tntmo

San Diego to Colorado Springs: Iron Butt style

Last week my sister let me know she was going to be the “Hometown Hero” at the Avalanche hockey game.  Hometown Hero is a program where they honor military members for their service, my sister served  in the Navy from 1981-1992.  I really wanted to be there to support her.  

I worked hard to convince my wife and she gave in Sunday night.  I packed up the bike Monday morning and left about 1000 up I-15.  I had figured to get past St George and camp....but I was making good time and felt good so I kept going.  

Pretty soon I had 800 miles done, then 900....might as well keep moving.  Just under 1200 total in 22 hours.  The tent and sleeping bag stayed in the pannier.

The hockey game was fun, awesome to be there to support my sister.  The first NHL game I have been to, what a way to go!

I left Colorado Springs 0800 on Friday morning.  No traffic, clear skies, heading down I-25 to I-40 everything was coming together.  I already knew that I could do it, but could I do it quicker?  Through Flagstaff, Phoenix, Gila Bend....home!  

1232 miles, 17 hours, 42 minutes.  

Riding long distance in 24 hours is interesting.  Time management, fuel mileage calculation, food and drink, etc.   This was my first “Iron Butt” style ride.  Not something that I want to do every ride but good to know that I can.

C283E9F7-424C-4AEB-8E30-8F3063EDE258.jpeg

92E0BC28-0EAE-406B-8A32-46A21C772EED.jpeg

5CF38BE9-2B28-4A4B-89C5-526CF7EB4263.jpeg

9EA830CF-9684-4963-99C6-A4C078571767.jpeg

93216C87-0D77-414E-AF0B-908C650ED4F6.jpeg

043450D6-1517-4677-8FB2-71475730080B.jpeg

623AD44D-734A-4B97-AF83-CF6C120B62C1.jpeg

• Like 1

:thumbsup_anim:. My longest day on a bike has been in the 500 mile range...and I was hurting...I'm not sure how you do 1200 miles without destroying your arse and back.

24 minutes ago, Oracle said:

:thumbsup_anim:. My longest day on a bike has been in the 500 mile range...and I was hurting...I'm not sure how you do 1200 miles without destroying your arse and back.

Super Tenere is, well.....super!  

My back and ass are fine, but I really should get an aftermarket seat.  Why haven't I got one yet??  My wrists and hands are the worst part after the trip.  I thought the bars were pretty comfortable, but after 12 hours straight they sure aren't.  

That type of dedication could probably be summed up with only one word... Family.  Awesome.

Way to go Tom. When  I did my Iron Butt it was my neck the hurt the must from the weight of my helmet. After I did it, I said well check that off. But know I want to do the next one. Thinking about Boarder to Boarder, Mexico to Canada 36 hr. 

Sorry Gents,

If you think watching an odometer roll is the definition of a good motorcycle ride;  I would rather sit in my garage and watch a clock tick.  

Bagstr

1 hour ago, Bagstr said:

Sorry Gents,

If you think watching an odometer roll is the definition of a good motorcycle ride;  I would rather sit in my garage and watch a clock tick.  

Bagstr

It’s not my favorite thing to do, just another interesting aspect of motorcycle riding.  I much prefer to take my time and see the sights, but this is a challenge just like riding difficult single track or clearing a big jump on the track or getting a knee down in a decreasing radius curve.  

Lots of different ways to expand your motorcycle horizons and we all have different preferences.  I didn’t leave San Diego for Colorado thinking about doing this, but I did it and am glad to have challenged myself.  Not sure if/when I will do it again.

If it’s on two wheels, it’s probably good.  Have fun out there no matter how you define it!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

That's a helluva push! 18hrs is brutal. That great you made it out for family.

On 10/6/2018 at 6:40 PM, tntmo said:

Super Tenere is, well.....super!  

My back and ass are fine, but I really should get an aftermarket seat.  Why haven't I got one yet??  My wrists and hands are the worst part after the trip.  I thought the bars were pretty comfortable, but after 12 hours straight they sure aren't.  

Get a cheep "CruiseControll" It helps.

59 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Get a cheep "CruiseControll" It helps.

I have the Kaoko throttle lock.  I have some carpal tunnel issues so it’s just par for the course.

I've done a couple 1,000 milers at around 18 hours each.  I think the key is to have the bike set up to fit you well and help keep you in a proper riding position.  Your bike probably fits you well. My old 850R worked well for this, and my ST2 was the best ever as I did quite a few 800 mile days without feeling bad at all.  

It's great knowing you can do it without too much problem as it opens up options for planning other trips.  For example my son (in Seattle) and I can each do about 800 miles toward each other, then ride together for 2 or 3 days and come home, all in a 4 or5 day weekend.  

You're the man Tom!

15 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Reading thru old reports and BUMPing this cause @tntmo is the man!

ain't no question about that!  Some folks plan for months and months to work out routes and stops and POI's and make a pretty big deal out of "epic" rides.  Which is a LOT of fun of course.  Tom's the kind of guy that might just grab a jacket, turn the key and end up in Minnesota.  On a scooter even.  🤩

• Like 2

I had sort of forgotten about this.  I had zero plans to ride through on the way there.  It just organically happened.  I remember that I surprised my sister because I got there so early, I also thought the game was a day earlier than it really was!

Anyway, just like I said before it’s not the best way or only way to ride but it’s one of the ways!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With your new FAST honda when will we see a Border 2 Border Tijuana  to Abbotsford ride??

The SDAR community and Tinkering Tom fans want to know!

1 hour ago, Goofy Footer said:

With your new FAST honda when will we see a Border 2 Border Tijuana  to Abbotsford ride??

The SDAR community and Tinkering Tom fans want to know!

That bike has 3,000 miles on it total in the last 50 years.  I guess I could try it….

14 minutes ago, Uncle Champ said:

Good job, now ride to N Idaho, accommodation's

available

Thanks, will put in the effort to make it happen!