Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

Torque adapters, dog bones

ctgm112ta__97115.png

I need one of these torque adapters, sometimes known as a dog bone, in 11mm.  If anyone has one I could borrow for one day, I can give you a warm handshake, warm hug or a warm beer for it. 

Otherwise, can someone point me in the direction of a local store that carries them?  I tried the basic stuff like Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Auto Zone, etc.  They all have crows foot adapters, but that won't work because this is a twelve point nut for a cylinder head.  

Thanks in advance!  

If you check duometric sizes I believe 11 mm is equal to 7/16" if memory serves me correctly and Grainger carries a complete set in 12 point of Proto or you can get individuals through them as well.  I had the complete set before the Cedar Fire, funny how fire ruins tools.  That or you can get raped at a tool truck that might have them on hand.  The Proto ones are about $20 a piece depending on size.  I hope this helps.  If you need to go the tool truck route then check early in the morning around any area that has shops, they make the rounds early.  The Snap On guy stops in my area on Mondays around noon.

Now that is a funny tool.

What is it for? How tight are you going with it?

Your always wrenching on something :good:

Try Marshall’s Hardware out  off Miramar Rd. I generally make my own. Take a box wrench, cut it to length and weld a socket to it. I have several that I’ve made but I don’t think 11mm is one of them. On the road still for another two weeks so not able to check for sure. 

9 hours ago, 97xr400r said:

Now that is a funny tool.

What is it for? How tight are you going with it?

Your always wrenching on something :good:

It’s for torque application to a bolt or nut that a socket can’t reach, usually because it’s in a small area.  In this case it’s for a cylinder head stud on a Yamaha Rhino, torque up to 48 lb/ft.  When using one, you have to do a mathematical formula to calculate the torque because it adds length to the torque wrench.   Mechanics need to learn math!!

I considered making one, but only have a 110v welder and I’m not amazing at using it.  If I don’t find one locally then I’m going to try to put one together.

On 9/29/2018 at 7:03 AM, tntmo said:

It’s for torque application to a bolt or nut that a socket can’t reach, usually because it’s in a small area.  In this case it’s for a cylinder head stud on a Yamaha Rhino, torque up to 48 lb/ft.  When using one, you have to do a mathematical formula to calculate the torque because it adds length to the torque wrench.   Mechanics need to learn math!!

I considered making one, but only have a 110v welder and I’m not amazing at using it.  If I don’t find one locally then I’m going to try to put one together.

Wish I had one for you.

Now, when I start hearing that the Yamaha Rhino has head gasket issues I'll know why... most hacks wouldn't go through the trouble of hunting down such a tool. " Touque... that's just a reference " :rolleyes:

Good on ya for doing it right!

I just spent way too much on a tool I'll only use once. It stung to fork over the dough but I knew I would regret taking to a shop and pay them to miss the mark. (Previous owner had it done 3k ago! $1500 bill!!) BTW, If you need a Toyota Tacoma axle bearing and tone ring puller I got you covered

2 hours ago, 97xr400r said:

Wish I had one for you.

Now, when I start hearing that the Yamaha Rhino has head gasket issues I'll know why... most hacks wouldn't go through the trouble of hunting down such a tool. " Touque... that's just a reference " :rolleyes:

I’m blaming the last guy that did it for sure.     It was me.  😂

I definitely didn’t use the torque adapter, but I also reused the head bolts. They are one time use.  Live/learn!