Sign in to follow this  
Dress4Less

Wyoming or Bust 8/20 - 9/1

Had a getaway to Pinedale, WY and surrounding areas(Big Piney, Daniel Junction, Cora, etc.)...GREAT trip...Joe Haulered the five-hundo up and back...here are a few pics...more to come...

Ride_1.JPG

Moose_Cabin_1.JPG

Pinedale and the Wind River Range are some seriously wild locations.  Many Grizzlies to go with the moose population.

Once camped in a tent on the Continental Divide Trail in the high country with two guys who liked to cook fresh meat on the fire.

Possibly it was that a fisherman had been attacked recently, but a restless nights sleep.  Up there they call tents, Bear Bait. Hard-sided trailers are the way to go!

How did you find out about the place? That is a Looong drive.

9 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Pinedale and the Wind River Range are some seriously wild locations.  Many Grizzlies to go with the moose population.

Once camped in a tent on the Continental Divide Trail in the high country with two guys who liked to cook fresh meat on the fire.

Possibly it was that a fisherman had been attacked recently, but a restless nights sleep.  Up there they call tents, Bear Bait. Hard-sided trailers are the way to go!

How did you find out about the place? That is a Looong drive.

You are SO right Bags...BIG, BEAUTIFUL country...

I attended the UofU in SLC. During the summers I would head north from SLC to the Big Piney/Pinedale area to work in the gas/oil fields. HARD, LONG work days but, super financial rewarding for a college kid. The same outfit took me back summer after summer. I actually met my wife of 36 years up there. She was on vacation from SoCal and I had a rare day off. Went to the Chuck Wagon Days Rodeo and met her there. We always joke that we both had to drive 950 miles(one way) to meet each other, when in reality, we went to high school an hour apart from each other in SoCal! Amazing how those things work. Anyway, we try to get back up there as often as we can.

Spent the first two days doing this...

Wood_3.JPG

Wood_1.JPG

Wood_2.JPG

You have a cabin up there? I bet the riding is insane.

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

You have a cabin up there? I bet the riding is insane.

LB - The riding is incredible as documented by Riggerdan's post on the site last month...I looked for some of his big bike tire tracks when I rode but, like the 1970's song by the band Kansas(yes, I'm giving away my age!), they are only "Dust in the Wind" now...especially the way he rides! Here are a few more pics...I am not a GPS guru like many of you guys...so, I just had to explore a little bit but, there is some good, fun shizz up there for sure...

Ride_12.JPG

Ride_9.JPG

Ride_4.JPG

Nice writeup and bike ! Thats some big country up their . 

11 hours ago, kkug said:

Nice writeup and bike ! Thats some big country up their . 

I get several compliments on the wheel weights Ken...;)

9 hours ago, simicrintz said:

I love Kansas!!

Bruce - Carry on Wayward Son...

I found this "oiled dirt road highway" north of Cora...somebody spends big money to maintain this puppy...miles and miles of it...until the dreaded NO TRESPASSING sign...Hundreds of Antelope up there...bucks had 14"'s on 'em...

The bridge has seen better days...

Found the Cattle "Backscratcher" out in the middle of BFE close to a watering hole

Ride_Big_Country_Road.JPG

Ride_Broken_Bridge.JPG

Cattle_Scratcher.JPG

5 hours ago, Dress4Less said:

Bruce - Carry on Wayward Son...

That entire album was great!

Got excited when I stopped in Kemmerer, WY on the way up...three trials bikes in the back of a truck! A Beta, a Gas-Gas and a Sherco. The guys were heading back to Idaho after a week in Eastern WY. They say they ride Baja every year and they all own KTM 350 EXC-F's. Small world...

A view of Freemont Lake. Some spots in the lake are 800' deep! Some big 'ol fish in there.

Fishing on the Lower Green River between Big Piney and La barge.

5b904f0253f85_Trials1.thumb.JPG.e757af4409dd026798e067e9d007a3b9.JPG

Lake_View_1.JPG

Fishing_2.JPG

" Lower Green River "   You mean down by Moab??

:D

14 hours ago, Bagstr said:

" Lower Green River "   You mean down by Moab??

:D

Not "that" low Bags...up in the Piney area, the Upper Green is north of the Warren Bridge...the lower Green is south of the Warren Bridge...;)

Got to splash through a few puddles up there...quite a bit smaller than the puddles that Riggah spalshed through on his trip up there...:o

Ride_Puddle_3.JPG

Ride_Puddle_2.JPG

Ride_Puddle_1.JPG

Old Dog Dress,

Can you tell us when the Forest Service closes the roads; first snow or thanksgiving or what?  Could be fun to grab my Bear Spray and explore the range and mountains.  Always in a group of three or more, right?  

Dreamer Bags

4 hours ago, Bagstr said:

https://www.recreation.gov/recreationalAreaDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&facilityId=202240

Yep, got it all up there.   These types of discussions are very inspirational.  Gives us some goals!!

That whole area in general, especially the upper green (north of Warren Bridge) is where the majority of the Rendezvous occurred between ~1820 - 1840. Fur (beaver, 4 legged not 2 ;)) trapping was at its height then.

1 hour ago, Bagstr said:

Old Dog Dress,

Can you tell us when the Forest Service closes the roads; first snow or thanksgiving or what?  Could be fun to grab my Bear Spray and explore the range and mountains.  Always in a group of three or more, right?  

Dreamer Bags

Bagger -

I don't think the Forest Service closes roads in that general area, however the BLM does. The BLM schedule up and down the La Barge through Pinedale area is basically close it all Jan 1 through Apr 30. You can certainly expect weather (some hardcore!) anytime after Sept 1 up there. More detailed information can be obtained from the BLM at 307-367-5300 in Pinedale. The road past the White Pine Ski Resort on the way to Elkhart get closed as well.

I have come across momma bears with cubs while traveling with groups of 2-3 people (packing heat) up there and was still nervous as all he//...:o Spray is good but, when momma is coming after you to protect her babies, the old pucker factor goes up exponentially! Momma usually sends the babies up a tree and then stands her ground. ;) You NEVER want the cubs to be between you and momma! Bears without cubs will generally spook away easier and quicker. Too add to the excitement, my friends in the area inform me that Grizzly have now moved that far SE out of Yellowstone...:unsure: 

Happy exploring!

Dog tired old dresser

On my last night up there I browsed through one of my favorite books...

Malcolm_Book.JPG