simicrintz

Tools, tubes and water

I see rides posted up often and always see "tools, tubes and water" afterward.  I know what water and tubes are, but what do you guys consider tools?  And how do you carry them?  I will admit that in all my years of riding I have never carried 2 of the three (I do carry water).  I'd like to be better prepared and since I am seeing quite a few new folks on here lately I thought I would ask so that we would all know.

For single track in Ogio wiast pack:

Ktm basic tool kit:includes 4 wrenches axle tool and torx/screw driver bits, multi tool, gorilla tape wrapped around a wrench couple feet of it, epoxy stick, couple Allen wrenches for random accessories on bike,  Zip ties, small thing bailing wire, rescue tape, plugs and manual air pump for rear tubliss

Dual sport I run same stuff but in wolfman day tripper saddlebags plus, small moto tow strap, enduro star stand, replacement chain link and masterlink, Israeli bandage, Sam splint, front 21" tube, maybe couple other little things I'm forgetting.

I carry more than most people, but I ride a big bike so what's a few extra pounds ? 

Almost the same but not quite as much as Brian.  

Plugs for tubliss. 

JB Quick weld. 

CO2 tire inflation system. 

21 in tube which will work in the rear tire as well. 

Tire irons. 

Basic KTM tool kit that came with my bike. 

3 extra bottles of water 

Giant loop bags. Don’t even know they’re there while riding. 

Used to cary all that in a backpack. 

Just wore me out. 

B103ED98-5EF7-4D78-8B23-C4B41BFD1D1E.jpeg

Suggest you practice changing a rear tube in the garage with the tools off the bike.  Can you remove the seat, adjust the clutch tension, reposition the brake handle after it rotates in a drop. With what you are carrying.

In my experience, CID will Not do it for you.   :dirol:

So safe to say that some type of saddlebag(s) won't be a bother?  I guess I kinda like the idea of having this stuff always on the bike instead of in a waist pack.  Are you guys saying this is the minimum to have or do you feel it is a bit on the cautious side?  From carrying nothing (I ride with a camelbak for water) to being overloaded, or somewhere in between!

I was good with all of the items you suggested doing, Bagstr, until you said "With what you are carrying"!  Point well taken (and as a stubborn German I'm painfully slow to ask for help and feel guilty if someone does something I should be able to do.  If I ever get to ride with CiD (or any of you guys) I will not expect much :) ).

7 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

So safe to say that some type of saddlebag(s) won't be a bother?  I guess I kinda like the idea of having this stuff always on the bike instead of in a waist pack.  Are you guys saying this is the minimum to have or do you feel it is a bit on the cautious side?  From carrying nothing (I ride with a camelbak for water) to being overloaded, or somewhere in between!

Best to have your tools and parts in a tank, saddle, or tail bag, but keep your phone, ID, wallet, some water and first aid items on your person in case you happen to crash and your bike gets launched off the side of some exposed trail. 

I never notice my wolfman saddlebags same overall size as ones ken has in pics but not as waterproof but they are cheaper. I leave on bike at all times or swap to my 950 when doing day trips

I've got the Giant Loop bags like shown on Ken S's pic.  Amazing what you can stuff in there.  I have a tube, a 12v tire inflator, tool roll, with wrenches,  a couple of tire irons  and assorted other stuff.  Nice not having to remember to pack each time. I just check it a few times each season to see see if i need to add or take anything out.   I keep my phone and wallet in the hydropack which is much lighter now without all the other stuff.  Had it a couple of years and its held up really well.  Work on your bike, take a tire off, tighten everything and see if you have the tools needed to do it in the pack.  What ever you don't have is what you will inevitably need.

1 hour ago, Ken S said:

Almost the same but not quite as much as Brian.  

Plugs for tubliss. 

JB Quick weld. 

CO2 tire inflation system. 

21 in tube which will work in the rear tire as well. 

Tire irons. 

Basic KTM tool kit that came with my bike. 

3 extra bottles of water 

Giant loop bags. Don’t even know they’re there while riding. 

Used to cary all that in a backpack. 

Just wore me out. 

B103ED98-5EF7-4D78-8B23-C4B41BFD1D1E.jpeg

Ken, any trouble with that bag melting on the exhaust? What's that thing called?

1 hour ago, Bagstr said:

Suggest you practice changing a rear tube in the garage with the tools off the bike.  Can you remove the seat, adjust the clutch tension, reposition the brake handle after it rotates in a drop. With what you are carrying.

In my experience, CID will Not do it for you.   :dirol:

I will offer unsolicited advice and heckle as needed. 

CiD

44 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

CiD

That's what friends are for...

8 hours ago, Ptkatoomer said:

Ken, any trouble with that bag melting on the exhaust? What's that thing called?

The bags came with a heat shield. 

No problem. 

10 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

CiD

Hey, every group needs a good trail supervisor...

CID supervising a tube change somewhere along the Mogollon Rim in Arizona

CID1.jpg.89392a89e29e16bd55d7732f8216edf4.jpg

CID supervising a tube change somewhere along the south rim of the Grand Canyon...

CID2.jpg.c564b4b517641d6b2056bffe76121e74.jpg

33 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Hey, every group needs a good trail supervisor...

CID supervising a tube change somewhere along the Mogollon Rim in Arizona

CID1.jpg.89392a89e29e16bd55d7732f8216edf4.jpg

CID supervising a tube change somewhere along the south rim of the Grand Canyon...

CID2.jpg.c564b4b517641d6b2056bffe76121e74.jpg

Helping MR Bowers in Death Valley.

AC0A42D5-5296-48F8-A854-FAC4F071CC62.jpeg

Helping Vapor somewhere in AZ

3F3C4BB8-5B7E-47D3-87D2-9F2C5D2B3D3C.jpeg

Helping Strega and Vapor in Utah

22C13500-D4B9-45F9-AF94-1842EBADBA5A.jpeg

Myself and Vapor and Strega helping in Utah

B002B84F-4167-4714-8CED-F3718A8392D7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Covered in Dust said:

I do change my own tires. This one was fun in 30 degree cold in Death Valley. PMB supervising.

6C8F7590-97AD-4666-80E3-E31FBD11B4C2.jpeg

I was offering unsolicited advice and heckling as needed. 

I know this question of what tools to carry comes up a lot. We will always have new members joining.  I think it would be cool if we had a list of "suggested"  tools to carry that could be pinned so people could see it. I am just worried that the list would become ridiculously long. What are your thoughts?

I like the idea.  While I am sure it will vary from one rider to the next, at least we could all see what the others feel is important, and then we could make up our own kit from there.  I'll admit to being embarrassed for not ever being prepared and just don't know how much is too much or too little now.  And since this stuff is important I don't want to be "that guy" on the trail!

23 hours ago, simicrintz said:

I was good with all of the items you suggested doing, Bagstr, until you said "With what you are carrying"!  Point well taken (and as a stubborn German I'm painfully slow to ask for help and feel guilty if someone does something I should be able to do.  If I ever get to ride with CiD (or any of you guys) I will not expect much :) ).

Dickkopf German? I have all tool and parts with me all the time. Yes there is some weight, but I can give fuel to a other bike, with out sucking it from the fuel tank. Thanks to BMW. A full tool set to change a tire, fix a tire, and even to adjust the valves if I need. I will make a list tomorrow after the ride.