Ken S

Shinko 525 cheater

Anyone try it. 

Looking for all around Desert, single track, fire road tire. 

I've been tire shopping lately as well.  I've looked at the Shinko's since I've heard such good things on here but am also unsure of which one.  Gonna keep my eye on this thread.

The best gripping tire I have rode on but weak side walls. I got about 125 miles at last years Big Bear ride

and tore a 3 in. long gash in the side wall. I will not use one again in shale rock conditions but for the Dez may work great.

Got one on the 200xcw and it works great on all kinds of trail conditions.  

Haven’t been to the desert yet. Seems like it would work just fine until it gets torn to shreds.  I think the stiffer sidewalks and harder rubber compounds really standout in these conditions.   I’m guessing the performance will be great but the tire will get beat up much sooner then it wears out in fast nasty desert terrain.  

21 hours ago, HM berg said:

The best gripping tire I have rode on but weak side walls. I got about 125 miles at last years Big Bear ride

and tore a 3 in. long gash in the side wall. I will not use one again in shale rock conditions but for the Dez may work great.

Thanks. Talked me out of it. I run tubliss at 4-6 psi. 

I love the Moto Z Exteme Hybrid but it does not seal well with the tubliss system. 

Probably go back to the Golden Tyre 333. Great tire but pricey. 

I've been using the 505 cheater on my 300 with the tubliss around 5psi. This tire works really good.

13 hours ago, Ptkatoomer said:

I've been using the 505 cheater on my 300 with the tubliss around 5psi. This tire works really good.

Has anyone riding "tubeless" had problems with loosing air from the tape covering the spokes?

Listening to Jeff, I am reminded of the type of riding he does.  300 Switchback in 50 miles, root, rocks etc. Also, he is running 5-6 lbs with the Tubliss system.  Not exactly an All-Around application.

4 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Listening to Jeff, I am reminded of the type of riding he does.  300 Switchback in 50 miles, root, rocks etc. Also, he is running 5-6 lbs with the Tubliss system.  Not exactly an All-Around application.

True. And the torque of a 500 plus some street might do it in pretty quick.

I’ve run the Maxxis Desert IT and Golden Tyre 333 tubliss no problem. 

MotoZ Hybrid Extreme does not seal well. Goes from 6psi to 2 psi in 1 day. 

Maxxis last 1000 or so miles. Ok traction. GT333 probably 600 miles of awesome awesome traction. 

I change my tires sooner than many riders do so you could almost double those miles if you’re not a tire - traction snob like me. 

Bummer ken i had good Luck sealing with regular motoz mtn hybrid with tubliss i also use 8oz of slime with every tire  change on tubliss.

Kenda has come out with a non-DOT new dirt tire that runs the same knob pattern as their DOT Parker DT,  only with a very sticky compound.  I really like the Parker DT, and if I wanted to sacrifice mileage, I would try one on my plated bike. 

8 hours ago, simicrintz said:

I never see anybody talking about running the Dunlop D606's; any particular reason?

606 last a long time but in my experience don’t work great on smaller bikes. Slippery on the street and just so so off road. I did

put one on my 950 se and it worked pretty good on the big bike but not as well at the Moto Z Tractionator.

Your experience may very.

CiD

Thanks CiD.  I've run them front and rear on my 650 and they do wear well.  I feel comfortable with them on the street but they do seem a bit squirrely in the dirt.  Just hard to switch out to something different and hope to get better results.  I know tire threads get beat to death and everybody has different opinions.  I really need to buy new tires and just don't want to make a mistake and regret it later.

32 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

Thanks CiD.  I've run them front and rear on my 650 and they do wear well.  I feel comfortable with them on the street but they do seem a bit squirrely in the dirt.  Just hard to switch out to something different and hope to get better results.  I know tire threads get beat to death and everybody has different opinions.  I really need to buy new tires and just don't want to make a mistake and regret it later.

I’m currently running this on the front. I like it better than the Goldentyre fatty, but both are good and last a long time.

http://motoz.com.au/product/tractionator-enduro-it/

98281D0A-29BD-45C7-B3A9-22BC5E6AFD25.jpeg

When I want a dot tire I’ll run this. I’ve run them on my 500 and did the IDBDR with one on my 950 and it was great although I did get a sidewalk cut somewhere on the ride but i didn’t notice it until I was home.

http://motoz.com.au/product/tractionator-desert-ht/

F587360E-BAD9-4AB3-BBBD-C3F782D2464C.jpeg

CiD