Covered in Dust

Jump starter

Have you tried it yet?  I have been considering one of these, and not sure which one to buy.   I know they are all made in China, so.....

19 minutes ago, TexasDualler said:

Good for “3000 circles”. Must be quality. 

Maybe they sell most of them to Nascar drivers.....

Wildwood gave me one ( don't know the brand ), didn't use it forever, one day the diesel tractor wouldn't start, I thought "not a chance " . Just for fun checked the voltage on jumper and it was 11.75 volts, still started the tractor, amazing. Get one ,I may forget mine one day.

Yup agreed awesome i just have the small costco one works great using it as we speak to charge phone while beach camping.

On 9/17/2018 at 1:48 PM, tntmo said:

Have you tried it yet?  I have been considering one of these, and not sure which one to buy.   I know they are all made in China, so.....

I have not tried the new one yet. I’ll Give it a whirl tomorrow on my Ranger SXS and then a dead lawn tractor I have. Batteries are good on everything else. It is exactly the same size and inputs and exports as the Micro Start at 1/4 the price. I used the Micro Start to start my Tundra once and my Lexus also. Plus used it to recharge my phone and iPad many times.

A quarter of the price of a Microstart, which is one of the top brands.

How long will this cheap model last ?

In my opinion, you often get what you pay for. You ever wonder why it's so cheap ?  Probably good for a few times, then you toss it...as is with many electronic devices and other items.

26 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

A quarter of the price of a Microstart, which is one of the top brands.

How long will this cheap model last ?

In my opinion, you often get what you pay for. You ever wonder why it's so cheap ?  Probably good for a few times, then you toss it...as is with many electronic devices and other items.

Yes this is why I stated that it looks identical to the Microstart I already have. I would guess that both items are made in the same factory.

Well, not trying to argue... all I know is there are MANY copies of products that look identical to an original manufacturer, yet they are made elsewhere and in different countries.

It doesn't take much to copy a product.

13 hours ago, KTMrad said:

Well, not trying to argue... all I know is there are MANY copies of products that look identical to an original manufacturer, yet they are made elsewhere and in different countries.

It doesn't take much to copy a product.

I agree. I just though at that price I’d give it a try. Not sure how long it will last. My Microstart kind of blew up trying to jump start my Corvette. I may have just tried to long but the whole thing just expanded to twice it’s normal size. Once it cooled down I kind of squished it back down to close to its normal size and recharged it and it seems to be still working. There are dozens of little Lithium batteries on the market now. The ones at Costco are probably a good buy. 

CiD

One of my favorite YouTube channels has a guy who on occasion takes apart quality (expensive) products and budget (cheap) products, and then compares them. 

Quite often, the budget products are garbage but more and more this guy is being impressed by either the improved robustness of the budget items or the cheap junk going into the quality ones.   Slapping a fancy sticker or name on something doesn't make it better.  

One of the great things about living in today's world is that we can usually find out pretty quick from peer reviews if something is worth buying.

True.

I research the hell out of things before I buy them, read reviews, etc.

I've had a cheap off brand for about 5 years.  Never fails to charge the phone, headset, iPad and yes, start the bike-Tahoe-Benz.  I keep thinking I should buy a "good" one, cause I don't want to be stranded out in the boonies.  But this one keeps on ticking.

On a whim, I'd trust about anything sold by Costco.

That costco unit looks pretty good. Are they all about the same size? Small size is probably most important to me. Seems like even the cheap ones will work for a few cycles anyway. Any idea what would be the min specs for a motorcycle? i see some are 200 amp start current some are 800?

Personally, my vote is for Kugel as the 4 Star Jump Starter!