, There is a reason they call them the "Rocky" Mountains.

49 minutes ago, amgems said:

Nice stuff !, There is a reason they call them the "Rocky" Mountains. Tracy looks so very grateful for your help.

What sprocket combo were you running on this trip Chris?

14/48